Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 11:59am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I need some harsh criticism

I love martial arts. Seriously. Its something to do, it keeps me in shape, and provides a foundation if i ever need to defend myself. But. I have limitations, alot of them. This, of course, needs no explanation, even the best of ifighters have expectations. Trial and Error; thats how one grows.

However, having met many dedicated practitioners, i know just how sub par my game is. What do i think I need? Well one, I need to diversify from the horrible grappling I've learned from Hapkido, as well as improve upon the effectiveness of my techniques, espescially with TKD.

I major in fine arts, and omething you learn quick is that criticism is important for the progression of one's style.

First and formost, my striking. From experiance training with Brad Souders as well as fighting against a few other full contact pratitioners, my striking lacks effectivess. Not power, but in a way, distancing and the way in which I provide that power. I know the physics, but the question is what method? I do almost an hour and a half of bag work now, but I'm starting to think its limiting my snap, as well as my combinations. I almost seem to used to pushing, rather then snapping. I think I need more opponants and sparring (oviously) as well as more focus with providing the correct power generation.

Also, I've been trying to get better at grappling, which most of you know I'm new to. Budd has already told me how I need to relax, as has John Butz, what I need is to find time and money to regularly train somewhere in which i can continually test myself.

Those are a few of MY assesments. Those of you who have seen my preformance, I would honastly like a brutal opinion of how I fight. Mutt, Brad, John, you've all seen me roll and spar in stand up. I would honastly like to know your thoughts, thoroughly, on my problems. Alot has to do with inexperiance, I know that much. If there is anything else though, I would be happy to hear it.
    Last edited by Shug; 4/16/2004 12:14pm at .

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 12:04pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try cutting down on bag work time, and upping intensity.
    Go really hard for 15 minutes instead of that long a period.

And obviously get the better strikes to show you how they strike.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 12:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bag work is a problem if you are practicing poor technique. I'd step back off the bag work and spend the time with someone who can teach good technique. And keep sparring...sparring with competent fighters is highly educational.

I admire your honesty. Most guys walk around thinking they are bad asses because they took a few classes and can beat the hell out of a bag.
    Last edited by punchingdummy; 4/16/2004 12:27pm at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 1:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Various JMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ain't good enough to be able to tell you what you need to do Shug. But you are doing the important thing- diversifying your training, learning your weaknesses and trying to fix them.

I say keep at that(hell, it's what I am doing too) and keep an open and fesh mind.

Oh, and relax!!!! It is hard to do, but if you keep doing the grappling work, you will figure it out. I learned more about relaxation in 6 months of grappling then 6 years of aikido(and man has it helped my aikido). Drill with guys who are bigger then you, because you can only move them with correct technique, which requires relaxation. You'll get it eventually. I recomend having soemone, say Budd, beat on you for a few months...it's done wonders for me.

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 1:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say that fact that you're asking these questions indicates that you're on the right track. As I said in my NEPA Throwdown report, you aren't afraid to get beat and want to learn. Keep that attitude and keep training with guys like Brad and his crew, us and the Mutt & Co. In another six months to a year, take another look at what you've achieved and maybe re-evaluate where you want to go from there.

Specifics: From what I saw of your striking, you need to get more sparring time in with some decent contact, then work from there to figure out how to best use your weapons efficiently with regards to distance, timing and power. This will also help your bag work, as well as inform which areas (weights, cardio) you need to improve overall.

Your grappling is just going to take some time to develop. To be honest, you're going to have to essentially learn another language (in terms of physical expression). Right now, you're getting used to and being exposed to the alphabet. After a while, you'll be able to spell, say and write individual words. Then you'll have conversations and be able to read what other people write. The goal is to be able to read, write and speak fluently. Good training and time should take care of that.

Keep training with Brad. Come visit us on the odd Wednesday (just let JB know beforehand). Keep going to throwdowns. The rest will sort itself out.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 1:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, if you come visit us, you can match yourself against my mostly unskilled self...less of an ability gap.

:)

'sides, then I might actually get to tap soembody as opposed to my normal night.

Clinch with Budd...get thrown...desperately attempt to gain position...end up with Budd in side mount...tap like a bitch...

Lather, rinse, repeat...

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 1:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    John,

That's so not true . . .

I've tapped you from guard and mount as well. Oh, and Mark taps you, too, not just me.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 2:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's so true...I am just a tapping fool...

:)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 3:20pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2004 11:50am

Style: Thai Boxing