226214 Bullies, 3632 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 40
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,566

    Posted On:
    4/16/2012 6:35pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    While I agree with the statement that a bullwhip will totally, totally **** up a human eyeball, so will pretty much every other weapon ever invented.
    It's not a very strong argument.
    To play the devil's advocate: few other concealable weapons could accomplish said eyeball fucking from ten feet away without throwing them.
  2. TheMightyMcClaw is offline
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar

    MADE OF STEEL!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,439

    Posted On:
    4/16/2012 9:04pm

    supporting member
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    To play the devil's advocate: few other concealable weapons could accomplish said eyeball fucking from ten feet away without throwing them.
    Which *is* neat, but it seems like "ultimate flexible weapon" still better describes a chain whip or rope dart or one of those flying claws from Enter the Fist.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
  3. csharp.negative is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    252

    Posted On:
    4/16/2012 9:40pm


     Style: 1 technique 1000 times

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Which *is* neat, but it seems like "ultimate flexible weapon" still better describes a chain whip or rope dart or one of those flying claws from Enter the Fist.
    Which makes me think of Jet Li's Fearless, when the Samurai and Huo Yuanjia swap weapons mid-fight and the Samurai nearly kills himself trying to swing the 3 section staff. Flexible weapons are the hardest to wield because, well, they're flexible, so they have a mind of their own.
  4. Auszi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    432

    Posted On:
    4/17/2012 1:34am


     Style: BJJ Beginner

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp.negative View Post
    My point was geared towards Auszi, who said that he didn't believe the whip to have "stopping power," and when I said that a whip would stop anyone cold if they got hit in the eye with it, he retorted that my "style field was incorrect." Yeah, every weapon could do something horrible to an eyeball, but I wanted to point out the difference between an eye gouge and a whip.
    Your comment had a whif of the chun. I am sure that if you got hit in the eyeball with a whip, it would be a pretty terrible day, but if I was charging in on a guy that was using just a whip, what would I be protecting?

    I did find the info about using it compliment with a dagger to be interesting.
  5. csharp.negative is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    252

    Posted On:
    4/17/2012 11:08am


     Style: 1 technique 1000 times

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guarding your head is first priority, of course. But my point stands that the whip does have stopping power, especially when it meets especially delicate areas such as the eye. The crack of the whip would probably be pretty painful if it happened close enough to your ear, though I'm not sure it would completely stop a person, it'd definitely stun them.

    I'll just wield a chair with my whip. Keep 'em at a safe distance. Then I can be a circus man!
  6. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,566

    Posted On:
    4/17/2012 12:33pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    Your comment had a whif of the chun. I am sure that if you got hit in the eyeball with a whip, it would be a pretty terrible day, but if I was charging in on a guy that was using just a whip, what would I be protecting?

    I did find the info about using it compliment with a dagger to be interesting.
    Your eyes? If someone's shielding their eyes you can do a level change while whipping and hit underneath, to the groin, for example. Or, if they're using the latigo y daga style, stabbing a guy who's charging and covering his eyes should be quite easy.
  7. Zod is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    182

    Posted On:
    4/17/2012 4:19pm


     Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Your eyes? If someone's shielding their eyes you can do a level change while whipping and hit underneath, to the groin, for example. Or, if they're using the latigo y daga style, stabbing a guy who's charging and covering his eyes should be quite easy.
    Well, a man armed with a knife and a whip is certainly going to be more dangerous than an unarmed man and probably more dangerous than a man with just a knife. On the other hand, the same could be said for a man with a ROCK and a knife - and I think the rock plus knife combo could work pretty well against Captain Castlevania. I'm sure bull whips were handy in fights from time to time but probably mostly to people who used them for other tasks already and for whom they were already expedient. Going out of your way to train with them because they're super effective seems silly.
  8. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,566

    Posted On:
    4/17/2012 4:27pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    Well, a man armed with a knife and a whip is certainly going to be more dangerous than an unarmed man and probably more dangerous than a man with just a knife. On the other hand, the same could be said for a man with a ROCK and a knife - and I think the rock plus knife combo could work pretty well against Captain Castlevania.
    That ricochet rock was such a lame weapon in Castlevania!

    I'm sure bull whips were handy in fights from time to time but probably mostly to people who used them for other tasks already and for whom they were already expedient. Going out of your way to train with them because they're super effective seems silly.
    Yeah. I train it sometimes because it's uncommon, a skill that can be very highly developed (not necessarily as a fighting art but as a focus/precision/timing tool) so it's not easy to get bored with, and some chicks dig it.
  9. donoraen is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    488

    Posted On:
    4/17/2012 9:15pm


     Style: Limalama

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was told once by a guro that whips for fighting often had razorblades or fish hooks attached to them. While it may not be the most dangerous or the ultimate flexable weapon, a fish hook to the groin going supersonic speeds would make me upset to say the least.
  10. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,566

    Posted On:
    4/17/2012 11:03pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    I was told once by a guro that whips for fighting often had razorblades or fish hooks attached to them. While it may not be the most dangerous or the ultimate flexable weapon, a fish hook to the groin going supersonic speeds would make me upset to say the least.
    I've also heard of tying a tiny blade to the popper. From the Sayocs, I think.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.