Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2015 5:55am

supporting member
     Style: Kickboxing, MT, Sub-wrest

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

To roundhouse or to ROUNDHOUSE!!

I recently started back up training after a year of being out of it (It's a long story). The place Kash Gills gym in Birmingham. Doing both Muay Thai and Kickboxing.

So anyway, Wednesday came around and that's the kickboxing session. We do some basic technique work before moving on to the strike shield and practicing some roundhouse kicks.

My roundhouse seemed to be a great deal different to everyone else, this may be as a result of Muay Thai being my first style and thus what I default to, the rest of the kickboxing class tends to stop their roundhouse once it goes to the center, while I like to go all the way through with mine, almost landing at a 180.

I think there's pros and cons to both but the more veteran student of the class looked fairly impressed with the power I managed to generate with the kick. However I'm at odds with myself on whether I really should be learning to perform their version of the roundhouse kick as it's their style and their class and I don't want to looks as if I'm ignoring them to do my own thing, or I should continue with the Thai kick as it's what I'm comfortable with using and what my body is accustomed to doing.

What do you guys think on the matter?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2015 7:59am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Jutsu/MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd stick to your Thai version man. Many with different backgrounds try to transition to the Thai version anyway, and it takes a while to break habbit.

The other versions generate power as well, but there's a reason why the senior students were impressed with yours. I can rotate a lot better on my left( I'm orthodox) because my right was developed more from TKD and Karate, and harder to break when I started learning Muay Thai.

Posted On:
    2/07/2015 8:32am

Style: HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my (admittedly limited experience) you do get more power from the Thai kick, but the karate-style roundkick is maybe a bit faster.

I'd say stick to what you know unless the instructor specifically asks you to switch to their style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2015 9:34am

Style: Tang Soo Do

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mostly agree with sticking with what you know if your coaches don't have a problem with it, though I'd say there are good and bad points for both versions of roundhouse. We practice both versions in my school, though we focus on the snapping kind (we usually call the Thai kick a thrusting round.) The snapping kick has less power but tends to be a little quicker and is easier to recover from whether you hit or not. If you can fire the Thai kick close to as fast as you could the snap kick and can recover quickly, then it's a great option which could really rip someone up.

Sent from my LG-LS855 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    2/12/2015 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're talking about kicking in the air, always spin through. Trying to stop round kicks mid-air karate style is hella hard on your knees.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    2/12/2015 7:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    In my (admittedly limited experience) you do get more power from the Thai kick, but the karate-style roundkick is maybe a bit faster.

I'd say stick to what you know unless the instructor specifically asks you to switch to their style.
    It is as tricky one this. We train with karate guys who can get plenty of power out of that snappy kick.

For takedown defence. The karate kick is a bit harder to catch and puts you in a better single leg takedown defence if you do get caught.

As was mentioned. And this is important. You don't have to throw the same kick all the time. You can use them situationally so learn both kicks.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 2/12/2015 8:01pm at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/12/2015 11:52pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    If you're talking about kicking in the air, always spin through. Trying to stop round kicks mid-air karate style is hella hard on your knees.
    QFT
    ....aside from that I do both.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2015 6:35am

supporting member
     Style: Kickboxing, MT, Sub-wrest

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well lads cheers for the advice, I think I'll practice both. Seems they both have their usefulness depending on the situation and I guess it can't harm learning them both.

Though looks like I'll have to keep this info for the next gym. Being a road worker, the job is always on the move and so am I. Though we can be told at any time that we'll be in another city and I seem to have the rotten luck of finding a gym, getting comfortable there and getting shifted a week or so later.

To the next gym (hopefully we'll get moved back to Birmingham shortly).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2015 8:29am

Style: Muay Thai / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard of this analogy a few times. The snap kick (karate, kickboxing, taekwondo) is like getting hit with a whip, the Muay thai roundhouse is like getting hit with a bat. The snap kick (or chambered kick) is definetly faster but won't inflict as much damage.

Posted On:
    2/13/2015 11:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast