Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
A lot of the improbability arguments—not all, but a lot of them—are also bunk, because they deal with arbitrarily defined quantities. For example, such an argument might go “the proton mass is 1.672621777(74)10−27; now if it varied by just one part in ten billion billion billion, the universe would be all topsy-turvy”—but “one part in ten billion billion billion” is defined in terms of units humans invented, and this argument could equally well be stated “the proton mass is 1.0 p-units; now if it varied by just one part in ten…”, which sounds a lot less impressive. The author to read on this is Victor J. Stenger.
As opposed to the more accurate units of measurement created by dolphins?

I think I grasp the point you're driving at, it's similar to one I read in a book called "God and the New Physics" which is a collection of essays on atheism and theism in relation to all this quantum stuff.
One of the essays is from an atheist, who describes the probability arguements as going down to the beach, picking up a particular pebble from the sea shore, declaring "What are the odds that, from all the pebbles on this beach, I would pick THIS particular one?" and then making a huge fuss over it.
Although I have no idea why I, a Frothing At the Mouth Fundamentalist, am trying to clarify and unpack your Godless Heathen arguement, instead of trying to reduce you to tears with cutting remarks, as my World Literature professor did to a student who referred to the Epic of Gilgamesh as "the earliest known work of human literature".