Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe a regular poster here on Bullshido is on the con committee.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 1:51pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Yeah, several years ago at one of the first DB gatherings I saw a guy fight whip + dagger against a staff, and I thought it was pretty awesome so I went and got a whip and started learning to crack it in different ways. It's not something I learned properly in FMA or CMA though, and honestly my whip's been sitting around for a few months now. Its hard to schedule bullwhip time alongside a full time job, girlfriend, working out, and regular martial arts training. But I can crack a whip a few ways and hit targets with the tip.
    I know there are some good vids out there. IMS, DeLongis has one out, himself.

Yeah, seems to go with the territory. I thought it was kinda weird, because a bullwhip doesn't seem well suited for that- there's almost never enough room to wield it indoors and a proper whip crack can actually injure.

Fun story: about two years ago, I went on a date with an interesting woman. A skinny Asian girl who was a concert violinist and wine enthusiast who also practiced kung fu. She was interested in how I train and I showed her my FMA gearbag, and my bullwhip was in it. Turns out she was quite skilled with one. She also told me that she was, in fact, a secret dominatrix. Things didn't work out romantically, but we became friends and I learned some interesting stuff about their type and the clientelle of dominatrices.
    Brings a smile to my face. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 5:17pm

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As regards whips, my day job is actually in the fetish business, so i know from whips. I can use an 8-foot nylon bullwhip or a 6-foot snakewhip equally well and yes, you can use a bullwhip on a person.

You just need a large play space.

But I'd never try to use one as a weapon unless I really, really had to.

So the impression I'm getting here is that it's mostly stage-fighting and choreography people?

That could be useful, gotta do a stage fight with flaming hook swords in September. Haven't ever done stage combat before.

My instructor there is JP Dostal, who's competed in a few countries in fencing, but may as well see what else I can pick up on that end.

- Coeloptera

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coeloptera View Post
    As regards whips, my day job is actually in the fetish business
    In Vegas?!? Shocking.
    I can use an 8-foot nylon bullwhip or a 6-foot snakewhip equally well and yes, you can use a bullwhip on a person.

You just need a large play space.

But I'd never try to use one as a weapon unless I really, really had to.

So the impression I'm getting here is that it's mostly stage-fighting and choreography people?
    I mostly practice it because its a neat, novel thing, and it seems to introduce me to interesting people like yourself. The last time I practiced with mine in a park, an old cowboy type old timer talked to me- he said that he used to be good with one 20 years ago, and was very excited to see one again. He did a couple cattleman cracks with my whip.

A while back, my FMA teacher showed me a VHS where some eskrimador does a bullwhip demo where he snuffs out candles with a 10 foot bullwhip crack, while blindfolded. Neat stuff.

When watching it as a weapon, this is the impression I got- the fighter would keep the whip moving in a circle above his head and crack it at long distance, and the distance was greater than nearly any hand weapon the other guy could choose, so the other guy had to play a timing game- wait for the right moment for the whip to pass, then rush in quickly before another pop could be delivered. When you force someone to close a large gap quickly, you can often stick them with the dagger on their way in, so in a sense what the whip was doing was more about forcing them into a hasty charge then using the whip to inflict damage. Plus, a properly cracked whip is so fast at the end and the sound naturally scares the hell out of people.

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 6:55pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    A while back, my FMA teacher showed me a VHS where some eskrimador does a bullwhip demo where he snuffs out candles with a 10 foot bullwhip crack, while blindfolded. Neat stuff.
    I suspect you're referring to Snookie Sanchez.

My guro plays with the whip too, but I've never had the chance to work with him on that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 7:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I've been hit by whips while learning to use them, and in an actual combat situation, I'm not sure it'd stop me even if I was hit.

As you close, you eat up the distance the whipper needs to hit you with the tip. Aiming is rough. I can slice a stationary piece of paper in half at full range with the 8-footer, but no chance in hell with a moving target.

Oy. Just got told by JP he sent a line to them yesterday. I may be part of his stage-combat demo now. Whee! And I talked to my boss and we may get a booth and sell corsets (steampunks love corsetry).

So I should expect very little in the way of practical knowledge? I am really curious about bartitsu...or are any of these instructors any good with practical?

- Coeloptera

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 11:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post

Yeah, if you look at the guest list on the website, every single one of them is connected with fight choreography and film.
    That's because the "featured guests" do double-duty as instructors and demonstrators/panelists; a number of the panels are about movie/TV fight choreography, etc. Also, the organizers are deliberately marketing to fans of science fiction/fantasy/etc. genres as well as martial arts enthusiasts, and so having fight choreographers from Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc. are selling points for that market.

That said, most of the "featured guests" also have very extensive martial arts backgrounds; the money is better in the entertainment industry.

The instructor list ( http://thecombatcon.com/instructors ) includes a who's who of WMA instructors in various fields, and the class list ( http://thecombatcon.com/classes ) includes classes in both stage combat/stunt fighting and Western martial arts, with an emphasis on the latter.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 12:09am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So I should expect very little in the way of practical knowledge? I am really curious about bartitsu...or are any of these instructors any good with practical?

- Coeloptera
    Speaking from extensive personal experience, I'd suggest taking the Bartitsu class and others on the understanding that they will inevitably be pitched to the average skill/experience level of the participants. Also, almost all of the classes at CombatCon are short "tasters"; you'll get the gist of a given style, but not much more than that in a hour or a couple of hours.

That said, the instructors are normally very happy to chat about their styles etc. outside of class-time, and last year there was an evening screening and discussion of the "Bartitsu: Lost Martial Art of Sherlock Holmes" documentary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 5:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    That said, the instructors are normally very happy to chat about their styles etc. outside of class-time, and last year there was an evening screening and discussion of the "Bartitsu: Lost Martial Art of Sherlock Holmes" documentary.
    Ah-ha. If we get taken on for demos (looks like I'm gonna be GMing a RPG and doing the work booth at the very least) I think I will take advantage and talk shop with at least a few of those if I can swing it.

I gotta admit, the 'Fightin' Crazy' one also makes me very curious since I am guilty of that sometimes.

- Coeloptera

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 7:36am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a lot of "real fighting" skills there too. Let me qualify and expound. "Real fighting" doesn't always mean it's directly applicable to modern, well, modern ANYTHING. I know a number of people in the German and Italian Longsword reconstruction movement. They work really freaking hard to ensure that what they're doing is true to the concepts of real fighting during the time period it was used. But, as has been pointed out already, there's not much call to carry a Longsword these days. It doesn't make what they're doing less "real" though. Further, as DdlR has pointed out the who's who list of Stage Combat all contain people with actual skills. It's hard to rise to the top of Stage Combat choreography field without having actual skills. Stage Combat isn't "real fighting" in that it has a specific list of goals which differ dramatically from the goals of "real fighting." The primary, number one, rule is diametrically opposed to "real fighting" in that it's "everyone stays safe and no one gets hurt for real." That said, another top-tier goal of Stage Combat is that the viewer has to believe that it's real fighting or at least believe that the combat is believable within the context of the story being told. It's the difference between the fight scenes in "Taken" and the fight scenes in "Lost Girl." The expectation of the viewer these days has shifted more and more to "realism." Viewers want to believe that what they're seeing could "work in real life." In order to achieve that top level Fight Choreographers pretty much HAVE to have a solid foundation in actual martial arts.

That could be useful, gotta do a stage fight with flaming hook swords in September. Haven't ever done stage combat before.
    Stage Combat isn't real fighting. September is fast approaching but is there a local Stage Combat instructor you could take some lessons from? I know some Universities offer classes.

My instructor there is JP Dostal, who's competed in a few countries in fencing, but may as well see what else I can pick up on that end.
    Is he experienced in Stage Combat? If he's not, then I'd look to take lessons from someone who's got experience in that area. I know I wouldn't take Stage Combat lessons from me (for instance).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast