Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2012 9:24am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of useful stuff, thanks. I just had to ask about it because, when doing boxing only sparring (no kicks, duh), I'm landing a lot of body shots all the time but I couldn't quite figure out how to do so when kicks are involved.

Guess I just have to work on my overall movement and on what I'm focusing when sparring with kicks etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2012 9:39am

Style: American Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I dunno, I lead with the body jab occasionally, and it usually sets up a head shot pretty well.
    Also, left hooks. Anytime you can wing someone in the liver, that's an accomplishment in and of itself.
    agreed the body jab allows you to keep the safe range while scoring. yet i'm sure you throw a couple jabs to the face beforehand. i was speaking on liver shots and body hooks. which should always be set up with at least a feint if your fast enough or if you slip a jab or straight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2012 12:12am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Also, left hooks. Anytime you can wing someone in the liver, that's an accomplishment in and of itself.
    ^^^^^QFT.

My favorite: Left Jab, Right Overhand, Left Shovel Hook to the Liver.

And I lead jab to the body, cross to the head all the time. Just have to make sure your hands are up, and your body position is good.

Posted On:
    4/15/2012 2:40pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    ^^^^^QFT.

My favorite: Left Jab, Right Overhand, Left Shovel Hook to the Liver.

And I lead jab to the body, cross to the head all the time. Just have to make sure your hands are up, and your body position is good.
    I like the 1-2-body hook-head hook, end it with a right leg kick. The body hook and kick almost always land.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2012 2:34am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I quite enjoy throwing body shot in Muay Thai. It throws people off, and as said before, can set you up for some pretty nic head shots. I've found a good range for a rigth cross to the gut now and have used it effectively in sparring. It's a shame I didn't use it more in my first fight, I may have come out on top if I caught him with a ringer!

Keep at it and just make sure you cover with your unused hand and you'll find it very satisfying to see them try not to curl up when you wind them!

Posted On:
    8/12/2012 3:32am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Body shots are extremely effective, though as people have mentioned you need to set them up, a nice combo would be : Check opponents jab with your left hand (open glove) step with your left leg (while checking) forward (and down) and a bit to the left, shoulders twists a bit clockwise while checking, and then countering with a power cross to the abdomen, preferably just over his pelvic bone, he will be slightly to the side after his jab.
    Another variation of this is to check his jab while moving forward as described earlier this time with your right glove, countering with your own jab to make him lift his guard, than lowering yourself while throwing a big right cross again just over his pelvic bone and under his ribs to the soft part.. Your movement is forward and to the left so your cross is powerful, and you change levels and position so it isn't easy to catch you. Just get out clean.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2012 7:51am

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you land a good body shot you can also shove the person out and head kick them while they're bent over. The one time I managed to do that double-jab, hook to body, shove, head-kick combo was the one time I felt like a tough guy.

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 7:42am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    If you land a good body shot you can also shove the person out and head kick them while they're bent over. The one time I managed to do that double-jab, hook to body, shove, head-kick combo was the one time I felt like a tough guy.
    You kicked a guy's head while he was bent over because of a shot to the body? not nice :)
    remember it's just practice, you don't want to be that guy in the gym.

Posted On:
    10/13/2012 4:25am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    You kicked a guy's head while he was bent over because of a shot to the body? not nice :)
    remember it's just practice, you don't want to be that guy in the gym.
    Personally I like my gym mates to expose my weaknesses, not hold. back after every big shot and say 'i"m sorry, are you ok?".

OP: in muay thai if there is ever an opening for a body shot and you think you an land the kick, choose this over a punch. It'll score much better. I use punches to the body rarely, they work but knees and kicks score better.

If the ruleset is something else, very much worth throwing a lot. Especially with mma gloves they hurt so much.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12