Page 1 of 3 123 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stepping in after a punch?

Hey guys, I've been doing JJJ for a bit, and a part of the curriculum is devoted to striking. Usually that just means you hit a big poofy pad with whatever techniques you like from whatever striking discipline you prefer, but last time we worked some combinations. It was like sport karate with hands up and no shouting.

One of the combinations involved a big straight right followed by stepping in, and a straight left as your foot came down. It wasn't a shuffling step like I was taught in kickboxing and it wasn't a lunge punch like in karate. It more closely resembled the step you take in HEMA after striking with a longsword.

I was wondering if this kind of punch is actually a thing, as I've never learnt to do it in kickboxing. I once saw a guy in an MMA video mention stepping in like that after a big hook, but I can't find it anymore. It seems like you're vulnerable during the step.

Has anyone else learned this? Anyone used it in sparring? I won't get the chance to try it out in kickboxing for a few weeks, and tbh I'm a little worried I'll embarrass myself if I do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mean you advance with a step and punch simultaniosly with ipsilateral hand?
    That is a karate thing and to me would feel weird. Of course you can generate good power behind a punch like that. Especially because you step into it.
    Whether you are more exposed? Nope. Can't see why.
    My problem with it is that it is slower and you are brodcasting it .
    I'm used to punching with the contralateral hand while advancing. The energy goes through a shorter path AND You get the added turk from your waist and shoulders.
    Its not just the forward shifting of weight but also the turk that by itself is powerful. There are some big muscles involved.
    If youb kickbox and do jjj. Take the kickboxing kick and boxing. They specilize in it.
    The other self defense crap you can take from jjj.
    Though you best be doing judo or bjj instead.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guird View Post
    Hey guys, I've been doing JJJ for a bit, and a part of the curriculum is devoted to striking. Usually that just means you hit a big poofy pad with whatever techniques you like from whatever striking discipline you prefer, but last time we worked some combinations. It was like sport karate with hands up and no shouting.

One of the combinations involved a big straight right followed by stepping in, and a straight left as your foot came down. It wasn't a shuffling step like I was taught in kickboxing and it wasn't a lunge punch like in karate. It more closely resembled the step you take in HEMA after striking with a longsword.

I was wondering if this kind of punch is actually a thing, as I've never learnt to do it in kickboxing. I once saw a guy in an MMA video mention stepping in like that after a big hook, but I can't find it anymore. It seems like you're vulnerable during the step.

Has anyone else learned this? Anyone used it in sparring? I won't get the chance to try it out in kickboxing for a few weeks, and tbh I'm a little worried I'll embarrass myself if I do.
    cross stepping?

which is punching like you would walk.

or i guess the term might be square gating. Which is an army tem for people who cant march.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    You mean you advance with a step and punch simultaniosly with ipsilateral hand?
    That is a karate thing and to me would feel weird. Of course you can generate good power behind a punch like that. Especially because you step into it.
    Whether you are more exposed? Nope. Can't see why.
    My problem with it is that it is slower and you are brodcasting it .
    I'm used to punching with the contralateral hand while advancing. The energy goes through a shorter path AND You get the added turk from your waist and shoulders.
    Its not just the forward shifting of weight but also the turk that by itself is powerful. There are some big muscles involved.
    If youb kickbox and do jjj. Take the kickboxing kick and boxing. They specilize in it.
    The other self defense crap you can take from jjj.
    Though you best be doing judo or bjj instead.

No, it's not like a karate lunge punch, from an orthodox stance you punch with your right hand, and only after pushing off your right foot to deliver the punch do you lift it to step forward. as you complete the step you punch with the left hand (from a now southpaw stance).
    The first punch isn't any slower than any other right cross, it feels vulnerable because while I'm stepping my momentum is forward for a moment, and I can't change direction. A well timed counterpunch would have that momentum added to it.

I do BJJ as well, but unfortunately it's one of those BJJ schools that doesn't seem to bother with throws or takedowns. That's why I'm taking JJJ. I'd prefer judo to JJJ but JJJ is far more convenient for now. It seems much better and less kata-centric than what I've heard about most JJJ schools, so it's good enough for now.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    cross stepping?

which is punching like you would walk.

or i guess the term might be square gating. Which is an army tem for people who cant march.
    punching like you would walk is a pretty good description.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the way you advance while punching. Put your other hand in front of your face against the counter. Showlders high and chin down so you take the punch on your forehead. Your throwing hand's showlder should touch your jaw.
    You are pretty covered this way. And for balance keep your stance whide enough. Smaller quick steps also.
    If you do it that way. Keeping your paces short and quick and your punches fast and accurate its very hard to counter against without side stepping.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use this kind of step in weapon sparring fairly often. After reaching out with the rear weapon, the hip turns and the weight shifts to the front leg, leaving the rear leg unweighted and easy to move (although it doesn't need to step through in a straight line; it can also go into a sidestep or forward diagonally).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    That's the way you advance while punching. Put your other hand in front of your face against the counter. Showlders high and chin down so you take the punch on your forehead. Your throwing hand's showlder should touch your jaw.
    You are pretty covered this way. And for balance keep your stance whide enough. Smaller quick steps also.
    If you do it that way. Keeping your paces short and quick and your punches fast and accurate its very hard to counter against without side stepping.
    You sure? I'd always learned to step the back foot closer to the lead during a cross, not all the way through. That's also what I see in all the boxing/kickboxing videos I can find. In the combo they taught me you step from and orthodox stance all the way through to a southpaw stance.

Sorry if you understood it correctly already.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I use this kind of step in weapon sparring fairly often. After reaching out with the rear weapon, the hip turns and the weight shifts to the front leg, leaving the rear leg unweighted and easy to move (although it doesn't need to step through in a straight line; it can also go into a sidestep or forward diagonally).
    Any clue if it's useful for unarmed fighting too?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guird View Post
    You sure? I'd always learned to step the back foot closer to the lead during a cross, not all the way through. That's also what I see in all the boxing/kickboxing videos I can find. In the combo they taught me you step from and orthodox stance all the way through to a southpaw stance.

Sorry if you understood it correctly already.
    he's saying that's how you chase the opponent while punching, the footwork you mention is while they're staying relatively close; if they move back you'll want to cross step

Sent from my GT-I9100

Page 1 of 3 123 Last