Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 4:57am

Style: BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Silliest overkill for a minor injury?

So, my husband and I are both Judo noobs. We were working together to drill Ko-uchi-gari in class - nice and slow to start with.

I've no idea what went wrong, but on one of the times it was my turn to be uke, I felt my husband's foot catch the front of the wrong leg on the way in. I was just about to whine about how much that hurt, when I looked down and saw his little toe pointing out at a 90 degree angle.

We've both had toe injuries from karate, and normally just tape them up and ignore them, but with the toe being at such an odd angle he decided to go to the local walk in for an x-ray.

It's an impressive break, and the walk-in didn't feel qualified to deal with it, so they booked an appointment at the fracture clinic at a different hospital. Apparently the pediatric doctor is eager to take a look at the joint. The doctor told the walk in to put him in a half cast to protect the toe until the appointment.

So, for a broken little toe, he now has crutches, and this:

Has anyone else had any crazy treatments like that?

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 6:32am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ignored my doctor and now i have a fully healed little toe that would look less out of place on Shrek's foot.

Maybe we're not the best source of medical information?
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 6:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    I ignored my doctor and now i have a fully healed little toe that would look less out of place on Shrek's foot.

Maybe we're not the best source of medical information?
    Sorry to hear that. I hope it's not giving you pain / affecting your movement.

This wasn't a post asking for medical advice - just a "Check out this overkill" - it's a little toe... you'd think they could do some form of small cast / bandage. I was curious as to whether it was a common thing.

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 11:23am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it looks like they were just being lazy and it was easier to do that. It's like when the gas station attendant stops you at 9.66 cents instead of 9.99
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 2:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by etali View Post
    So, my husband and I are both Judo noobs. We were working together to drill Ko-uchi-gari in class - nice and slow to start with.

I've no idea what went wrong, but on one of the times it was my turn to be uke, I felt my husband's foot catch the front of the wrong leg on the way in. I was just about to whine about how much that hurt, when I looked down and saw his little toe pointing out at a 90 degree angle.
    How on earth did he manage that?

My toe hurt, reading about that.

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 4:08pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dislocated mine doing a wrestling swichout thing on jigsaw mats. By the time I got to the hospital it was back in.

I got a panadol.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 11:01pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My girlfriend broke her big toe when she got out of bed one morning by stubbing it really hard (she woke up with her leg asleep, and didn't realize she had slammed her toe so hard). She then worked as a student nurses assistant for eight hours, then went to the urgent care where the RN who assisted her did a horrible job wrapping. When she came to my house later that day, I wrapped it about ten times better than the RN did.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 8:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have long toes and I've broken my little toes twice each. I've broken them both in training. I reinjured one pushing off the mat while rolling after I thought it was healed. I reinjured the other by stubbing the **** out of it on a piece of oak furniture when I was running to catch the phone. THAT hurt bad.

The first break happened just like your husband's. I was going for a throw and caught my opponent's shin. That one wasn't too bad and I just let it heal.

Another time we were practicing throws and I landed with my foot turned the wrong way and it snapped my little toe at a 90 degree angle. I decided to get that one looked at because I didn't want it to heal crazy and cause problems when I ran. They gave me a big inflatable boot after they straightened the toe out. It seemed kind of ridiculous but it beats the hell out of kicking a piece of furniture with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 8:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    How on earth did he manage that?

My toe hurt, reading about that.
    I've no idea what happened. We were being watched by an instructor, and had gone through the drill four or five times correctly, then suddenly that happened.

@gregaquaman - I've heard lots of people hurt their toes on those mats. I'm dreading going back to BJJ now because I'm scared just reading about them!

@devil - My husband has long toes too. Did yours toughen up eventually, or have you just learned how not to break them?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/24/2012 9:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by etali View Post
    @devil - My husband has long toes too. Did yours toughen up eventually, or have you just learned how not to break them?
    I solved the problem by quitting training, lol. Actually, that wasn't the reason.

I used tape but it was a pain in the ass. It always wants to come off when you get sweaty unless you wrap half your foot with tape and that still doesn't want to stay sometimes. And I felt like an idiot walking around with both feet taped all to hell anyway.

I wore wrestling shoes whenever it was permitted. That's the only thing that really worked well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast