Posted On:
    4/19/2012 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    So on what level would you put them?
    compared to what? a kickboxer? they looked like what a lot of amateur first time kickboxers look like when they fight. of course those are usually dudes with a year or so experience- one of those dudes in the vid had a black belt at least.

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 9:40pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    compared to what? a kickboxer? they looked like what a lot of amateur first time kickboxers look like when they fight. of course those are usually dudes with a year or so experience- one of those dudes in the vid had a black belt at least.
    Yes kickboxers you know as you are a fighter, just of curiosity whats your opinion on Kyokushin?

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 9:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    I didn't her a single "kiaaaaaaaaaaa" in the whole video.
    We sure this is really TKD????
    They have a Muay Thai fighter from my country who has a record in South America and some training in Thailand as a MMA teacher and training with them

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 7:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I was in the internetz checking about a fighter from y country and found this videos of TKD sparring under MMA rules, with lowkicks and headpunches

As you can see In my opinion thas quite good...
    funny my cousin has a challenge fight vs a TKD champion but chances are slim he trains like that
    This is the biggest problem for tma schools that try to transition into more alive forms of sparring/competing, instead of gradual increments towards full contact, you have two guys swinging for the fences, looking ridiculous and putting off the majority of people who aren't sure.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 10:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's no sense of calmness, which makes me wonder about the rulesets under which they spar, and the training they are receiving. Usually when people spar like this it means there's a top-down issue in how composure is communicated.

Compare this to a Koyukushin fight

Or Muay Thai sparring

Or Boxing sparring

and the difference is there's a lot less flailing and a lot more sense of purpose from the above, rather than those TKD fighters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    This is the biggest problem for tma schools that try to transition into more alive forms of sparring/competing, instead of gradual increments towards full contact, you have two guys swinging for the fences, looking ridiculous and putting off the majority of people who aren't sure.
    Yeah, this was also common enough in the sanshou/sanda scene I've seen.

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 12:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn I'm really learning a lot here in Bullshido, thank you all for your input especially Gabetuno

Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Usually when people spar like this it means there's a top-down issue in how composure is communicated.
    Could you elaborate on this?

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 1:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What didn't you understand about it?
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 1:32pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you elaborate on this?
    I'm not Gabe but I appreciate what he's saying, and its something like this: guys at dojo X hear that aliveness and sparring are important for arts that work in the real world. They've been told for years that their art works in the real world, therefore, it stands to reason that they should be able to spar using what they know. However, their training methodology likely becomes mostly the old compliant drills they've always done, and hard sparring for a small fraction of it. Coming from an "ancient combat proven art" they've already spent some time talking about how there's no rules in a real fight, so they figure minimum rules is the best way to go. That way, they can say how legit they are even though they likely use excessive safety gear, or, alternatively, no gear and a very, very low level of intensity and intent during sparring.

Because most of their training in the past is not sparring but is instead likely to be katas and choreographed techniques, they probably know how to throw their weight around and kiai and punch hard, but not how to receive such an attack, so they hit each other too hard, usually without tucking the chin or hunching the shoulders or raising the hands for better defense because that would be bad krotty. This leads to the kind of striking where even though they're swinging for the fences, they're very jumpy and nervous, and will often punch while trying to lean away at the same time so they aren't punched too.

One of the reasons this kind of thing can happen, is that if you spend all your time doing kata etc and only spar a little bit, you want to get the most out of sparring, so you take it seriously and try hard. However, between kata and occasional hard sparring, the thing that often gets kicked to the curb is light sparring. Its a shame, because that's where you really develop a lot of the things you should develop.

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 1:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'm not Gabe but I appreciate what he's saying, and its something like this: guys at dojo X hear that aliveness and sparring are important for arts that work in the real world. They've been told for years that their art works in the real world, therefore, it stands to reason that they should be able to spar using what they know. However, their training methodology likely becomes mostly the old compliant drills they've always done, and hard sparring for a small fraction of it. Coming from an "ancient combat proven art" they've already spent some time talking about how there's no rules in a real fight, so they figure minimum rules is the best way to go. That way, they can say how legit they are even though they likely use excessive safety gear, or, alternatively, no gear and a very, very low level of intensity and intent during sparring.

Because most of their training in the past is not sparring but is instead likely to be katas and choreographed techniques, they probably know how to throw their weight around and kiai and punch hard, but not how to receive such an attack, so they hit each other too hard, usually without tucking the chin or hunching the shoulders or raising the hands for better defense because that would be bad krotty. This leads to the kind of striking where even though they're swinging for the fences, they're very jumpy and nervous, and will often punch while trying to lean away at the same time so they aren't punched too.

One of the reasons this kind of thing can happen, is that if you spend all your time doing kata etc and only spar a little bit, you want to get the most out of sparring, so you take it seriously and try hard. However, between kata and occasional hard sparring, the thing that often gets kicked to the curb is light sparring. Its a shame, because that's where you really develop a lot of the things you should develop.
    I wasn't really trying to say that. I mean that may be true but I just don't know.

My point was more that instructors usually set an example, either with themselves or their other high-level students. If I walked into a gym - knowing absolutely 0 about boxing but knowing what I know about BJJ - and everyone was swinging like these dudes and nobody was saying "slow down", "conserve", or "take your time, set things up", I'd be suspicious.

Most every martial art I know uses strategies and economy of some manner. In boxing, if you throw a one-two-three, the three is typically thrown harder than the others. One-two is the set up, three is the damage. Chess players do this too when they play, using combinations of moves to drive you toward a goal. There are little goals within big goals, and even smaller goals within the little goals.

When people spar in the OP video, the one thing that's very evident to me is that none of that is going on. And I blame whomever is teaching them for not communicating it properly [assuming that this isn't like just a smoker for noobs].

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12