pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/16/2012 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    While I agree with the statement that a bullwhip will totally, totally **** up a human eyeball, so will pretty much every other weapon ever invented.
    It's not a very strong argument.
    To play the devil's advocate: few other concealable weapons could accomplish said eyeball fucking from ten feet away without throwing them.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/16/2012 9:04pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    To play the devil's advocate: few other concealable weapons could accomplish said eyeball fucking from ten feet away without throwing them.
    Which *is* neat, but it seems like "ultimate flexible weapon" still better describes a chain whip or rope dart or one of those flying claws from Enter the Fist.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2012 9:40pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Which *is* neat, but it seems like "ultimate flexible weapon" still better describes a chain whip or rope dart or one of those flying claws from Enter the Fist.
    Which makes me think of Jet Li's Fearless, when the Samurai and Huo Yuanjia swap weapons mid-fight and the Samurai nearly kills himself trying to swing the 3 section staff. Flexible weapons are the hardest to wield because, well, they're flexible, so they have a mind of their own.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2012 1:34am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp.negative View Post
    My point was geared towards Auszi, who said that he didn't believe the whip to have "stopping power," and when I said that a whip would stop anyone cold if they got hit in the eye with it, he retorted that my "style field was incorrect." Yeah, every weapon could do something horrible to an eyeball, but I wanted to point out the difference between an eye gouge and a whip.
    Your comment had a whif of the chun. I am sure that if you got hit in the eyeball with a whip, it would be a pretty terrible day, but if I was charging in on a guy that was using just a whip, what would I be protecting?

I did find the info about using it compliment with a dagger to be interesting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2012 11:08am

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guarding your head is first priority, of course. But my point stands that the whip does have stopping power, especially when it meets especially delicate areas such as the eye. The crack of the whip would probably be pretty painful if it happened close enough to your ear, though I'm not sure it would completely stop a person, it'd definitely stun them.

I'll just wield a chair with my whip. Keep 'em at a safe distance. Then I can be a circus man!

Posted On:
    4/17/2012 12:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    Your comment had a whif of the chun. I am sure that if you got hit in the eyeball with a whip, it would be a pretty terrible day, but if I was charging in on a guy that was using just a whip, what would I be protecting?

I did find the info about using it compliment with a dagger to be interesting.
    Your eyes? If someone's shielding their eyes you can do a level change while whipping and hit underneath, to the groin, for example. Or, if they're using the latigo y daga style, stabbing a guy who's charging and covering his eyes should be quite easy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2012 4:19pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Your eyes? If someone's shielding their eyes you can do a level change while whipping and hit underneath, to the groin, for example. Or, if they're using the latigo y daga style, stabbing a guy who's charging and covering his eyes should be quite easy.
    Well, a man armed with a knife and a whip is certainly going to be more dangerous than an unarmed man and probably more dangerous than a man with just a knife. On the other hand, the same could be said for a man with a ROCK and a knife - and I think the rock plus knife combo could work pretty well against Captain Castlevania. I'm sure bull whips were handy in fights from time to time but probably mostly to people who used them for other tasks already and for whom they were already expedient. Going out of your way to train with them because they're super effective seems silly.

Posted On:
    4/17/2012 4:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    Well, a man armed with a knife and a whip is certainly going to be more dangerous than an unarmed man and probably more dangerous than a man with just a knife. On the other hand, the same could be said for a man with a ROCK and a knife - and I think the rock plus knife combo could work pretty well against Captain Castlevania.
    That ricochet rock was such a lame weapon in Castlevania!

I'm sure bull whips were handy in fights from time to time but probably mostly to people who used them for other tasks already and for whom they were already expedient. Going out of your way to train with them because they're super effective seems silly.
    Yeah. I train it sometimes because it's uncommon, a skill that can be very highly developed (not necessarily as a fighting art but as a focus/precision/timing tool) so it's not easy to get bored with, and some chicks dig it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2012 9:15pm

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was told once by a guro that whips for fighting often had razorblades or fish hooks attached to them. While it may not be the most dangerous or the ultimate flexable weapon, a fish hook to the groin going supersonic speeds would make me upset to say the least.

Posted On:
    4/17/2012 11:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    I was told once by a guro that whips for fighting often had razorblades or fish hooks attached to them. While it may not be the most dangerous or the ultimate flexable weapon, a fish hook to the groin going supersonic speeds would make me upset to say the least.
    I've also heard of tying a tiny blade to the popper. From the Sayocs, I think.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234