Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 5:23am

Style: Still looking for one :)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to live in Athens, a big city so I don't know about all the instructors there, but, the ones that were close to my place (and when you are young and don't have a car your neighbourhood is what you know of) were like the ones I pre-mentioned, then I moved to Cyprus to study, new country I thought, lots of foreign guys here, I will surely find someone that can teach me kung fu, but then after four years and after searching all the schools in Limassol, it's the same thing, so yes I thought it was a general rule, if it's not I am really happy cause I will be moving to Portsmouth UK soon and I hope I will find a good school there.

About the strength and conditioning, yeah it's ok for my teacher to tell me what to do at home, but I think, as I said before, a warm up is necessary :)

THOSE threads?

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 5:53am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    This guy looks in decent shape

http://www.wujikungfu.com/who-we-are.html
    As with anything else, this is the difference between someone who lives it, and someone who does it as a hobby or part-time. I have seen fat, out-of-shape karate instructors. Rarely, even a judo practitioner gets to be round(see video).

When teaching kung fu was my job, I did it six days a week, and that kept me in shape. When it became my side job, and I only trained one or two days a week, I had to find something else to stay in shape.
    When I got into my current line of work, I felt as though I owed it to myself, and my family to stay in the best shape I could. I trained three days a week; I stretched before shift and when I took my breaks, just to be ready if I got into a foot chase. Fifteen years later, not so much.
    It ultimately comes down to the individual.
    Last edited by slamdunc; 4/19/2012 6:10am at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 6:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    As with anything else, this is the difference between someone who lives it, and someone who does it as a hobby or part-time. I have seen fat, out-of-shape karate instructors. Rarely, even a judo practitioner gets to be round(see video).

When teaching kung fu was my job, I did it six days a week, and that kept me in shape. When it became my side job, and I only trained one or two days a week, I had to find something else to stay in shape.
    When I got into my current line of work, I felt as though I owed it to myself, and my family to stay in the best shape I could. I trained three days a week; I stretched before shift and when I took my breaks, just to be ready if I got into a foot chase. Fifteen years later, not so much.
    It ultimately comes down to the individual.
    Judo instructors rarely get round? You need to stick with your area of experience. Hell, even some legit high level judo competitors are "round".

For example:
    Here are a couple of svelte very famous judoka.

Here's another one.

And another one.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 7:47am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    i dont go to class to go pushups, i go to learn how to fight. why the **** would you want to do strength training at class? hes dead right you should be doing it in your own time.

also, i cant think of many guys who have a 6 pack at 40. you sound like a bit of a mong.
    On the same token! If a guy cant do a push up, he might not be the guy you would want to teach you how to fight lol. And Mong.......Dont listen to Alex I'm 41 and I still have a six pack at least once a week!

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 11:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Judo instructors rarely get round? You need to stick with your area of experience. Hell, even some legit high level judo competitors are "round".

For example:
    Here are a couple of svelte very famous judoka.

Here's another one.

And another one.
    Hey Ben y u no go for the kill?

since this isn't YMAS edit for on topic

Listen TS You don't have to be in shape to have been in shape. Most instructors are probably older than most competitors. It's the competitors that absolutely need to be in shape. You should probably worry more about whether they can teach well and if what they're teaching is any good.

there's a visible difference between someone who used to be in shape but let themself go and someone who was never in shape.
    Last edited by Lindz; 4/19/2012 11:54am at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodedmonk View Post
    On the same token! If a guy cant do a push up, he might not be the guy you would want to teach you how to fight lol. And Mong.......Dont listen to Alex I'm 41 and I still have a six pack at least once a week!
    Cus D'amato wasn't exactly a prime physical specimen when he was training monsters like Tyson. it depends entirely on how you teach.

anyway, why would you want a 6 pack when you can have a whole keg

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 9:17pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    You don't have to be in shape to have been in shape. Most instructors are probably older than most competitors. It's the competitors that absolutely need to be in shape. You should probably worry more about whether they can teach well and if what they're teaching is any good.

there's a visible difference between someone who used to be in shape but let themself go and someone who was never in shape.
    This is true, but sometimes it is hard to tell the difference, unless you knew them back then, or they have videos and photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Just goes to show, the potential is there for anyone to get round. What level of experience is required to ascertain that someone is overweight?
    Some of the kung fu guys who got round were legitimate too. "Rarely" was my choice of wording and me being a bit sarcastic. If the round judo guys are effective, that is great, whatever works for them. I strive to stay in (relatively good) shape; that is my personal choice. I don't move quite as well as I did in 1980, but I'm almost fifty now.

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 7:28am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cus D'amato wasn't exactly a prime physical specimen when he was training monsters like Tyson. it depends entirely on how you teach.

anyway, why would you want a 6 pack when you can have a whole keg
    I cant argue either pointl.

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 1:30pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i dont go to class to go pushups, i go to learn how to fight. why the **** would you want to do strength training at class? hes dead right you should be doing it in your own time.
    I'm with Alex on this. We used to do a ferocious warm-up when my instructor ran the usual 3 hour class. Part of his reasoning was that we had to fit enough to survive the Grading even if we were dog-tired and technique starts to fail owing to tiredness. Anyway, you get the idea. We were always able to drench our Gis in sweat.

OTOH, his instructor never did a warm-up, he expected them to get fit in their own time and to have warmed-up before he started the class and went straight into teaching.

I have moved away from hard warm-ups but this is for want of time. I tell them that they will only reduce their Trad JJ training time if I run a warm-up. I also remind them that I use my lunch hour to run St James' and Green Parks. They should consider the same :-)
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 4/20/2012 1:32pm at . Reason: typo

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    4/21/2012 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20594090

Am J Health Promot. 2010 Jul-Aug;24(6):e1-e25.

A comprehensive review of health benefits of qigong and tai chi.

Jahnke R, Larkey L, Rogers C, Etnier J, Lin F.
    Source

Arizona State University College of Nursing and Healthcare Innovation, 500 N 3rd Street, Phoenix, AZ 85004, USA.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Research examining psychological and physiological benefits of Qigong and Tai Chi is growing rapidly. The many practices described as Qigong or Tai Chi have similar theoretical roots, proposed mechanisms of action, and expected benefits. Research trials and reviews, however, treat them as separate targets of examination. This review examines the evidence for achieving outcomes from randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of both.

DATA SOURCES:

The key words Tai Chi, Taiji, Tai Chi Chuan, and Qigong were entered into electronic search engines for the Cumulative Index for Allied Health and Nursing (CINAHL), psychological literature (PsycINFO), PubMed, Cochrane database, and Google Scholar. STUDY INCLUSION CRITERIA: RCTs reporting on the results of Qigong or Tai Chi interventions and published in peer-reviewed journals from 1993 to 2007.

DATA EXTRACTION:

Country, type and duration of activity, number/type of subjects, control conditions, and reported outcomes were recorded for each study.

SYNTHESIS:

Outcomes related to Qigong and Tai Chi practice were identified and evaluated.

RESULTS:

Seventy-seven articles met the inclusion criteria. The nine outcome category groupings that emerged were bone density (n = 4), cardiopulmonary effects (n = 19), physical function (n = 16), falls and related risk factors (n = 23), quality of life (n = 17), self-efficacy (n = 8), patient-reported outcomes (n = 13), psychological symptoms (n = 27), and immune function (n = 6).

CONCLUSIONS:

Research has demonstrated consistent, significant results for a number of health benefits in RCTs, evidencing progress toward recognizing the similarity and equivalence of Qigong and Tai Chi.

PMID:20594090 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    PMCID:PMC308583
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast