Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 1:46am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll cheer for the underdog too, WAR RASHAD!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 7:00am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I attribute any suspected advantages being given to Rashad as hype. He's in Jon Jones' head, but Jon said in an interview that he prefers it that way when he fights. Not to mention: Rampage was also in his head before they fought.

Marketing a fight against Jones has to be tough. Who is a credible threat? Mind you, I think I'd have given Rashad the benefit of the doubt a year ago, but all this talk of mental advantages and "having his number" seems like focusing on a leaf to discuss the healthiness of a tree when the rest of the forest around it is on fire. Whatever Rashad managed to do in practice (his words amounting to "held Jones down") and whatever mental advantage that might have afforded him, that was before Jon Jones put on arguably the best year in MMA history and defeated 3 champions/former champions.

Having his number, knowing how to fight Jones--it sounds like a good advantage. But the fact is that they didn't train together long. The mentor angle sounds made-for-TV. Rashad left what is arguably the best game-planning camp in MMA to go do his own thing, and Greg Jackson knows Rashad's game better than Rashad knows Jones. Rashad is an easier fighter to emulate for training purposes than Jones. Growth-wise, the two fighters hardly compare: Jon Jones comes out looking more polished each and every fight.

I wish I felt that this fight would be more competitive. I'm excited because I like watching Jones fight, but every time I hear about how Rashad is a really credible threat it sounds like the marketing machine in action. And I feel like every fight for Jones is going to be like this until he moves to heavyweight or until some even more amazing prospect shows up to play rival.

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 7:21am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to mention: Rampage was also in his head before they fought.
    He really wasn't, though. At least, not nearly as much as Rashad is. Everyone knew Rampage was just trying to sell the fight. And while I agree that there's certainly a decent bit of marketing going on here, I think Rashad and Jones legitimately just don't like each other.

As for the rest, I want Rashad to win, but I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that Jones probably won't lose for a while. I don't see any of the old guard taking the belt from him, it's going to have to be a guy like Davis or Gustafsson, after they get some more experience. Mostly I'm hoping it's Gustafsson, just because I want to see what happens when Jones has to deal with a striker just as tall as he is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 10:48am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    Yes JNP alot of people, analysts, fans whatever you want to call them have that same thought process, That because of their training time together that Rashad may have Jons number, that because Rashad mentored Jones he knows the game plan, because he trained @ Jasksons that he knows what Jackson and Winkljohns going to tell Jones to do. I though Rashad was getting the better of the mental game until the UFC interview with Anik and the recent "the UFC doesnt want me to have the title." statement, Im starting to believe he's bringing TOO much emotion into the fight and it may gas him like it did ALA Miller. He did not look all that impressive against Phil Davis and seemed to struggle with his cardio late in the fight.
    Well, this certainly isn't going to help: http://www.mmamania.com/2012/4/19/29...-145#storyjump

Long story short: Cagepotato ran a "satirical" caption on a photo quoting Dana White as saying that he had placed a $500k bet on Jones. Rashad's camp told him and apparently he threw a fit. A really shitty thing of Cagepotato to do, let alone during fight week.

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 4:10pm

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am REALLY looking forward to this one. The main event has all the ingredients to be a classic.

I predicted Evans would be the one to beat Jones a while back and nothing has happened to change my mind.

Light Heavyweight: Jon Jones (c) vs. Rashad Evans
    Welterweight: Rory MacDonald vs. England Che Mills
    Heavyweight: Brendan Schaub vs. Ben Rothwell
    Bantamweight: Miguel Torres vs. Michael McDonald
    Featherweight: Mark Hominick vs. Eddie Yagin
    Lightweight: Mark Bocek vs. John Alessio

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 5:35pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    Well, this certainly isn't going to help: http://www.mmamania.com/2012/4/19/29...-145#storyjump

Long story short: Cagepotato ran a "satirical" caption on a photo quoting Dana White as saying that he had placed a $500k bet on Jones. Rashad's camp told him and apparently he threw a fit. A really shitty thing of Cagepotato to do, let alone during fight week.
    OUCH lol

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 7:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Rashad blames an article on Cage Potato for throwing off his mental focus he doesn't deserve to hold the belt. Heaven help him if he starts getting Tim Sylvia or Leites-Cote-Maia Anderson levels of online hate, the poor little fellow might slit his wrists.

Interestering repercussions abound: DFW had to have a 30 minute conference call with Rashad and his management to calm them down, and the UFC is filing suit against Cage Potato. The Internet is Serious Business.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 7:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People think Schaub can beat Ben "The North Star" Rothwell?
    Has Brendan done something since being knocked out by Nogueira and Nelson I should know about?

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 2:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    People think Schaub can beat Ben "The North Star" Rothwell?
    Has Brendan done something since being knocked out by Nogueira and Nelson I should know about?
    Rothwell looked TERRIBLE in his last fight. At 2 losses and 1 win in the UFC he needs a win or may well face getting cut.

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 3:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saying that though, just watched the weigh ins and Rothwell looks ALOT leaner than in his last few fights.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast