Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 5:04pm

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weak nose

Not sure if this belongs here or in the health section but I've got a little question... I know this is my second thread in two days and I hope not to make a habit of it but I've have something that has been bothering me for a while now and wondering if I could get some advice from you guys.

See the problem is... I've got a weak nose. Always have done, it's prone to bleeding a lot and can be set off with little effort. A single jab can set it straight off.

This has been causing problems and it really affects my training, specially the sparring. I'd like to get in on the inside and work my boxing (which is hilariously bad) or even simply be able to stick with my sparring partners. However the risk of getting tagged on the nose forces me to constantly be on the outside and be on the defensive and leaving my partner to dictate the fight.

I don't have a problem with blood, I've had this all my life so you get used to it. However the problem is, once I get tagged and I start bleeding, I have to alt sparring, stop the bleeding, clean myself up, come back and clean the blood up off the floor and I look like a bit of a plonker for it all. By the time that's all finished, sparring could be over and I've missed out on a vital part of the lesson. In a ring, I wouldn't worry too much as I imagine I'd still be able to fight with a bit of a bloodied nose, however I imagine the instinct is going to kick in and that fear is going to carry over from sparring and going to affect my fighting.

Wondering if anyone here as ever had this problem and if you have any advice or a solution for this. I'd be grateful for any help concerning this thank you.

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 5:21pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Sovvolf

There is a wealth of information on the site here on all things martial arts. Se sure to use the search function at the top of the page as a starting point for all your queries. Here are a few that pop up to get you started:

Preventing nosebleeds?

Nose bleeds?

Preventing bloody noses

have a read through those and if you still have some queries or your specific situation hasn't been dealt with then post back here with a clarification. Good luck.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 5:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My apologies, I've used the search bar for quiet a few queries here as not to resort to making a new unneeded threads... However this time it must have completely slipped my mind.

Thank you for the threads, I'll give them a good read and hope this gets sorted.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 5:30pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a job interview at a kickboxing gym where they had me spar as part of the interview. A punch gave me a bloody nose that wouldn't stop bleeding, so we called it a night after that. Didn't hear back from them.

Besides that incident, I haven't really had problems, but I spar with headgear or a fencing mask (for weapons) so even when I get hit in the face I have some amount of protection on. My personal issue is that my two front teeth were knocked out a long, long time ago and were replaced with fakes, which the X rays show are not well attached and will cost thousands of dollars to fix if/when they're damaged. It's a big concern for me, but I'm not gonna stop training for it, and if I'm gonna train in martial arts I'm gonna spar. Most of my training is stickfighting and such so my face is well protected, but when I'm training for DBMA or something, there's still a big danger there (when a roundhouse kick dented my mask into my face, my first concern was that my front teeth had been kicked in). Oddly enough, I'm less concerned about my front teeth when I'm sparring with rattan than when I'm doing punching and kicking only (which I don't do often anymore).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 5:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having read through, the general consensus is to contact the local doctor and get his opinion on it. Though my next training session is Saturday (and thus sparring... I can only afford to train once a week) so I doubt I'll be able to get an appointment with him before then. Does anything have any advice on a temporary fix that doesn't involve sticking vics vapour rub up my nose?

Think my sparring should improve if I'm no longer in fear of getting tagged on the nose and bleeding all over the gym.