Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 1:23pm

Style: Still looking for one :)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kung Fu and shape :)

From what I know martial artist usually are in good shape and must be in good shape (correct me if am wrong), but I see pics of most kung fu instructors (at least the ones I have seen so far) and they look like they have never done any form of physical exercise in their life (and I am not talking about some 60-70 years old master, of course I don't expect someone that old to be in top shape) but at least a 40 years old guy can still have a six pack or something (judging from my old bjj coach). Please enlighten me about that "habit".

That is the main reason why I never tried kung fu (not wing chun, older styles) and I really feel that I should given the right opportunity.

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 1:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of them are out of shape, it's true. Some are in excellent shape—both my teachers feel like they're made out of rebar with skin tightly stretched over it. (One of them is in his mid-60s and remains in excellent condition.)

On rare occasions, physique can be deceptive. A bit of a belly doesn't necessarily mean all the much, especially if one is primarily a coach rather than a competitive fighter. Not having to meet weight requirements means less of a focus on dumping weight and fat, but one can still be in sufficient shape to scrap and drill and whatnot. I don't know if a six-pack is a necessary condition to be a good teacher of gongfu, but in-shape teachers aren't that hard to find.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 1:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to disagree and say it isn't a lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 2:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh please believe me, they are really hard to find, in Cyprus there are even guys that don't do basic warm up exercise during their courses and tell you that if you want to do physical training do it at home on your own (another thing that I don't understand, since I think that you need a sifu, trainer, sensei or whatever to tell you which exercises to do and to observe to see if you do them the right way).

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 2:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy looks in decent shape

http://www.wujikungfu.com/who-we-are.html

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 3:00pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard that the Chinese image of health is different from the Western one (typified by the Greek god inverted pyramid physique), and that a round belly is part of that preferred Chinese aesthetic, and that a distended belly can be an indicator that a person has good qigong (relaxed musculature and/or some kind of dantien chi thing). I can't cite a source or anything so its just some anecdotal stuff I've heard. Also, its possible that some fat sifu may have just said that as an excuse and other fat guys nodded their heads.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by g3ost View Post
    Oh please believe me, they are really hard to find, in Cyprus there are even guys that don't do basic warm up exercise during their courses and tell you that if you want to do physical training do it at home on your own (another thing that I don't understand, since I think that you need a sifu, trainer, sensei or whatever to tell you which exercises to do and to observe to see if you do them the right way).
    i dont go to class to go pushups, i go to learn how to fight. why the **** would you want to do strength training at class? hes dead right you should be doing it in your own time.

also, i cant think of many guys who have a 6 pack at 40. you sound like a bit of a mong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 3:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    i dont go to class to go pushups, i go to learn how to fight. why the **** would you want to do strength training at class? hes dead right you should be doing it in your own time.

also, i cant think of many guys who have a 6 pack at 40. you sound like a bit of a mong.
    The same reason a mma trainer gets you to do conditioning and strength training and helps you so that you wont get hurt or something, I want to learn the art and I am not talking about 60 or 70 % of the class to be strength and conditioning but a actual warm up would be good in the case of the instructors I know. What is a mong by the way ? :)

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 4:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chen Yu's a well-stuffed pork dumpling, but he sure can move:

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 5:16pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, in this one area, that represents the entire world, there are a bunch of fat kung fuers. Hmm, okay.

Please read Alex's post.
    The same reason a mma trainer gets you to do conditioning and strength training and helps you so that you wont get hurt or something, I want to learn the art and I am not talking about 60 or 70 % of the class to be strength and conditioning but a actual warm up would be good in the case of the instructors I know. What is a mong by the way ? :)
    This is not true of al MMA trainers maybe yours. I am starting to see this is one of THOSE threads.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast