Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 6:33pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed. Jackson didn't have an answer for the kicks the entire match. Largely due to Jones' absurd reach advantage, but the point still stands.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 9:10pm

Style: Taekkyon Kudo MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Straight kick to the knee is actually a very good technique to maintain distance in Taekyun matches. It's not an auto-knee-buster, but I've seen people get hurt when they run straight into the kick.

However I've been discouraged from using it in Kudo and MMA training. So for all this time I thought the move was illegal?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 9:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When performing a kick to the knee, the foot should be perpendicular to the leg, either facing in or out.

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 10:33pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you trying to blow a ligament? If so, attacking the posterior surface at an angle works the best--I have seen more ACL blowouts from that (either training accidents, or from tackles in football/rugby gone wrong) than any other method.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/13/2012 4:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeWalker View Post
    However I've been discouraged from using it in Kudo and MMA training. So for all this time I thought the move was illegal?
    Legal in unified rules MMA. Jon Jones does them a lot, Anderson Silva did it to Thales Leites, Brandon Vera to Keith Jardine (gif). There is whining on the internet every time, but it's yet to lead to a serious or match-ending injury in MMA that I'm aware of.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2012 6:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Legal in unified rules MMA. Jon Jones does them a lot, Anderson Silva did it to Thales Leites, Brandon Vera to Keith Jardine (gif). There is whining on the internet every time, but it's yet to lead to a serious or match-ending injury in MMA that I'm aware of.
    The only time such kicks result in an injury is when the receiving person has poor footwork.

People at my Kudo dojo were all dissing Jon Jones about how 'cowardly' he was, and I was the only one there that was like "what? whats wrong with that?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2012 3:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason View Post
    Are you trying to blow a ligament? If so, attacking the posterior surface at an angle works the best--I have seen more ACL blowouts from that (either training accidents, or from tackles in football/rugby gone wrong) than any other method.
    Sorry could you clarify how you would strike the back of the knee during a sanda/mma match.

Most competitors point the front knee forward. So I would find the back of the knee hard to strike. Unless I'm completely missing something here (which I could very well be)

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2012 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superninjagod View Post
    Sorry could you clarify how you would strike the back of the knee during a sanda/mma match.

Most competitors point the front knee forward. So I would find the back of the knee hard to strike. Unless I'm completely missing something here (which I could very well be)
    It would be pretty unlikely. If your opponent was in a position to kick the back of his knee, there'd be other, juicer, options beckoning. Hence, the lack of examples of guys crippled in the ring by knee strikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Posted On:
    4/13/2012 4:17pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeWalker View Post
    The only time such kicks result in an injury is when the receiving person has poor footwork.

People at my Kudo dojo were all dissing Jon Jones about how 'cowardly' he was, and I was the only one there that was like "what? whats wrong with that?"
    It's always been kind of a gentlemen’s agreement between fighters, basically you don't kick my knees I won't kick yours. Same thing goes for foot stomps, they're legal but most don't do them.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/13/2012 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would also like to add that I am a huge, huge fan of the chasse to the thigh right above the knee as a distance-control technique, and think it's totally under utilized.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast