Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 8:26am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mike Tyson to fight in K-1

http://www.k-1usa.net/docs/news/news.asp?news_id=40416

[April 16, 2004] Two-time champion’s first fight in over one year to be promoted by Fight Entertainment Group!

Former undisputed heavyweight boxing champion, “Iron” Mike Tyson (50-4 (44 KO’s), has signed a contract to participate in his next boxing bout. Slated for July, the fight will mark both Tyson’s first ring appearance in over a year as well as his first fight promoted by Fight Entertainment Group (FEG), a subsidiary company of K-1, the world’s premiere martial arts fighting sport.

Tyson’s opponent for the July bout, as well as an exact date for the fight, is expected to be announced shortly. Las Vegas, New York, and Los Angeles have been mentioned as the three possible sites for the event. Terms of the agreement were not announced.

"Mike is excited that he will be boxing again this summer," said Tyson's representatives. "Mike is already back in the gym preparing for the fight, and he's dedicating himself to delivering a great performance in July. We're confident that FEG will put on an amazing show."

During his last contest on February 22, 2003, Tyson toppled Clifford “The Black Rhino” Etienne just 49 seconds into the first round of their meeting in Memphis, Tennessee’s Pyramid Arena.

For some time, K-1 had sought to make Tyson a part of its promotion that is well-known for its Superbowl-like production. Last summer, Tyson signed an agreement which designated K-1 as his exclusive representative in Japan and granted K-1 certain promotional rights with respect to any Tyson boxing matches held in Japan. Less than a year later, K-1 agreed to serve as Tyson's boxing promoter for a boxing match to be held in the U.S.

K-1 is a martial arts fighting sport that derives its name from its inclusion of a wide array of combat disciplines, including Karate, Kung-Fu, and Kickboxing (“K”), and its intent to determine one champion in one ring (“1”). After being staged for the first time in Japan in 1993 under the direction of founder Master Kazuyoshi Ishii, it later evolved into the country’s most popular sport and achieved popular culture status there as its athletes turned into larger-than-life celebrities. Last year, K-1 USA, the North American subsidiary of K-1, inked a partnership with ESPN to jointly market Pay-Per-View televised K-1 fight cards.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 9:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So does this means that he will fight under K-1 rules? Sounds like they're talking about boxing matches.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 9:27am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BORING! I wanna see him fight Sapp in K-1 rules! This is just a boxing match.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 9:59am

supporting member
     Style: Punch & Kick

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tyson could use a little ring time.

But yeah. Tyson vs. Sapp is definitely a huge match-up. Although, I do really want to see him fight a good kicker. TvS would be mostly a boxing match anyhow. I don't see Sapp throwing a lot of kicks.
    Punches in bunches and kicks kicks kicks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 10:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it may work up to K-1 rules. He's fighting in K-1 with boxing rules, maybe the next step will be kickboxing. Kakuto said there was some talk of him fighting Musashi (which would probably mean K-1 rules), but it may just be a rumor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 6:02pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by WhiteShark
    BORING! I wanna see him fight Sapp in K-1 rules! This is just a boxing match.
    Omg I drool when I think about Tyson vs Sapp... mmmm....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 6:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tyson vs Sapp would be a short match (Tyson win of course).
    I would like to see him against Bonjaski or Hoost or some other good fighter. That might end up to be a good match. Although I thought the Abidi vs Botha match (2nd time) looked pretty lame...

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 6:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I don't see the point of watching unless it's Tyson Vs. a good kickboxer, with Regular K-1 rules. Anything else seems boring.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

WHO'S THE MASTER

Posted On:
    4/17/2004 7:42pm

supporting member
     Style: SHO'NUFF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to see tyson vs maurice smith.
    JOHN DOE
    Hmmm. I'll kill him. I'll kill him dead. Like with, with a, rock or something. Like a, like a stone.
    evil master betty

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2004 1:04am

Style: Okanawan Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** tyson his a bitch i wanna see him get fucked up in mma!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast