Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 2:52pm

Style: Tabimina Balintawak

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Filipino Martial Arts in Destin, FL

Hi Bullshido members,

I spoke to one of the moderators who said this is the best section for this post. If it belongs elsewhere, I apologize in advance--Im not real familiar with the organization of the forum.

At any rate, my name is Josh Walker and I train and teach a system of Arnis (Tabimina Balintawak) in Destin, FL. Im working towards building a base of students in Destin and the surrounding areas. In that effort, if there are members on the forum that have any interest in Arnis, all are welcome to visit here in Destin for training in the system I train and teach.

Additionally, in an effort to provide the martial art community an unbiased review of what I am teaching in the area, Im willing to provide a free intro session to anyone who wants to come train and follow up with an honest, unbiased review here on the Gym & School Ratings portion of Bullshido. Since I still only rent space from a small local studio and I generally only teach private 1-1 sessions by appointment, I understand that I wont score well on some portions of the rating system such as amenities, etc; But Im really only concerned with the perceived quality of the instruction Im providing. Id like to also mention that this is not meant as any type of challenge; Im simply looking for people who are wanting to train and/or willing to write a review for Bullshido archives.

My local website is here:
    http://tabiminabalintawakse.com/

The main website for the HQ in Manila is here:
    http://tabiminabalintawak.com/

I can be contacted by email at jpwhsv@gmail.com or by phone at (256) 527-1730. I will check the thread as often as I can in case there are any questions, etc that pop up here...

Thanks for reading! =)
    Josh

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 7:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Josh. Welcome to Bullshido. I'm guessing that Jessie used to train with you? I've rolled with him a few times. I currently train stick in Pensacola. A guy that I train with, Billy, has visited your school before, I believe.

Anyways, I would be glad to do a review of your school and style for Bullshido if you would like. I'm not sure when I will be able to get out to Destin to visit, I'm busy this weekend. But maybe over the next couple of weeks.

It will also be cool to meet local FMA guys. And if you are ever in Pensacola, and want to do some stick sparring, let me know. Right now we are training Monday nights out at some baseball fields.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 12:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Diesel,

I did meet Jesse back in 2010 when I moved down here but he trained in a different lineage of the art and I believe the drive made it difficult for him to come out here for training. As for Billy, I cant recall for sure. I think Ive talked with him on the phone but weve not yet had the chance to actually meet up, if memory serves me...and it may not lol.

Sure thing, you are welcome out here any time--I appreciate the offer to come out and provide a review. My schedule is very flexible, so just let me know when you want to come out and we can get something arranged. And of course, likewise, it will be great to meet some others involved with FMA! =)

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 1:05pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, OK. Yeah, Billy trained with Jesse somewhere a couple times. So that may have been another place.

But yeah, we will set it up and get some training in! The more the better!!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2012 7:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Diesel,
    Hows the schedule looking? Im pretty wide open the May 12-13 weekend. Let me know, would enjoy meeting up when its convenient for you.

Offer still stand for others, Im happy to provide a free hour of training for others who want to come on out. Still interested in getting some reviews up...

Posted On:
    5/01/2012 9:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All my weekends are pretty booked up to make it out to destin. But I spoke to my coach and if you would like to come to Pensacola and do some sparring, you are welcome. We spar every time we train.

How often do you spar at your place? We are currently using padded sticks with gloves, helmets, and knee pads. Otherwise full contact and full speed.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 7:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Diesel,

I appreciate the invitation, but its difficult for me to get out to Pensacola, and really my goal here is to provide sessions to people interested in Tabimina Balintawak. If ever I head out that way, I will let you know, and of course if youre out this way, my invitation stands.

As for sparring, what we do is unconventional, but from the students perspective all the training is in a sense sparring, from start to finish. We dont have hubud or sumbrada or any of the other flow drills, etc found in most FMA. Its always a focused training to hone the reaction of the student in a non-choreographed, pressurized environment.
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 5/03/2012 8:09am at .

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 8:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I understand. Destin is not as close to Pensacola as it seems!! But I will be going to Panama City in June, so I may be able to drop over at that time.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with Tabimina Balintawak. I'm very interested in what it is. I've never really been into hubud, sumbrada, or forms. I did tons of forms in other arts and really got wore out by the whole thing. I've heard some of the Dog Brothers talk about Balintawak and apparently Crafty Dog uses the traping stuff for close or inside work. I haven't hear much about long range or outside type footwork. And I haven't really seen any videos of Balintawak footwork. Most of the videos I've seen kind of look like a combination of boxing and Wing Chun with a stick. But I may be way off base there, because I'm pretty ignorant of the system.

But yeah, as long as it is being pressure tested and the sparring is alive, it must be good. I'm very interested to check your system out.

I see you make dit da jow too. I may have to hit you up for some of that, when I make it by!!
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 3:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Diesel,

Do you know when you will be in Panama City? Ill be in Orlando training June 3-7 and in Oklahoma teaching from June 19-24, so heres hoping your travel dates dont overlap...

Videos of Tabimina Balintawak arent real useful for seeing how things are done because the focus isnt on techniques or footwork methods, etc, and we almost never perform movements slowly or without pressure. Its a reaction-based system so the focus here is on installing productive reactionary responses in the nervous system, real-time and under pressure. I get all excited talking about it, but conceptualizing things probably wont answer any questions; you really have to just feel it...

Yea, I do make jow--lots of it! Id be happy to give you a good deal on a bottle when youre in town. There are a couple formulas that are particularly well accepted by the MMA/BJJ crowd, Im sure you would enjoy.
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 5/03/2012 3:58pm at .

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 8:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'll be in panama city the first full week in June. We will get there on Sunday and leave on Sunday. So I should still be able to meet up with you!

Yeah, I know it's hard to get proper perception of stuff across on video. And I would love to get a feel for it first hand.

And definately, I will buy some of that jow from you!!
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast