Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Thread: Psychics

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    87
    Style
    Jujitsu and BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Psychics

    Thought I'd try and grow the 'General Skepticism' section a little by starting about psychics. Now, I am under this opinion:

    There is no such thing as a psychic.

    Now I understand the 'debate' is similar to religion and God, but there's one key difference- it's actually provable, (whilst no one can truly prove/ disprove the existence of a god). There has never been a single reported case of a psychic succeeding under real conditions and yet people are still taken in by it.

    Its really annoying that people are still 'open minded' about someone being able to move things with their mind, divination, psychic reading and speaking to the dead, because they are just not real.

    Hope this begins a debate :D

  2. #2
    Kovacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,175
    Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've already nailed it, it's just like religion. Despite what the facts point to, if someone really, really wants to believe in something they'll believe in it regardless.
    Ne Obliviscaris

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    87
    Style
    Jujitsu and BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    You've already nailed it, it's just like religion. Despite what the facts point to, if someone really, really wants to believe in something they'll believe in it regardless.
    Ah but that's my point- yeah they will believe it, but I think with psychic you can actually make them see its bollocks. Unlike religion, something as allegedly tangible as psychic activity should be provable. Take the James Randi foundation- they still offer 1 million dollars to ANYONE who can prove supernatural ability of any kind. Of ANY kind. And I don't think they even have to pass 100%, I think they just have to do substantially better than what is statistically achieved through 'luck'.

  4. #4
    battlefields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia, Land of Oz
    Posts
    5,356
    Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you concede that maybe some people have a heightened sense of intuition that borders what some might describe as "psychic"?

    Only reason why I throw this out there is I have done what has been described by some people as "psychic" things, including being described by a "professional psychic" as me having the "gift". Now, I don't want you thinking that I think I am psychic, the particular situation was me deeply observing the "psychic's" home and contents and making inferences that turned out to be correct. The main example was pointing out that there was recently a medieval type sword having been above the TV that had been removed, possibly by a family member. She described me as psychic because there indeed was a sword above the TV and her father had taken it the week prior.

    She also explained that she felt there was two spirits in her house that wasn't threatening, but was unnerving her. I suggested that the spirits were that of a child (or a dog) and an old woman, she showed me clippings of a newspaper article from the 60s or 70s of an older woman who had murder suicide her child in that house. Now, the two other people there were amazed at how easily I was showing my "gift", especially considering the professional "psychic" was quick to bestow the title.

    Truthfully, the decor of the place meant a medieval sword would not be out of place, I made an inference that it was above the TV because there was a hook and space there. Nothing spectacular, if I was wrong it could have been seen as there was one there before she moved in and the family member, well, I knew that she had been in a relationship with my mate for a while and barely had a social life. BAM, psychic'd. And the fact that she thought there were two spirits that were non threatening, a woman and her child would be pretty non threatening.

    However, there is a trippy twist. Being that I am a spiritual person, I decided to "have a chat" with the unnerving spirits, downstairs, away from everyone else under the guise of going to the bathroom, just in case. I know it sounds bullshit, but I just said out loud, "this is no longer your realm, move on". When I walked upstairs, the "psychic" came running out of the kitchen and said, "they're gone, what did you do?"

    Yeah. I got no answer for that one.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    87
    Style
    Jujitsu and BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Would you concede that maybe some people have a heightened sense of intuition that borders what some might describe as "psychic"?

    Only reason why I throw this out there is I have done what has been described by some people as "psychic" things, including being described by a "professional psychic" as me having the "gift". Now, I don't want you thinking that I think I am psychic, the particular situation was me deeply observing the "psychic's" home and contents and making inferences that turned out to be correct. The main example was pointing out that there was recently a medieval type sword having been above the TV that had been removed, possibly by a family member. She described me as psychic because there indeed was a sword above the TV and her father had taken it the week prior.

    She also explained that she felt there was two spirits in her house that wasn't threatening, but was unnerving her. I suggested that the spirits were that of a child (or a dog) and an old woman, she showed me clippings of a newspaper article from the 60s or 70s of an older woman who had murder suicide her child in that house. Now, the two other people there were amazed at how easily I was showing my "gift", especially considering the professional "psychic" was quick to bestow the title.

