Administrator

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 10:03am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    To all of you that responded with "just spar and train more", you missed the point of my question 100%. I am fully aware that sparring will refine my skill at blocking, however my question was about the base and theory of that skill itself. Which is why I was asking about reference materials on the subject, to try and find an alternative base theory to see if that clicked better for me.
    Are you normally just a fucking asshole about this? If you were my student I'd give you 100 push ups just for stating this. Don't blame others for your lack of clarity. You asked the question be more specific. Now I haven't given any answer but on behalf of all those you insinuated were wrong feel free to go **** yourself.

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 10:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Are you normally just a fucking asshole about this? If you were my student I'd give you 100 push ups just for stating this. Don't blame others for your lack of clarity. You asked the question be more specific. Now I haven't given any answer but on behalf of all those you insinuated were wrong feel free to go **** yourself.
    Ok I suppose I deserve that comment, Geesh sorry I had a bad weekend and it's effected my attitude. Yes I should have clarified better I'll work on that lol.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 10:30am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok I suppose I deserve that comment, Geesh sorry I had a bad weekend and it's effected my attitude. Yes I should have clarified better I'll work on that lol.
    LOL, you post like this all of the time it isn't a bad weekend.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To all of you that responded with "just spar and train more", you missed the point of my question 100%.
    For the Nth time, Bnet is right and everyone else is wrong.

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 10:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    For the Nth time, Bnet is right and everyone else is wrong.
    Now see how easy that was?? Lol like I said I should have been more specific and less assholey. Sorry for the rant.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 1:03pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'm not too sure about Karate blocks and stuff like that because I only did Karate for a little while when I was a kid. But, I find that foot work is one of the best things that you can work on by yourself. FMA footwork has been great for my stand up game. Unfortunately for you, the FMA community holds these type of things behind lock and key and doesn't like to give them out for free.

I have some books on the subject, but honestly I couldn't make heads or tails of it until I was shown in person. But I have seen some good Dog Brothers video that had awesome footwork in it. You may want to check some of those out.

The footwork would probably be about the only thing you can do because everything else: slip drills, perrying, and stuff like that is only trained well with a partner.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 4:39pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm looking for a little advise here on better blocking, basically I'm looking for advise on how to judge the timing and angle better. I have decent but could be better head coverage, but I'm too open to body shots. Also close in but not quite at clinch seems to throw me off on my timing. Is there any good reading material I can refer to?? I would even settle for a decent DVD or YouTube vid. Now before I get the standard response of ask your instructor, I am currently between dojos and just want to tweak my skills before I head back to training. Mostly so I don't look to much like a noob.
    No offense, but if not for your post count, I would assume this was trolling.

(1) You asked a question that would best be answered by a coach/sensei/sifu watching you.
    (2) You asked for technical advice while not specifying what style you were interested in.
    (3) You asked a question that would normally be answered by a cacophony of "Spar more!"

Then, you acted surprised when the cacophony of "Spar more" happened.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 5:52pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nööb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mostly so I don't look to much like a noob.
    I feel like if you step into a gym with a lot of youtube knowledge you're gonna look like the worst kind of noob anyway.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 7:21pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Use gorilla tape
    2 "stage" right is YOUR left
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 10:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    I feel like if you step into a gym with a lot of youtube knowledge you're gonna look like the worst kind of noob anyway.
    Sigh, you are missing my point. I'm am only seeking reference materials on the subject of blocking. From that material I'm hoping to perhaps gain an alternative way of looking at it. That's it that's all I'm trying to do. I'm not in any way trying to learn to block from a vid. I'm only looking to gain knowledge on the subject.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast