Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 9:05am

Style: tai chi chuan, poekoelan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advice on testosterone suppliments?

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with supplements intended to raise testosterone. I'm closing in on my mid fifties and have noticed over the last year or so that my strength is diminishing some, even though I work out strenuously several times a week. (boot camps, and ma training total of 4 or 5 times a week) I'm thinking that it could be the result of lowering testosterone levels, although admittedly the only reason I think that is because of the loss of strength, and it seems to be a bit more difficult to keep my weight in check (although I'm sure the Chipotle burritos and double Whoppers don't help).
    So I'm looking for insight into these supplements, do they work, if so which ones have you had luck with, what kind of benefits, how long did it take for them to start working, that sort of thing.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 9:23am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you talking legal or?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 9:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely legal, the OTC stuff, like the herbal supplements. I'm not interested in pharmaceuticals. Sorry, I should have been more specific about that.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 9:56am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best thing would be to go to your doctor and ask for them to test your testosterone levels. If they are low, or going down, then they can give you legal doses and keep everything regulated.

Otherwise, most of the suppliments don't work. Best thing OTC, would be to eat protien right after your work out, perform certain exercises that increase the anabolic rate in your body, like squats. Watch your diet really close and eat clean.

The natural ways are going to be better, because if you start increasing muscle mass beyon what your body is capable of, you may put extra stress on your tendons and ligaments, which could cause joint instability and injuries.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 10:15am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    D-Aspartic acid looks promising, but not particularly spectacular.

30% increase in test or so. Which is pretty lame by test-booster standards, but it's supposed to help.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 10:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    The best thing would be to go to your doctor and ask for them to test your testosterone levels. If they are low, or going down, then they can give you legal doses and keep everything regulated.
    I'm not a fan of pharmaceuticals. I don't even like to take aspirin. The thought of hormone replacement through prescription methods actually scares me a little. The side effects can be worse than the problem itself!

Otherwise, most of the suppliments don't work. Best thing OTC, would be to eat protien right after your work out, perform certain exercises that increase the anabolic rate in your body, like squats. Watch your diet really close and eat clean.
    This is probably a big issue for me. When I eat clean, I eat *really* clean. The problem is I can't seem to stay on track, I know lately I've spent far too much money at KFC.
    Damn you mashed potato bowls and your delicious gravy. Damn you to hell!

The natural ways are going to be better, because if you start increasing muscle mass beyon what your body is capable of, you may put extra stress on your tendons and ligaments, which could cause joint instability and injuries.
    I'm sure you're right about this, although that was also why I was wondering about herbal supplements. As for increasing muscle mass beyond what my body is capable of....little risk of that. I'm not any kind of beefcake by any stretch. (although my wife seems to think I am, God love her) I'm not looking to bulk up at all. Mainly I would just like to be able get back to where I'm not asking myself WTF throughout my workouts.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 10:48am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    This is really ahrd to do unless you are cycling some really potent (illegal) stuff. If you are working out, and not into the heavy pharmaceuticals, your joints will grow with your muscles. As ever, consult your physician, ymmv, caveat emptor..
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 11:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by taijidude View Post
    I work out strenuously several times a week. (boot camps, and ma training total of 4 or 5 times a week)
    I don't see any mention of strength training. Try some of that and see what happens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 11:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The boot camps are pretty well rounded. A lot of cardio mixed in with a lot of strength training, albeit largely body weight type of stuff. The one downfall is most of it is timed as opposed to doing sets, which makes it tough to work with big weight. I *am* about to change my routine though. I'm going to drop to one or two boot camp sessions a week, and add in a weight session. So yeah, that will probably help, but my performance in the boot camps is what has me concerned, as I don't have the stamina or strength I did a year ago. I *did* take a month off around November of last year as I have a shoulder that gives me problems and I thought it would be good to let it rest, but it seems all that did was set my conditioning back and didn't do much for the shoulder.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heavy Leg workouts.

I did some research into T-supplements a while ago, and I found that every supplement that showed signs of increasing T levels also had studies that showed they did nothing. There isn't much consistency in the research. Very annoying.

The new one I've heard is L-Carnitine. I'm currently taking it for fat-loss (come on 6 pack!) but apparently it has some impact on Androgen levels as well. I'm looking forward to additional research being done.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast