Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello from Atlanta

First off, thanks for the awesome site. I've been lurking/reading for quite some time before posting, and I love the approach this site brings.

My name is Luke, I'm almost 30, and I'm trying to get back into some MA for fitness/defense/fun.

I originally took Wado Ryu as a kid, but haven't really taken MA in quite some time. I'm currently researching several schools in the Atlanta area, and I just wanted to say thanks for the great collection of information. As a skeptic at heart, I'm always thrilled to see a well thought-out and reality-based approach to anything.

I haven't seen a ton on schools in atlanta yet, so I'd love to share my experiences with you guys as I check out some of the schools. I've narrowed it down to three that I'm going to try out, one MMA/BJJ/Kickboxing gym, one traditional kr0tty/JJ dojo, and a Krav Maga school....I'm reserving judgement until I see what the courses are like, all seem legit at face value, but the devil is in the details.

Sorry for the long intro, just wanted to say hello and thank you to the members and founders that make this possible.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fancis Fong has a school in Atlanta, not sure where anymore.

Er... has the Chun- which I'd stay away from even though I hear he is quite good. But it also has Muay Thai and BJJ, can't go wrong there.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Fancis Fong has a school in Atlanta, not sure where anymore.

Er... has the Chun- which I'd stay away from even though I hear he is quite good. But it also has Muay Thai and BJJ, can't go wrong there.
    Here are some I'm going to try to hit up and observe/participate in before I decide to go with anything. I'd like to get an idea of what each one is about, plus look at costs before settling on one thing. Maybe you know of some of these spots?

1.Unit2 Fitness
    2.Atlanta Krav Maga[/URL
    3.The Martial Arts Center (I have a friend attending classes here.)
    4.)Atlanta Judo Midtown

*won't let me post links until I have 5 posts under my (white) belt.

These are the ones I've narrowed it down to. Out of all the styles I'm interested in learning about, these places pretty much cover all of the bases. I'd love any feedback you guys might have on these spots if you're familiar.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knuckle Up is in Atlanta, Unit2, Alliance is all over the place in Atlanta, the place is filled with quality BJJ, MMA, and Muay Thai.
    Fongs has a purple belt teaching BJJ at the moment I think, but there's really no point training there when proper training can be had everywhere around town.
    I'm in Athens, nearby. Whiteshark is in in the ATL as well.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Knuckle Up is in Atlanta, Unit2, Alliance is all over the place in Atlanta, the place is filled with quality BJJ, MMA, and Muay Thai.
    Fongs has a purple belt teaching BJJ at the moment I think, but there's really no point training there when proper training can be had everywhere around town.
    I'm in Athens, nearby. Whiteshark is in in the ATL as well.
    Yeah, the closest Knuckle Up to me is closed, so I need to find something close to me in town. I'll probably end up going with Unit2, but I'll have to wait to see what things are like after I try every place out. It's good to hear there are a decent number of GA boys on the site, I love the research and the data here.

Style
    BJJ, Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train at AKMF and love it.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet! Are you going to be there this Saturday? Do you train at the one in Roswell or Buckhead? I'm going in for the free class to check out the gym.

Style
    BJJ, Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I should be there Saturday. I go to the Buckhead location. Note that the Roswell location is the primary one, the Buckhead location is rented space in a more general gym. I'm not going to stay for the intro class though, there's a level 1 class from 12pm to 1pm and level 2 class from 1pm to 2pm, then the free intro class starts at 2:30, so if you have a lot of free time and want to watch what the regular classes are like you could show up early.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will probably do that, I appreciate the head's up!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One down, two to go. Next up: Atlanta Judo Midtown.

Side note: Atlanta Krav Maga was a great class. An hour and a half of high-impact, make an old guy like me sore the next day, kind of drilling and warm-ups. The only thing I didn't like about the class was the focus on defense drills with a somewhat compliant partner. The main instructor did let me know that sparring starts up around level 2, and continues in intensity until black belt level. All and all, I think it would be a good way to stay in shape, and a good way for people who have never thrown a punch learn how to do so. More to come on the other schools, can't wait to get down and dirty on the ground.

Side note #2: I observed a Muy Thai and a BJJ class at Unit2, and was amazed at the difference in my attitude from the Krav class and watching the folks at Unit 2. I felt tough leaving Krav Maga, even though I didn't really fight anyone. I felt completely humbled and excited watching the folks at Unit2 train. So far, they're on top of my list, but I've only observed so far, we'll see how the classes go when I'm all red faced and sweaty trying to do what they do.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last