Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 4:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hands drop down before punching

So my coach says that when I'm training, my hands drop down before I punch, which can telegraph my moves and leave me wide open. Problem is that I don't even see or feel it happening. How do I stop my hands from dropping down?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 6:27pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shadow box in front of a mirror and watch what your hands do. And just keep training.

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 7:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use something other than uppercuts.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 9:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgalardi View Post
    So my coach says that when I'm training, my hands drop down before I punch, which can telegraph my moves and leave me wide open. Problem is that I don't even see or feel it happening. How do I stop my hands from dropping down?
    Also helps to be patient. It appears you're relatively green. Sometimes **** takes time to set in. Shadow box in front of a mirror as was already said, and while hitting the bag think about that ****. And imagine a ************'s leader coming towards you to **** your day up if your hands drop. Keep them motherfuckers up, son.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 10:07pm

Style: SL5,MT, BJJ noob,Chow Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude coaching me has an annoying but sage mantra "Gloves glued to your face". I'm slow as but always have 16 ozs touching on my face unless hitting. That and ^^^ shadow and the mirror stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2012 10:26pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without seeing you working the bag or sparring, I am having to take a stab in the dark here. My guess, is that you are trying to load up on the punches with a kill, kill, kill mindset. Relax andlet the power happen. I say this, as anytime I have one of my fighters dropping their hands, it is usually them trying to load up on the power. I may be wrong(wouldn't be the first time), but this is usually what is causing my guys to drop their hands.

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 5:01am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to correct this quickly, ask a (seasoned) guy to semi spar with you, he may only counter punch, and you lead with single punches. If you start to drop them, he will capitalize quickly, and you will learn to keep one of your hands up, your chin down, and your punches will go strait. An advance state in boxing is to punch through punches, to do that you need a better stance than your opponent (and some practice). Also: As said, shadow box in front of a mirror, punch a heavy bag with just the left while your right holds a tennis ball etc. And of course just train a lot.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 5:12am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    If you start to drop them, he will capitalize quickly, and you will learn to keep one of your hands up, your chin down, and your punches will go strait.
    My coach taught me to keep my hands up and chin tucked by jabbing me every time I dropped them. I was suffering from the Tae Kwon Do Effect when I began learning to box (I'm still learning), and kept my hands at waist-level.

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 6:11am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    some people can learn from watching, most can't, and the surest way to teach someone to protect themselves is to give them ample reason. It also serves to refine the technique. It can be just a light tap on the forehead, done enough times, it will cause the noob to want to stop it.

Posted On:
    10/15/2012 10:33am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your hands also should feel higher than you are totaly comfortable with.

Your hands pretty much think the can go in line with your shoulder and then punch out because that makes an anatomical triangle.

Your head has other ideas
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast