Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 9:39pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Systema- please come back, Wing Chun is fighting a lonely fight

I'm sick of Wing Chun trolls. I think we need some Systema trolls.

Met a guy on the weekend, apparently many years of martial arts experience, recently started systema. Couple of gems:

"First lesson we're chatting with the instructor before class when he picks up a huge chain with a knot in it and starts swinging it at us, telling us to dodge it because in real life you won't be ready and there'll be no time for warm up in a fight."

"Your partner punches and kicks you hard while you are doing push ups."

"There's no negative intent, you just learn that life is pain and you have to get on with it."

"I've learnt more in a few months about the concepts of fighting and using ballistic energy than I ever did in all the other arts."

Do they spar? "Yeah." Full force? "Well, it's controlled, there's no negative intent, but it hurts when you get hit."

But my favourite:

"With the ballistic hits, I can hit you here *indicating an uppercut style of punch just above my hip* and the bruise will end up here *indicates by imaginary line to back of opposite shoulder*"

Um, that's not how the body works, but okay. Instead of trying to argue with someone so obviously invested and because I didn't have my keyboard handy, I just referred him to Geoff Thompson's theory of Aliveness. Repeatedly. I hope he looks it up.

Anyway, I haven't seen anyone on here in a long time flying the Systema flag and having just had this recent discussion, it makes me wonder why the koolaid from Systema doesn't seem to include the magical component that makes Chunners storm this site. Maybe because they actually do get beaten up, albeit while doing push ups? Who knows. Maybe you do. If you do, tell me below.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 9:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My friend's son has been doing MMA for years and just quit recently to go all in on Systema. I just can't wrap my mind around how someone can make that kind of transition.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 10:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know why, but I feel it in my bones that silat is going to become a player in the world of internet big-fish stories.

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 11:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I reacently had a Krav guy teach me in class how to do elbows from mount.

I do MMA for fucks sake. This striking is not a suprise concept.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 12:46am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I reacently had a Krav guy teach me in class how to do elbows from mount.

I do MMA for fucks sake. This striking is not a suprise concept.
    That kind of seems like Krav in a nutshell though.

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 1:17am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh wow ... the ballistic punchers are in Australia now? This is awesome! Why you no Gong Sau this idiot? He a friend or something?

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 1:42am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Systems has 'ballistic' punching? So they can detach their hands and literally throw them at their opponents? Sweet!
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 2:15am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was a good enough bloke, a friend of a friend and it was the start of one of the most awesome parties ever (penthouse overlooking Bondi beach, unobstructed, with the average chick hotness being around an 8.9). I positioned myself as the fun sober guy from the outset, so a gong sau at the beginning of the night was out of the question, if he became a sloppy drunk with a big mouth, yeah, but he didn't. But there were some really funny moments, him telling me about the overweight guy who was heaps good on the ground, but he still managed to choke him out. It was around this time the conviction in his voice began to waiver, like he was realising inside that something wasn't right, whether I was giving off the vibe that I didn't subscribe to his diatribe, or he himself was beginning to see the light from my repeated jibes that sparring "has to be alive".

I'm fucking happy my rhyme style has come back, read that paragraphs last three lines. Also this and the previous sentence, but that'll be the last time.

I actually told him to check out this site, so if you're reading this, bro, it was good to meet you, don't think I am giving you ****. Couple of things, though, Systema sucks.

And secondly, dude, read The Game. You were in that corner entirely too long, completely oblivious to the rest of the party while you were trying so hard to pick up that chick and you left empty handed and way too quickly. Quick pointers, if she is hot, which she was, she will not like the over-attention guy. It's like a law or something amongst honey. If she has her legs crossed pointing away from you, she's hella not interested. AND NEVER EVER SPEND THE WHOLE NIGHT CHATTING UP THE ONE CHICK. It doesn't work. You have to play the field, EVEN IF IT SEEMS COUNTER INTUITIVE. Make it look like you have options, girls hate being an option. The best way to do that is to be the guy that everyone loves because he is awesome. Notice how everyone at the party loved me? Yeah, it's because I put in work, I used my charisma and I charmed. And not just the ladies. Notice how dudes were high fiving me all night, whenever I walked past, notice how they all were using my real name and yelling how awesome I am? I didn't know any of them. But they were like a billboard for me, advertising that I am the man that other men wish they were. Then notice all the ladies that spoke to me. Not me going and speaking to them, THEY sought ME out. Also, that chick is an awesome chick who lives with my mate and my mate is training her to be a stone cold mankiller.

Coincidentally that same mate used to own the pick up game around me in the past, he used to get me to rhyme for the girls and he even freely admits using my skills to vicariously pick up women because I just didn't have the closing skills. The thing is I do have them now, **** it was funny finally being able to cock block him for the first time by rhyming, at his request, to a chick and then drawing all her focus for the rest of the night. It sounds bad, but this is a dude who literally took a girls hand out of my hand when I was 18 and while we were on the way to my bedroom and proceeded to use my bedroom to **** her.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 3:43am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You get all the fun ones, I keep running into the same old ninjas here and their stories are not half as entertaining. I have to sit next to one at work, so I've been hearing the sport vs street argument lately.

Battlefields, since we are soon to be sharing a city - stay away from my sister!
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 4:24am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    He was a good enough bloke, a friend of a friend and it was the start of one of the most awesome parties ever (penthouse overlooking Bondi beach, unobstructed, with the average chick hotness being around an 8.9). I positioned myself as the fun sober guy from the outset, so a gong sau at the beginning of the night was out of the question, if he became a sloppy drunk with a big mouth, yeah, but he didn't. But there were some really funny moments, him telling me about the overweight guy who was heaps good on the ground, but he still managed to choke him out. It was around this time the conviction in his voice began to waiver, like he was realising inside that something wasn't right, whether I was giving off the vibe that I didn't subscribe to his diatribe, or he himself was beginning to see the light from my repeated jibes that sparring "has to be alive".

I'm fucking happy my rhyme style has come back, read that paragraphs last three lines. Also this and the previous sentence, but that'll be the last time.

I actually told him to check out this site, so if you're reading this, bro, it was good to meet you, don't think I am giving you ****. Couple of things, though, Systema sucks.

And secondly, dude, read The Game. You were in that corner entirely too long, completely oblivious to the rest of the party while you were trying so hard to pick up that chick and you left empty handed and way too quickly. Quick pointers, if she is hot, which she was, she will not like the over-attention guy. It's like a law or something amongst honey. If she has her legs crossed pointing away from you, she's hella not interested. AND NEVER EVER SPEND THE WHOLE NIGHT CHATTING UP THE ONE CHICK. It doesn't work. You have to play the field, EVEN IF IT SEEMS COUNTER INTUITIVE. Make it look like you have options, girls hate being an option. The best way to do that is to be the guy that everyone loves because he is awesome. Notice how everyone at the party loved me? Yeah, it's because I put in work, I used my charisma and I charmed. And not just the ladies. Notice how dudes were high fiving me all night, whenever I walked past, notice how they all were using my real name and yelling how awesome I am? I didn't know any of them. But they were like a billboard for me, advertising that I am the man that other men wish they were. Then notice all the ladies that spoke to me. Not me going and speaking to them, THEY sought ME out. Also, that chick is an awesome chick who lives with my mate and my mate is training her to be a stone cold mankiller.

Coincidentally that same mate used to own the pick up game around me in the past, he used to get me to rhyme for the girls and he even freely admits using my skills to vicariously pick up women because I just didn't have the closing skills. The thing is I do have them now, **** it was funny finally being able to cock block him for the first time by rhyming, at his request, to a chick and then drawing all her focus for the rest of the night. It sounds bad, but this is a dude who literally took a girls hand out of my hand when I was 18 and while we were on the way to my bedroom and proceeded to use my bedroom to **** her.

Firstly - Thanks for the invite jerk! :P

Secondly - That book is like a legend around my mates.

Thirdly - I totally get that, I was trying to be funny, but also I thought this was at training or something like that. I have a friend that does GKR, I don't cause **** with that person, they're lovely people, I have no beef with them.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast