Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 11:14am

Style: Xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, there are a lot of fat sifu out there, especially in guys working in the internal arts. I dont think someone's bf% should ever be taken as an absolute indicator of fighting ability but i think general shape is.. Either way, no matter what martial art you're doing, there should be some conditioning portion to it. Strength and cardio.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by g3ost View Post
    From what I know martial artist usually are in good shape and must be in good shape (correct me if am wrong), but I see pics of most kung fu instructors (at least the ones I have seen so far) and they look like they have never done any form of physical exercise in their life (and I am not talking about some 60-70 years old master, of course I don't expect someone that old to be in top shape) but at least a 40 years old guy can still have a six pack or something (judging from my old bjj coach). Please enlighten me about that "habit".

That is the main reason why I never tried kung fu (not wing chun, older styles) and I really feel that I should given the right opportunity.
    If you want somebody to make you pretty, then take up bodybuilding.

Fedor doesn't have a sixpack either. Nor does Butterbean. Nor did Tank Abbot. All of them could probably destroy anybody you've ever met.

If you're avoiding kung fu schools because you don't see any evidence of them sparring hard and producing succesful competitors, then fine. But waiting until you find a sifu with pretty abs is fucking stupid. Just depressingly fucking stupid.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 5:21pm

Style: Still looking for one :)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    If you want somebody to make you pretty, then take up bodybuilding.

Fedor doesn't have a sixpack either. Nor does Butterbean. Nor did Tank Abbot. All of them could probably destroy anybody you've ever met.

If you're avoiding kung fu schools because you don't see any evidence of them sparring hard and producing succesful competitors, then fine. But waiting until you find a sifu with pretty abs is fucking stupid. Just depressingly fucking stupid.
    No I am not avoiding kung fu schools because I don't find a sifu with pretty abs, the reason is that I till now the ones I have met couldn't even punch above their waist (yes punch) and they were only around 40-50 years oldt. And yes hard sparring is a big reason since I only found wing chun schools here in Limassol and I get that thing that wing chun can't be used in sparring since it is so dangerous.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I am not avoiding kung fu schools because I don't find a sifu with pretty abs, the reason is that I till now the ones I have met couldn't even punch above their waist (yes punch) and they were only around 40-50 years oldt.
    Can't punch above their waist? So, you mean to say that the only kung fu sifus you ever met could not punch at all? I mean, could they not even lift their arms?

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 11:25am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Can't punch above their waist? So, you mean to say that the only kung fu sifus you ever met could not punch at all? I mean, could they not even lift their arms?
    Or did they specialize exclusively in groin-punching? G3ost, you might want to rethink your hyperbole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 12:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys it just a hyperbole, relax :P

But honestly they were not good... at all... I am into martial arts for about 10 years now, I can tell between a good and a bad instructor and I created this thread to see if my experience with kung fu teachers actually applies in the rest of the world cause I will be moving to UK soon.
    Last edited by g3ost; 5/14/2012 12:39pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am into martial arts for about 10 years now, I can tell between a good and a bad instructor
    *looks at style field*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    *looks at style field*
    Oh, sorry about that mate, 4 years of boxing, 1,5 year of bjj 1,5 year of Shotokan Karate and about 5 years of different martial arts (Taekwondo, Judo, Muay Thai, Wing Chun), but since I didn't stay in a martial art for a long time (and currently not doing anything cause of a knee injury) I say that i am still looking for one. :)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123