    Truthfully, the decor of the place meant a medieval sword would not be out of place, I made an inference that it was above the TV because there was a hook and space there. Nothing spectacular, if I was wrong it could have been seen as there was one there before she moved in and the family member, well, I knew that she had been in a relationship with my mate for a while and barely had a social life. BAM, psychic'd. And the fact that she thought there were two spirits that were non threatening, a woman and her child would be pretty non threatening.

    However, there is a trippy twist. Being that I am a spiritual person, I decided to "have a chat" with the unnerving spirits, downstairs, away from everyone else under the guise of going to the bathroom, just in case. I know it sounds bullshit, but I just said out loud, "this is no longer your realm, move on". When I walked upstairs, the "psychic" came running out of the kitchen and said, "they're gone, what did you do?"

    Yeah. I got no answer for that one.
    I don't mean to be a little bitch, but I honestly don't know where to start with the problems with all of that. I would also like to clarify that ironically I didn't always used to be like this- I used to wholeheartedly believe in Reiki, Crystal healing, Clairvoyance and homeopathy (don't get me started on that: ). However what I found was the there was a direct correlation between the amount of actual research I did, and the decrease in all that crap I believed.

    It's kind of like superstition, it's based on our want to link where there is no link. People are so keen to believe some things, they will make it real. The human brain is capable of tripping harder than a acid trip without any drugs, in the right conditions, those chemicals are actually there. But the idea of 'intuition' is not based in anything, similar to the whole 'we don't use 80% of our brain' bollocks which people seem to fall for so easily, and is based on nothing.

    Another example would be the 'every time I think of someone, they call, I must be psychic'. WRONG- what it means is that you are exhibiting something which is a statistical anomaly, but you have to remember that there are 6 billion people that probably DIDNT just happen to. I don't have time to delve into each and every facet of your suggestions above, and again that may well be something that you really believed (i.e. Im not calling you a liar)- however, what I would say is that I think if you and the 'professional psychic' were put to any kind of actual test, you would both fail almost every time. And the fact you failed would mean that no, there is no shade of grey, you just don't have any 'heightened intuition' in terms of paranormally.

    On the other side of that, I would say that people ARE intuitive in a real biological sense, and that some people are better than others at this. It's the reason animals can 'sense danger' and 'smell fear' etc. Its nothing supernatural at ALL, its to do with the myriad of senses we DO have (yes we have many many more than 5, another stupid myth) but don't listen to very well, because of how we've evolved into a situation we don't need to.

  6. #6
    Chili Pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,446
    Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a couple years back in my 20's, I did tarot card readings at psychic fairs and made some damn good money doing it.

    Did I believe that I was actually divining the future or some hidden insights into someone's life? Half-and-half, really. As a testament to the flexibility of the human mind, while I believed in what I was doing to a degree, I laughed at people who were so over the edge as to believe whatever a bunch of printed cardboard cards supposedly revealed.

    A line I used often: "if you're coming to me and a tarot card reading for advice, it's time to take a look at your life and prioritize."

  7. #7
    battlefields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia, Land of Oz
    Posts
    5,356
    Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorterlaing View Post
    I don't mean to be a little bitch, but I honestly don't know where to start with the problems with all of that. I would also like to clarify that ironically I didn't always used to be like this- I used to wholeheartedly believe in Reiki, Crystal healing, Clairvoyance and homeopathy (don't get me started on that: ). However what I found was the there was a direct correlation between the amount of actual research I did, and the decrease in all that crap I believed.

    It's kind of like superstition, it's based on our want to link where there is no link. People are so keen to believe some things, they will make it real. The human brain is capable of tripping harder than a acid trip without any drugs, in the right conditions, those chemicals are actually there. But the idea of 'intuition' is not based in anything, similar to the whole 'we don't use 80% of our brain' bollocks which people seem to fall for so easily, and is based on nothing.

    Another example would be the 'every time I think of someone, they call, I must be psychic'. WRONG- what it means is that you are exhibiting something which is a statistical anomaly, but you have to remember that there are 6 billion people that probably DIDNT just happen to. I don't have time to delve into each and every facet of your suggestions above, and again that may well be something that you really believed (i.e. Im not calling you a liar)- however, what I would say is that I think if you and the 'professional psychic' were put to any kind of actual test, you would both fail almost every time. And the fact you failed would mean that no, there is no shade of grey, you just don't have any 'heightened intuition' in terms of paranormally.

    On the other side of that, I would say that people ARE intuitive in a real biological sense, and that some people are better than others at this. It's the reason animals can 'sense danger' and 'smell fear' etc. Its nothing supernatural at ALL, its to do with the myriad of senses we DO have (yes we have many many more than 5, another stupid myth) but don't listen to very well, because of how we've evolved into a situation we don't need to.
    ****, man, read what I wrote again. I said I DON'T think I am psychic and I made fucking deductions based on information presented to me, which would include intuition into the situation (yes, I meant in the fucking biological sense, not paranormal intuition, jeez, I said I'm not psychic).

    Oh yeah, I've researched a shitload on it, too, and yeah, the more I researched, the more I believed that I was tuning into those other senses (16 if I remember correctly, but don't quote me) rather than any kind of supernatural plane of existence.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    87
    Style
    Jujitsu and BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah cool, apologies, I misunderstood :) But you did indirectly say you believed in spirits...

  9. #9
    battlefields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia, Land of Oz
    Posts
    5,356
    Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what is out there and some of my experiences have lead me to be open to the idea that there *could* be another plane of existence, whatever it is. I am also a skeptic when it comes to psychics and other things, because charlatans abound. I will not, however, close my mind to the idea of a plane of existence that we are just not aware of and the more I learn the more I think it could tie in with science more than religion, the energies of the universe that are constantly being discovered under research. I'm certain that human conscious is not the highest form of conscious in the universe and I do believe in a power greater than myself, whatever it is it is not for me to define. Define it as God or the fucking God particle, we're all just energy clashing and flowing. ****, one day scientist might map the universes flow of energy and unleash all that we've ever dreamed possible. I'm a mortal and my coil will unwind long before that occurs. I'll marvel at marvels in the meantime.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    87
    Style
    Jujitsu and BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I don't know what is out there and some of my experiences have lead me to be open to the idea that there *could* be another plane of existence, whatever it is."
    Your experiences are purely anecdotal, and do not reflect accurate measurement of paranormal activity of any kind. Even if you genuinely saw a ghost, you would have been hallucinating.

    "I am also a skeptic when it comes to psychics and other things, because charlatans abound."
    Thats a good start, but how about NONE of them are real. Seriously, none of them could beat a simple test.

    "I will not, however, close my mind to the idea of a plane of existence that we are just not aware of and the more I learn the more I think it could tie in with science more than religion, the energies of the universe that are constantly being discovered under research."
    But such a plane of existence has no backing in any science at all- it cannot 'tie in' because it has never even had a shred of evidence. Not even a small bit. Until something has a shred, it can't be said to tie in any way with science. Any concept of this stuff was made up by human beings, not 'seen' or witnessed by anyone. Thats kind of like saying you believe a random man will give you a car for free, because you believe he might do- you are basing that 'open mindedness' on a HUMAN idea.

    "I'm certain that human conscious is not the highest form of conscious in the universe and I do believe in a power greater than myself, whatever it is it is not for me to define. Define it as God or the fucking God particle, we're all just energy clashing and flowing."
    No, you are not certain, it is impossible to be certain. And yes, before you come back with the all too used argument, I can never be certain you are wrong. However, as the far more intelligent than us Richard Dawkins said, I CAN be 99.9% certain.

    "I'll marvel at marvels in the meantime."
    Why can't we just accept that the world is not full of mystical energy of any kind? Ive never understood this. It is totally possible to marvel at the world, and universe without seeing something which isn't there.

    Oh and whilst I'm at it, I don't have $1mill but if anyone here can prove under test conditions that they have any paranormal ability, I will give them $500.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in