Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 2:53pm

Style: MMA, Wrestling, TMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good Training at NYU/NYC?

Hey guys, I'm leaving my home of Plano, Texas (one of the greatest places in the U.S. to train; Guy Mezger, Carlos Machado, and Saekson Janira are all within 20 minutes drive) to go to college at NYU. I was hoping someone would have some insight as to what I should do to continue training.

I want to do more realistic full contact training (MMA, Muay Thai, Sanda, whatever). I have a lot of experience in TMA, but I've been training in MMA too for the past several years, and I spent last year exclusively on MMA. A lot of the gyms around the area look kind of silly (if I had a dime for every Wing Chun master...). I got my blue belt in BJJ this year and I know Renzo has a gym up there, but they don't teach striking.

At first I thought maybe I could just train in the club combat sports at NYU, but it's really limited. There's a BJJ club, Judo as a club sport, and then a lot of stuff that I'm not interested in like TKD, Kendo, Capoeira, Kung Fu, and Kempo Karate. It's really weird because they have all these crazy intramural and club sports, but don't offer wrestling or boxing. Wrestling is only available if you're on the NYU collegiate team, and boxing is nowhere to be found. And I was really hoping to continue my wrestling after high school.

So basically, does anyone know anything I don't about training in NYC or even at NYU specifically? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 3:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShaolin View Post
    Hey guys, I'm leaving my home of Plano, Texas (one of the greatest places in the U.S. to train; Guy Mezger, Carlos Machado, and Saekson Janira are all within 20 minutes drive) to go to college at NYU. I was hoping someone would have some insight as to what I should do to continue training.

I want to do more realistic full contact training (MMA, Muay Thai, Sanda, whatever). I have a lot of experience in TMA, but I've been training in MMA too for the past several years, and I spent last year exclusively on MMA. A lot of the gyms around the area look kind of silly (if I had a dime for every Wing Chun master...). I got my blue belt in BJJ this year and I know Renzo has a gym up there, but they don't teach striking.

At first I thought maybe I could just train in the club combat sports at NYU, but it's really limited. There's a BJJ club, Judo as a club sport, and then a lot of stuff that I'm not interested in like TKD, Kendo, Capoeira, Kung Fu, and Kempo Karate. It's really weird because they have all these crazy intramural and club sports, but don't offer wrestling or boxing. Wrestling is only available if you're on the NYU collegiate team, and boxing is nowhere to be found. And I was really hoping to continue my wrestling after high school.

So basically, does anyone know anything I don't about training in NYC or even at NYU specifically? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    go to ny combat sambo or ronin athletics for MMA, go to mendez boxing for pure boxing, go to renzo's or marcelo garcia for BJJ, go to kokushi budo or oishi dojo for judo.

you're welcome.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2012 8:59pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShaolin View Post
    ...I know Renzo has a gym up there, but they don't teach striking...
    Actually, they do. Renzo's has some very good Thai boxing instructors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2012 6:33pm

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm. So Renzo opened up a place near me in Middletown, NY. I'm guessing he's not going to be teaching class up in Middletown. http://www.renzograciemmaacademy.com/index.html

Posted On:
    7/04/2012 8:43pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    go to ny combat sambo or ronin athletics for MMA, go to mendez boxing for pure boxing, go to renzo's or marcelo garcia for BJJ, go to kokushi budo or oishi dojo for judo.

you're welcome.
    what ming said. i'm one of the assistant instructors at Ronin Athletics if you've got any questions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 2:17pm

Style: MMA, Wrestling, TMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright thanks guys, Ronin Athletics and NY Combat Sambo both look great. vinh, I wanted to ask, does Ronin Athletics have any special plans for college students?