Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2012 5:11pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    My next question is why are the classes structured the way they are, why do they have the components they do, and is there a better way to do it? Tradition isn't a satisfactory answer for me, although it may be the actual reason classes are structured that way. For example, the way Mister's classes are structured is a bit like a BJJ school I used to attend. I hated it--being exhausted before learning technique makes it much harder to learn.
    I think my class is organized that way because I belong to the "school of Judo" which is another term for a beginners only class, after you prove yourself to the coach of that class you get taken into the club's Judo team that does competition regularly. They learn Judo.

It's kind of like Spartacus, with a Gi, and without weapons. We're supposed to be tough physically more than anything to play with the big boys.

Or something...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 5:51pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judoist: instead of No. 9 try bar and beer. That's what we do every Friday. My coach is semi-serious when he says that beer is an essential component of Judo.
    I tried that, and it worked. But where I live, šljivovica is an essential component of Judo. And life in general.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 8:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    I think my class is organized that way because I belong to the "school of Judo" which is another term for a beginners only class, after you prove yourself to the coach of that class you get taken into the club's Judo team that does competition regularly. They learn Judo.

It's kind of like Spartacus, with a Gi, and without weapons. We're supposed to be tough physically more than anything to play with the big boys.

Or something...
    it sounds to me like the coach is trying to not waste his time on guys who are going to quit anyway. this way he gets to see who has heart.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 1:37am

Style: mostly BJJ with some Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    most of my classes are broken up as follows:

-bow in
    -running3-5 minutes...various ways (forwards, backwards, sideways etc) + stretching for a few minutes + push ups and sit ups
    -ukemi of various types 3-5 minutes
    -drilling....depends on how close a grading/comp is on what might be done for 20-30 minutes
    -randori for the remainder of the class....various types....for the remainder of the class

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 6:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recommend reading Ishikawa & Draeger's Judo Training Methods for some notes on class structure.

The classes I attend are almost always:

Warm up, with ukemi at the end
    Newaza randori
    Instruction in either newaza or tachiwaza, OR uchikomi then moving nagekomi, OR other drills
    Tachiwaza randori

Sometimes we skip the newaza randori, or put newaza instruction before newaza randori.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 11:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judoist: instead of No. 9 try bar and beer. That's what we do every Friday. My coach is semi-serious when he says that beer is an essential component of Judo.
    My coach / sensi is the same way. Our class "ends" at 8:30. At most, one or two of us leave before 9:30. We work out, clean the place, bleach wash the floor, then everyone grabs a beer (or 4) from the fridge. General rule is if you come 3 times a week and drink 4 beers each night, bring a 12 pack each week of whatever you like, put it in the fridge, then grab anything in the fridge you want.

In truth, the carbs in the beer will restore your energy levels for the next day, and the alcohol will numb the aches a bit. Just be sure to get water too, as the alcohol will also dry you out, and your muscles will end up cramping if you lean too heavy on the beer side.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 8:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The big thing with my school is we alternate standing and groundwork days. Our class is usually structured as:
    -10 minutes of stretching
    -10 to 15 minutes of exercises and warmups/rolling/running
    -5 to 10 minutes of partnered uchikomi
    -30 to 45 minutes of technique drills
    -Occasionally 10-20 minutes of grip drilling and/or sparring
    -45-60 minutes of randori, changing between standing, ground, or both (depending on the day)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12