Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 3:32am

Style: Grappling/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Going Rate for BJJ/JUDO/MMA training

So I just got back from FT. Bragg (MOS reclass) and I am putting things in order to start training again (its been about 1.5 years). I am doing my research trying to figure out were to start all over again. I am somewhat shocked/dismayed at some of the prices being charged for training in my area (Charlotte NC). I dont want to name school names because I don't want to appear to be talking bad about the school. There are numerous good schools and instructors in the area but the prices seem outragoues. listed below are an example

-$77 for one day a week sub-grappling
    -$99-$120 for BJJ depending on the number of BJJ classes taken
    -$60 for JUDO (this one is reasonable and may be best option)
    -$89 for BJJ or MMA or $135 for both

Is this reasonable? Maybe some school instructors can comment. Also if this is in the wrong forum, please move and my apologies.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 4:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends on how many classes are available and how many you mean to take. As a generality, a lot of BJJ/MMA schools are open 6-7 days a week with classes twice a day, where lots of Judo clubs are 2-3 times a week in a church hall. That's no good to you if twice a week is all you intend to train, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 4:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The one school that offers sub grappling only offers it two times a week and one class a week is $77. Seems most of the schools have evening classes about on average 4 days a week. Ideally I would take 2 morning classes and 2 evening classes but most of the morning classes are around 10 am (ish). I work 3rd shift so that does not work out to well. The judo is offered 4 times a week at the YMCA under a 4th degree BB. Im not oppossed to $77 a month but it seems steep for 1 day a week for less than an hour a class. As a cop I see the benifit of judo as it has throws and subs so I do lean toward that although I am not familiar with how much sub work a "normal" judo class incorperates (ignorance on my part). Plus as a cop $60 is more budget friendly. Thoughts?

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 4:41am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, do judo in that case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 7:26am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA and BJJ aren't cheap, in general. I think the cheapest I've seen an MMA program was 120 a month. But PointyShinyBurn is right, a lot of MMA places are open almost all the time, and you can really get your money's worth if you go often enough. But I doubt you have that kind of time if you're a cop, so you should probably stick with judo, if for no other reason than the money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 7:30am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before I came to Thailand a school opened close to me and charged either 5 a class or 70 a month. People were complaining about the 70 a month but in reality there were great facilities, classes running pretty much all day and good quality coaches, including 2 Muay Thai coaches, a wrestling coach, BJJ coach, boxing coach and an MMA coach.
    The thing I liked about the school was the fact you could train everyday if you wanted to because the camp is owned and run by a pro MMA fighter so he trains pretty much everyday.
    The one thing that put me off the gym was the guy who runs the place does the MMA classes and he tended to just get people to fight without focusing too much on technique, in the first 2 weeks I was there I was sparring 90% against people who had been training for a lot longer than me, it felt like every class was just turning into a brawl. One session dropped onto my front (trapped my left arm under my body and had my right arm pinned down) and the guy mounted my back, it was supposed to be sparring so I figured it would stop there but the coach was basically shouting at the guy on my back (who outweighed me by about 28lbs) to keep dropping bombs on me, well he did and I burst both my eardrums which is pretty uncomfortable and left me having a tough time at work for about 3 weeks as I could hardly hear anybody.
    When I read it back I sound like a whiney bitch, but at the same time I think if I wanted to just go and brawl with someone I could do that for free, I actually wanted to learn techniques.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 7:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger joe View Post
    Im not oppossed to $77 a month but it seems steep for 1 day a week for less than an hour a class.
    That sounds a lot like bullshit. What kind of class runs for less than an hour, for starters? Is it some kind of add-in at a TKD school or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger joe View Post
    As a cop I see the benifit of judo as it has throws and subs so I do lean toward that although I am not familiar with how much sub work a "normal" judo class incorperates (ignorance on my part).
    It varies a lot from club to club. Some very old school ones will be close to 50/50, most will focus on standing work.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 7:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    any good Judo class will have plenty of quality submissions.
    Arm Bars, Chokes, & Pins Galore!!!
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 10:29am

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly that sounds somewhat expensive. The Chapel Hill/Triangle area, I charge $80 a month for unlmited classes. I am on the cheap side, but most competitions don't really breach $100.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 11:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THe problem is a lot of these schools don't offer classes 7 days a week or early morning class. As a whole MOST offer a 9 or 10 AM class. Which does not work for me since I get off at 6am and often work off duty in the afternoon prior to work at least once or twice a week (got to sleep some time prior to night shift). THe one class that is $77 a week is a legit school but for basically $80 a month for one 45 minute class.......Thats off the wall in my opinion. My only thought is that there association fees must be crazy high (who they associate with). Plus the instructor is not a BB. On another note the Judo school is called Belmont Kodokan Judo Club. I will be checking the club out to see how much subs are involved in this particular school. Heard good things about the school in general.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast