My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xstyle View Post
    You can train in Muay thai and never spar so you'll never get hit then no injuries. Just go to the classes that teach technique and conditioning. The ones where you partner up, one guy holds the pads and you work on kicking, punching, kneeing, elbows, clinching etc, you just hit the pads (they wont hit back!) It'll whip you in shape and learn some Muay thai as well.

I'm prone to dislocating my shoulder and found in BJJ I had to be so carefull I lost interest. Constitantly telling people before we roll to take it easy on the one arm. When you get going and they try to go for a submission they usually forget which side and I let out a yelp in pain! lol
    ^ This is the kind of person you never take advice from.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 4:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you guys for all your input.

Here is a little update: As I hinted, I wanted to stop taking my Kung Fu / Sanda lessons not because I think my instructor is bad (he's quite amazing) but because he devoted 2 out of 3 days to forms and only 1 to Sanda and sparring, which wasn't enough for me.

Fortunately, it seems he's moving on to a bigger gym and he'll start two separate classes, so it will be 3 days a week wushu OR 3 days a week Sanda.

So, I'll stick to the full Sanda programme and pick BJJ up, so I can get my ground game rolling (no pun intended).

Does this look like a plan to you? Also, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the Sanda throws have perfect synergy with BJJ, since I could start the ground game from an advantageous position after one of those.

EDIT: Oh and by the way Gezere, how's your Baji doing? Still applying it? Do you think it's worth learning?
    Last edited by Nikorasu90; 4/24/2012 5:09pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 5:09pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just do it. Theorycrafting never made anyone good at martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 5:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannetosen View Post
    Just do it. Theorycrafting never made anyone good at martial arts.
    Neither did approaching it blindly.

I did 6 years of Aikido because I didn't know better, and I didn't want to theorycraft. In fact, our sensei would advise NOT to read on Aikido (he rightfully thought we would have our warning flags raised by the Ki crap). So I obeyed, and I spend 6 years of my life on it because I didn't want to theorycraft.

Now I just want to make sure I'm doing things that are worth my time. Not that I'm wasting it at the moment, as I said I'm doing Sanda. It doesn't have as much sparring as I'd like, but that will be fixed soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 5:47pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikorasu90 View Post
    Neither did approaching it blindly.

I did 6 years of Aikido because I didn't know better, and I didn't want to theorycraft. In fact, our sensei would advise NOT to read on Aikido (he rightfully thought we would have our warning flags raised by the Ki crap). So I obeyed, and I spend 6 years of my life on it because I didn't want to theorycraft.

Now I just want to make sure I'm doing things that are worth my time. Not that I'm wasting it at the moment, as I said I'm doing Sanda. It doesn't have as much sparring as I'd like, but that will be fixed soon.
    There's such a thing as overthinking things.

Any of those arts would work just fine. You enjoy Sanda and have a good teacher, so that's good. It's impossible to give you any advice seeing as you didn't link the school or name any of the coaches, but if they're all taught by competent teachers you can't go wrong with any of them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 6:03pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikorasu90 View Post
    None of those bother me. I can perfectly stand pain. As I stated before, I'm just concerned by permanent injury, and I want to have a rational analysis of which sport is more likely to make it happen.
    You're more likely to hurt yourself doing yoga than Muay Thai.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 6:42pm

Style: American Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    enroll in a better sanda class

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 4:32am

Style: Shaolin, Goshin Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some arts are more dangerous than others. I agree with the poster who said BJJ is probably the one least likely to cause you serious long term injury. But it's also the one that'll require the least physical conditioning.

At the end of the day, you will get injured whatever art you take. If you never receive an injury, it's a sign that you're either freakishly lucky or not going at it hard enough.

Avoiding SERIOUS injury that'll hurt you in the long term is not about which art you do, but how you do it. No one is intentionally looking to damage themselves. Everyone else that studies with you will share your aversion to career or hobby ending injuries.

Basically, just don't train like a retard. It's common sense. Lesson one isn't going to kill you anyway, so try out all the arts you listed if you're not sure what's for you. And don't be a *****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 4:44am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battheo View Post
    But it's also the one that'll require the least physical conditioning.
    Have you ever been to a BJJ class? It's one of the most demanding arts in terms of conditioning plus the rolling bit is also very hard for conditioning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 4:53am

Style: Shaolin, Goshin Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    Have you ever been to a BJJ class? It's one of the most demanding arts in terms of conditioning plus the rolling bit is also very hard for conditioning.
    Just to clarify, I'm addressing athletic conditioning only here.

Do you think BJJ requires the same level of fitness as Boxing, Judo, Muay Thai etc?

I do not take BJJ. But it seems to me that it's less of an exertion than, say, boxing.

This opinion, incidentally, is based on observation, second hand reports from friends and sparring partners who train BJJ, and what I've read on this site.

If I'm mistaken, by all means correct me. But some of the BJJ players I know would have difficulty completing a boxing warm up, let alone a whole session. That's not to say they can't fight (they can) and that some others aren't in great shape. Just that a focus on high level fitness (particularly cardio) is not stressed in the BJJ training methodology in the same way that it is in some other sport arts.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast