Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 4:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Seeking advice on blocking

I'm looking for a little advise here on better blocking, basically I'm looking for advise on how to judge the timing and angle better. I have decent but could be better head coverage, but I'm too open to body shots. Also close in but not quite at clinch seems to throw me off on my timing. Is there any good reading material I can refer to?? I would even settle for a decent DVD or YouTube vid. Now before I get the standard response of ask your instructor, I am currently between dojos and just want to tweak my skills before I head back to training. Mostly so I don't look to much like a noob.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 4:50pm

Style: Tabimina Balintawak

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bneterasedmynam,

You cannot increase your ability to block/defend by watching a youtube video or getting pointers from people. While various systems or instructors might have different ideas on methodology or advocate differing emphasis on hand placement or whatever, the bottom line is that heightening your timing and success rate in defense only happens through repeatedly responding to a stimulus. Unfortunately, there is really no way around that...If you are without instruction, find training partner who you can work it out with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 6:35pm

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 6:52pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Title changed:
    Seeking advise on blocking

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 2:56am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DubhGhaill View Post
    Rodney King's DVDs worked wonder for me...
    That name... makes me not trust anything to do with not getting hit at all.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 3:18am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Is there any good reading material I can refer to?? I would even settle for a decent DVD or YouTube vid.
    You can refer to various different sources, but unless you have coaching, the references will do you little good. Even if you do have a trainer, the references are just that.
    I am currently between dojos and just want to tweak my skills before I head back to training.
    While you are between dojos, find a good boxing gym and trainer.
    I'm looking for a little advise here on better blocking, basically I'm looking for advise on how to judge the timing and angle better. I have decent but could be better head coverage, but I'm too open to body shots. Also close in but not quite at clinch seems to throw me off on my timing.
    Again, find a good boxing gym and trainer.

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 7:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What style are you training, or looking to start training? If I remember correctly you were training some sort of Karate, correct? Are you still looking for that, or changing?

Because you wouldn't want to build muscle memory that you are just going to have to unlearn when you get to the school that you are wanting to train in.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 8:26am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it odd that you will search in books or tv a solution to a physical problem that obviously can only be solved by practice...I don't think allot of fighters got good by reading how to fight.
    You can get some good ideas from youtube or books on how to train for a better defense, but otherwise it's a waste of your time.
    Just get yourself into a gym, or at least find a sparring partner, put some gloves on and get busy.

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 8:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    What style are you training, or looking to start training? If I remember correctly you were training some sort of Karate, correct? Are you still looking for that, or changing?

Because you wouldn't want to build muscle memory that you are just going to have to unlearn when you get to the school that you are wanting to train in.
    Thank you for being the only one that actually understood the question I was asking lol. Yes I probably am going to stick with karate for now since I had alot of fun with it. Mostly I was just looking for reference materials on blocking and timing to see if there was a better theorem for the angles and timing of blocking.

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 8:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To all of you that responded with "just spar and train more", you missed the point of my question 100%. I am fully aware that sparring will refine my skill at blocking, however my question was about the base and theory of that skill itself. Which is why I was asking about reference materials on the subject, to try and find an alternative base theory to see if that clicked better for me.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast