Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Questions about starting BJJ

Hello everybody. First, sorry for the thread necro, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread when this one is stickied.

Anyways, I've decided on beginning training in BJJ. My main concern is "What do I need to know before I start training?"

I'm 27 and relatively healthy. I know absolutely nothing about BJJ, other than some techniques that are taught in the US Army's combatives program. I've decided on BJJ because, while I have a background in Karate, everything else in this town looks like crap. The school I'm looking at is small, cheap, and ran out of a church basement...but they have a good reputation.

As I have no experience with BJJ, I don't know what will be expected of me on the first day. What mindset should I have stepping into a foreign eperience? I'm somewhat nervous, but I want to find something that gets me off my couch and into better shape.

Anyways, sorry if this isn't the place...i'm just curious as to what you veterans would tell somebody who wants to do BJJ, but hasn't taken the plunge yet.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Removed from: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108818

Welcome to Bullshido. This forum is better suited to your thread/question, so I moved it here.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, jnp. I wasn't sure whether i should post here or in the other thread.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi warlor...here is a post i did a while back describing my first 6 months bjj starting as a total noob. I'm a little older than you, but I think it's a pretty fair assessment of what to expect.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119448

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rhino, that was pretty informative. Thanks.

How does ranking work. From what I've read it goes White, Blue, Purple, Brown, Black...but what is it with stripes? Is it "Oh, I've got five stripes, now I get the next belt?" I'm not concerned with "How long til I get black belt" so much as how does the ranking system work.

The school I'm looking at trains 5 days a week, so I'm going to try to go out tonight or tomorrow.

I'm definitely thinking of keeping a journal, that way I can do something like your first six months.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warlordgrego View Post
    Rhino, that was pretty informative. Thanks.

How does ranking work. From what I've read it goes White, Blue, Purple, Brown, Black...but what is it with stripes? Is it "Oh, I've got five stripes, now I get the next belt?" I'm not concerned with "How long til I get black belt" so much as how does the ranking system work.

The school I'm looking at trains 5 days a week, so I'm going to try to go out tonight or tomorrow.

I'm definitely thinking of keeping a journal, that way I can do something like your first six months.

Every school is different regarding stripes. Some don't use them at all and I actually saw one guy at Long Island Pride that had like 9 stripes red and black on his white belt.

At Alliance, after you earn 4 stripes, you "may" be asked to test for your blue belt. Some schools don't test at all. Every school does it differently. It's not that big a deal. I'm probably 8 months to a year away from my blue belt if I can keep training consistently.

Keeping a journal definitely helps in a big way. I don't go into much detail on my entries, but i do keep track of hours of mat time and the techniques learned. It helps gauge progress.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I went to my first class last night.

Over all, I wasn't overly impressed. Mainly, I didn't feel the two blue belts (one should be a purple belt soon!) that were instructing were overly qualified. Apparently they normally have a brown belt that runs the class, but he doesn't come everyday. As I said, I have done some grappling in the past. I could tell the two instructors were knowledgable, but they were really focused on showing some advanced moves they learned at a seminar with Carlson Gracie.

My main issue is that the area just looked dingy and unkempt. The two blue belts wore wrinkled gis of questionable cleanliness. Nobody smelled bad, but it was hard for me to want to roll in a place that looked unclean. Its out of the back of a church, so I wasn't expecting a mega gym, but I didn't see anybody cleaning the mats or anything after the class was over. I was the last one out with the instructor because I was asking questions, so I really hope they clean before today's class.

I'll probably go again tomorrow, just to see if the bad stuff was a fluke. If I don't see anything different, I probably won't continue going.

In summation, these guys seem like talented, passionate people with poor facilities.

Style
    Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How cheap is the gym membership? Invest in gi soap and long-sleeve rash-guards if you're going to keep going!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    How cheap is the gym membership? Invest in gi soap and long-sleeve rash-guards if you're going to keep going!
    Membership is only $40 a month for two three classes a week. I can pay $50 and attend classes six days a week, but some of the classes are really just for roll time. I'm really hoping that the hygiene issues are addressed when I go back tonight. I'm thinking that maybe since the head instructor wasn't there, maybe they just forgot. The guys were all super nice though.

I don't care about a wrinkled gi that much, as long as its clean. However, I do think it looks somewhat unprofessional when you're dealing with new people. That could just be my karate background coming out though, because we were required to have wrinkle-free gis.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a link to Slideyfoot's, our English BJJ ambassador, page for beginners. It contains a huge list of links to articles that answer questions people new to BJJ usually ask.

http://www.slideyfoot.com/2006/10/bjj-beginner-faq.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last