Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 6:58am

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Does this Krav Maga academy look like a Mcdojo?

I'm thinking of joining this academy in Maryland to take Muay Thai, since it's going to be offered there soon, at least that's what my friend tells me. He takes Krav Maga over there and he tells me it's very fun. The website doesn't show anything about Muay Thai though, so I'm not sure...

http://www.kravacademy.com

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 8:04am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to the staff bios:
    Ivo Boykov, V.P. Training and Certification

Ivo has experience in many forms of martial arts for over 25 years and is a certified Krav Maga Instructor. He is 1 of 18 certified instructors in bando letha yoga worldwide and holds a 3rd degree Black Belt in Taekwondo as well as Black Belts in both Savate and Sambo, and high rankings in Judo, Karate, and Muay Thai. In addition Ivo has also worked as a certified personal trainer and is currently a certified massage therapist. His vast understanding of the human anatomy allows him to train the body and mind while knowing how to activate the appropriate muscle groups for maximum efficient training as well as giving him the knowledge of how to keep students safe in extreme training environment.

Hayk Tadevosyan, Lead Trainer

Hayk is a certified Krav Maga instructor. He has a vast experience in the Fitness Industry as a Boxing trainer. Hayk competed in various boxing tournaments; won New York State Regional Golden Gloves tournament in 2010 and took the 2nd Place in New York State Golden Gloves tournament both in 2009 and 2010. He studied competitive Kickboxing and Muay Thai and taught boxing classes to Cornell University and Ithaca College students. Hayk has trained professional and amateur boxers for numerous competitions and cross-trained young athletes for endurance, speed, quickness, balance, hand-eye coordination and explosiveness.
    So, it seems there's some Muay Thai background there (although, I wonder about the first guy, where it says "and high rankings in Judo, Karate, and Muay Thai" - we can assume neither of the first two is a black belt, since they would have stated so, and high ranking in Muay Thai? That's anyone's guess.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 8:04am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrong forum, thread will be moved.

I know next to nothing about Krav.

If I were interested in learning Muay Thai, I'd probably go to a MT school with a good fight record. There are about 6-10 of them around me, there are probably some in MD.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 2:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I don't think it is an obvious mcdojo. It doesn't claim to teach you super secret death palm strike. There also isn't a lot of info on the site for you to make an informed decision.

You will burn approximately 1,000-1,300 calories each class.
    It looks like each class is an hour...That is one hell of an hour. This doesn't say anything about how effective the teaching is, but I call shenanigans on those numbers.

Krav Magra is all about effective, practical skills in a self defense or street scenario (correct me if I'm wrong). In order for that to work there needs to be a high level of aliveness. Ask your friend how often they live spar (and if it is full contact or just light sparring) or if it's just drills. That might give you an idea of how they might run their MT classes.

Personally I would just look for an already established Muay Thai gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 3:22pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    According to the staff bios:

So, it seems there's some Muay Thai background there (although, I wonder about the first guy, where it says "and high rankings in Judo, Karate, and Muay Thai" - we can assume neither of the first two is a black belt, since they would have stated so, and high ranking in Muay Thai? That's anyone's guess.
    Black belt in Savate? I think Rene would be better for this, but I thought Savate ranks were based on the glove colors...?

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 3:26pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    Black belt in Savate? I think Rene would be better for this, but I thought Savate ranks were based on the glove colors...?
    They are, but I was speaking in general terms. That they didn't bother to clarify what "high rankings" mean, is a red flag to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 3:51pm

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Their twitter account his empty and the Facebook and YouTube links are going to the homepages. So it doesn't tell us much about who they are other than what is on the website.
    The staff looks qualify but the ranking is a bit unclear. Furthermore, there are several Krav Maga institutions. it would be good to know from which one they are certified.

Best for you to try their free seminar and see if you like it or not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2012 2:27am

Style: Wrestling/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When they talk about how many calories are burned, in addition to "good self defence" it caters more to the heavyset soccor moms afraid of a break in. I have not seen them use any fear based marketing yet, which is good for a Krav school.

The testing system seems legit, but I can't find if they have testing fees or not.

This blurb here seems to indicate that they believe they are training in an alive manner:

Its not realistic - in our classes, we stress you so you can experience what it feels like to have someone grab, choke, or grab you
    Its too hard to understand - our instructors have years of experience working with men, woman and young adults with what comes natural to everyone
    It costs a lot of money - what is the price of your safety worth?

Try the seminar, if its alive, and you enjoy it, then you should have your answer bud.

Posted On:
    4/17/2012 7:47am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought Krav Maga had belts..does it state they have black belts in Krav? When i studied Krav Maga in israel in the 90's we used to spar every class, in some sort of boxing kickboxing judo rule set, with full gear on, and full power. the difference was that sometimes it was two or even three on one.

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 9:50am

Style: kravmaga wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Krav Certifications

Its pretty easy to check the certification of schools teaching Krav Maga. The world wide organization is in Los Angelas CA and lists who is certified to teach under thier certifications. The other legit organization (acant remember exact title) I think under Amir Petit, will also confirm an instructors certs. Bottom line, follow up and check. One thing I would ask, is did they just go through an instructors program, or did they get to the black belt level first, THEN go through as an instructor?
    I was involved in Krav for 3 years, loved every class, got me in great shape and improved my other training in martial arts greatly. I dont care for forms and stuff, so it was bare bones put the gloves on and apply what they taught. The exhuastion drills were great. Its not for everyone, but I at least new my instructor was properly certified and he had acheived the BB level of Krav. Great school.