Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2012 4:24pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bodyshots in Thaiboxing/ similar sports

So I tried playing around with punches to the body in sparring but I feel that they're sort of pointless, at least against guys with longer reach than me because it seems that I run either into punches or open myself up for being kneed.

Does it make sense to still keep trying to go for those? I felt that if I want to hit the body and kicks are allowed, I'd rather set up a roundhouse kick combo than go for the (at least for me) higher risk of moving in to get some power behind a punch to the body.

Thoughts? Advice?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/13/2012 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no thai boxer but I've sparred sanshou a good amount, and one of the CLF sifus (that actually regularly competed in combat sports) cleaned up my body shots by drilling that the punch should be level with the shoulder; the height of the punch is accounted for by using the legs, not by punching below your own shoulder level and not by bending at the waist. This way, you don't have to bring your hand back up, because relatively speaking it doesn't go down. Plus the posture of it works good level change principles in general.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2012 6:01pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I guess you're right. Thinking about it, I do a lot of bending at the waist when going for the body shot.

Once again, I feel like I should have someone film me when sparring to clean out some of the stupid habits I got into.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2012 6:58pm

Style: American Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can't just lead with body shots. you have to set them up using head strikes and angles to set them up. They are far from pointless. the day you properly set one up or someone lands one on you, you'll see the light

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2012 11:53pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'm no thai boxer but I've sparred sanshou a good amount, and one of the CLF sifus (that actually regularly competed in combat sports) cleaned up my body shots by drilling that the punch should be level with the shoulder; the height of the punch is accounted for by using the legs, not by punching below your own shoulder level and not by bending at the waist. This way, you don't have to bring your hand back up, because relatively speaking it doesn't go down. Plus the posture of it works good level change principles in general.
    I remember being intent on dropping a guy with body shots in sparring, and I had the same experience as the first poster, but actually the above makes really good sense, and like you say, it means you are constantly changing levels.

You tend to find most guys, especially those that weight train have bigger upper bodies and therefore their body by default avoids the squat position and they find it difficult to change levels, I know I have been guilty of that in the past.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/14/2012 3:39am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by robdaze151 View Post
    you can't just lead with body shots. you have to set them up using head strikes and angles to set them up. They are far from pointless. the day you properly set one up or someone lands one on you, you'll see the light
    I dunno, I lead with the body jab occasionally, and it usually sets up a head shot pretty well.
    Also, left hooks. Anytime you can wing someone in the liver, that's an accomplishment in and of itself.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2012 3:59am

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ladies and gents... Nathan Corbett

http://youtu.be/jeSNpG9JkLg

Posted On:
    4/14/2012 4:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    This also increases your range, dropping (or raising for that matter) the hand from shoulder level significantly reduces reach.
    Leading with your face, as is required by bending over to land a body shot, is also generally a bad idea.

Posted On:
    4/14/2012 7:43am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I throw body shots all the time against taller people. It's really pretty much the best time to throw them. Not to mention that constantly changing levels makes ALL your punches land more, just because the other guy doesn't really know where you're going, if you're good at it. They're also great as counters. I use a cross to the body on people coming in pretty frequently, which tends to stop them dead in their tracks. I'll also throw a jab to the body while slipping to the right and then follow it up with a right uppercut or an overhand. They open up all kinds of fun stuff.

the height of the punch is accounted for by using the legs, not by punching below your own shoulder level and not by bending at the waist.
    YES. This. My coach tells us we have to "get down, not bend down." Or sometimes "I guess you're ugly enough to lead with your face and not lose much, but do it the way I told you anyway." You lose a lot of power when you bend at the waist, and you're breaking the cardinal rule of the shorter fighter- don't sacrifice any more reach than you already are.

Also, left hooks. Anytime you can wing someone in the liver, that's an accomplishment in and of itself.
    And this. If you drill someone with a really solid shot in the guts, they aren't shaking it off. And there's really no substitute for that "WHAHUFF" sound you get when you knock the breath out of someone.
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 4/14/2012 7:47am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2012 9:15am

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    And there's really no substitute for that "WHAHUFF" sound you get when you knock the breath out of someone.
    And that look of quit in their eyes

:EWBTE2:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast