Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Oedipus View Post
Sorry to resurrect a thread, I've been out of the country for a while.

I see your point, and I absolutely agree, but I'd counter with this: the first video, from what I understand, is an example of the KFM "distance learning" package, which I assume is utter crap. Also, I've never done any of those moves in class, at least not that way--sliding in with the elbow like that, for example, resembles nothing I've seen from my instructors. On the other hand, the elbow strikes from the FMA video are pretty much what I drill in class, except the pensataq.

The guy putting on that video's KFM demonstration is Justo Dieguez, who runs KFM--Andy Norman, who (from what I'm told) has better credentials as a fighter, along with the guy who runs my gym and several other folks, recently split off from KFM to form something called Defence Lab. It seems one of the principal reasons for this split was KFM's awful, awful marketing tactics, but I'm also told Defence Lab's curriculum will be slightly different.

Honestly, that second video looks much more like what I do in class than the first. The parrying and hand trapping (and the knife work) looks like what I see advanced students in my class doing. The high, crazy monkey style blocks with elbows out and hands on head look exactly like our pensador drills. The main difference I can see is that the FMA guy uses mid-height blocks more than high guard, particularly cross-arm (which we also drill at my gym, but less frequently than "peek-a-boo" style pensador), and that he stands much taller--when I stand like that in class the instructor always comes over to remind me that I'm doing KFM (or "Defence Lab," now), not boxing, so I need to get lower (hell of a quad workout) and keep my hands higher.

What does this mean? Maybe, like a few people have said, KFM/Defence Lab is just watered down JKD/FMA/whatever. But regardless of that, if that second video is an example of good martial arts training, I think I'm satisfied with what I'm learning at my gym, and when I move (to Mexico City, maybe?) I'm pretty sure the skills, reflexes, and conditioning I'll have acquired will serve me well when I sign up for another martial art.
KFM and NUDDA are both derivatives from the Lacoste-Inosanto Blend of FMA.
The different paths that they have taken is completely attributed to the vision of their creator.

So if your ex-KFM/Defence Lab instructor's vision is more of the type of the NUDDA vision, it will be better for you, but remember that there will still be "gimmickly" moves in your style.

I would say:
- Enjoy your training
- Watch some NUDDA on the internet
- When you get more experienced, try to pinpoint the "gimmickly" from the "realistic" techniques
- in your sparring with other classmates, keep the usage of "gimmickly" techniques to a bare minimum (just enough, so that your instructor doesn't come to ask you, why you are sparring Panantukan instead of KFM/Defence Lab)
- Later on in your Martial Arts career/path, just drop the "gimmickly" techniques out of your repetoire.

Hope that this helps.