Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 3:42pm

Style: Jujitsu and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jujitsu good for Self Defence?

Im sure there's probably been a few posts about stuff like this, but I did a search and couldnt find it specifically!

So, people (here) seem to like practical throws from Judo, which Jujitsu has. When possible in a self defence situation, people (here) seem to like some locks, like kote gaeshi. And good strikes are almost always liked- now Jujitsu has all of that right?

So my question is, is it actually good for self defence?

Im inclined to defend it because it's my primary martial art, but I've seen and read a few things which makes me a little nervous if it came to actually using it- Ive only ever had to once, a few years back, but the guy was wasted drunk and I just put him into a wrist lock which was easy cos it took him about 5 seconds to realise what was happening...

So yeah, help?

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 3:49pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you train in an "alive" manner, yes. Arts like muay Thai, judo, brazillion jiu jitsu, boxing, and wrestling are not magic. Their superiority lies in alive training. That's it. If you compete, even better.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you say jujitsu, do you mean BJJ, or JJJ, or SCJJ etc?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 4:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    When you say jujitsu, do you mean BJJ, or JJJ, or SCJJ etc?
    I mean JJJ, although I also train in BJJ (but less regularly) so as far as self defence goes I should be able to at least survive if a fight went to the floor. SCJJ- is that Southern Cross? That's a new one to me, hope that admission doesnt get me totally ripped into...

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 4:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    small circle jujitsu

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 4:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh RIGHT, yeah I actually knew what that was, stupid me. I had a go at that at one point, quite liked it :D But yes, 'standard' Jujitsu :D

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 4:39pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorterlaing View Post
    Im inclined to defend it because it's my primary martial art, but I've seen and read a few things which makes me a little nervous if it came to actually using it- Ive only ever had to once, a few years back
    Those who practice arts like BJJ, Muay Thai, boxing, wrestling, judo, sambo, and so on don’t have to be so nervous about wondering whether they can actually use it, because (as you should know) we do it all the time. Typically I have to actually apply my BJJ or (feeble) judo skills on people actively trying to prevent me every time I go to train.

Of course context matters and I recognise, as a pure grappler, that I would be in trouble if you added strikes to the mixture. If you are concerned about this, just make sure that you regularly spar in circumstances that provide a good, alive simulation of the type of combat you actually want to prepare yourself for.

• A grappling match: Live rolling, judo-style randori, &c.
    • A fistfight: Live boxing sparring
    • A more or less anything-goes unarmed fight: MMA sparring
    • &c.

...people (here) seem to like some locks, like kote gaeshi.

[…]

but the guy was wasted drunk and I just put him into a wrist lock which was easy cos it took him about 5 seconds to realise what was happening...
    Actually, people here tend to make fun of wristlocks quite a bit. Search for the phrase “grab my wrist” and enjoy.

Can you apply wristlocks to people who don’t just stand there for five seconds? Do you practice doing it? See this thread for some discussion.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 4:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Those who practice arts like BJJ, Muay Thai, boxing, wrestling, judo, sambo, and so on don’t have to be so nervous about wondering whether they can actually use it, because (as you should know) we do it all the time. Typically I have to actually apply my BJJ or (feeble) judo skills on people actively trying to prevent me every time I go to train.

Of course context matters and I recognise, as a pure grappler, that I would be in trouble if you added strikes to the mixture. If you are concerned about this, just make sure that you regularly spar in circumstances that provide a good, alive simulation of the type of combat you actually want to prepare yourself for.

• A grappling match: Live rolling, judo-style randori, &c.
    • A fistfight: Live boxing sparring
    • A more or less anything-goes unarmed fight: MMA sparring
    • &c.

Actually, people here tend to make fun of wristlocks quite a bit. Search for the phrase “grab my wrist” and enjoy.

Can you apply wristlocks to people who don’t just stand there for five seconds? Do you practice doing it? See this thread for some discussion.
    Re wristlocks- haha yeah no worries, was very aware theyre usually something which simply does not work normally- the only time we ever use them is as a restraint after beating the shite out of them :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 5:38pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you are able to use your skills against trained opponents that is trying to fight you then you will be able to use your skills on random untrained people.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 5:41pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what mike321, Uglybugly, and myself are all saying is that the answer to your question
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorterlaing View Post
    is it actually good for self defence?
    lies in your answer to our question:

Is your jujutsu training alive?

You seem to avoid answering this question…
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast