Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 8:16am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are we getting a bullbook on this? Or, is it a foregone conclusion that Bones will win.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 9:07am

Style: Boxing, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    Honestly, I don't see how Evans has any greater chance than any given fighter does on any given night. He's arguably at the head of a pack that is still staring at Jones' back from a distance. Jon Jones has left the rest of the division behind.

They used to train together, like 18ish months ago. It wasn't for very long, and then Rashad moved his camp to a different location for whatever reason. So whatever the circumstances surrounding Rashad's oft-told story, One Time at Jackson's Camp, that was against pre-Ryan Bader Jon Jones. We've seen how much Bones has progressed since then.

Rashad did well against Tito (but that's Tito) and his win over Phil Davis was both impressive and not impressive enough; which is to say that I don't see someone taking Jones to a decision and winning three rounds, and Rashad didn't show enough killer instinct to actually finish Davis despite having him in multiple (2 or 3?) crucifixes and despite not facing any significant threat from Phil's standup.

Rashad is a great fighter in a division that has a sublime champion and--while he might very well surprise me--I can't see much of a scenario where he manages to win the belt.
    QFT.

Jones does too many things well to lose to Evans who relies on hand speed and takedowns, but of which may be hindered by Jones' size advantage. Also, Machida gave Jones problems for a round and now that I've seen that Jones can adjust to the strangest style he's likely to see, I'm even more sure that Evans can't throw anything at him that he can't deal with.

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 11:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Some Okinawan BS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just saw a picture on facebook of Jones sporting a Jeet Kune Do shirt.

I am now feeling the upset.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Getting fat.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddykata View Post
    Are we getting a bullbook on this? Or, is it a foregone conclusion that Bones will win.
    Bets are up (as planned).

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

On hiatus

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Getting fat.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, this guy again:

His vs Machida video is still my favorite thou.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 11:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone is talking about how Rashad's edge against Jones may be in the "mental game", but I wonder....in the interviews I've read, he seems pretty ticked off heading into this fight, calling Jon Jones "Judas", Greg Jackson "a backstabber", and saying that he feels like the UFC itself is trying to keep him from being champ.

Look at Donald Cerrone vs Nate Diaz or Marcus Davis vs Dan Hardy for examples of what can happen if you go into a fight without your head on straight. Is Rashad traveling down the same path?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 11:09pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    Everyone is talking about how Rashad's edge against Jones may be in the "mental game", but I wonder....in the interviews I've read, he seems pretty ticked off heading into this fight, calling Jon Jones "Judas", Greg Jackson "a backstabber", and saying that he feels like the UFC itself is trying to keep him from being champ.

Look at Donald Cerrone vs Nate Diaz or Marcus Davis vs Dan Hardy for examples of what can happen if you go into a fight without your head on straight. Is Rashad traveling down the same path?
    When you say everyone, do you mean me, or have other people been saying the same thing? In other words, did someone that matters say the same thing I said?

By your description of Evans, he sounds like he suffers from a persecution complex. Giving you the benefit of the doubt for the moment, unless there's a whole lot of anger wrapped up in that perception, it doesn't seem like a winning mental strategy.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 11:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I say "everyone", I mean myself and the four guys at my BJJ school who like to discuss this sort of thing, we agreed that Rashad either has an ace up his sleeve or is putting up one of the best fronts given how he keeps saying he'll break Jones's will, it's time for big brother to put a hurting on little brother, etc.

About the only edges we could give him were a "used to beat him up sparring", a la Chuck and Tito, and the fact that we've never seen Jones get in trouble and have to push through it, where Rashad has the experience of taking a whipping and coming back strong (example his title shot vs Forrest Griffin).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2012 11:46pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    When you say everyone, do you mean me, or have other people been saying the same thing? In other words, did someone that matters say the same thing I said?

By your description of Evans, he sounds like he suffers from a persecution complex. Giving you the benefit of the doubt for the moment, unless there's a whole lot of anger wrapped up in that perception, it doesn't seem like a winning mental strategy.

Yes JNP alot of people, analysts, fans whatever you want to call them have that same thought process, That because of their training time together that Rashad may have Jons number, that because Rashad mentored Jones he knows the game plan, because he trained @ Jasksons that he knows what Jackson and Winkljohns going to tell Jones to do. I though Rashad was getting the better of the mental game until the UFC interview with Anik and the recent "the UFC doesnt want me to have the title." statement, Im starting to believe he's bringing TOO much emotion into the fight and it may gas him like it did ALA Miller. He did not look all that impressive against Phil Davis and seemed to struggle with his cardio late in the fight.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 12:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the better cards of the year, at least on paper,
    but I think a rather slow card as well given that many fighters there have reasons to play their games safe.

Jon Jones (c) vs. Rashad Evans
    Brendan Schaub vs. Ben Rothwell
    Miguel Torres vs. Michael McDonald
    Mark Hominick vs. Eddie Yagin
    Travis Browne vs. Chad Griggs
    John Makdessi vs. Anthony Njokuani
    Marcus Brimage vs. Maximo Blanco

Why Rashad over Jones? Precisely because everybody is betting against him.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast