Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 10:33pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bag work with sticks

So, I saw this video that Lonely Dog put out about his strategy for hitting the bag with your stick. I liked a lot of what he did with the in and out movement. He has a cool set up for a tire to strike on.

When I work my bag with the stick, I have one of those B.O.B. bags. I like it because I can work around it as well as in and out, like Lonely Dog does in his video.

I was just wondering if anyone else does similar type work or different ideas when you do stick work on the bag.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    4/08/2012 8:18am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    So, I saw this video that Lonely Dog put out about his strategy for hitting the bag with your stick. I liked a lot of what he did with the in and out movement.
    I like Lonely Dog because his build and strategy are close to mine. F'rinstance, I have the DB's Attacking Blocks DVD, but I never really liked the drill - I'm not likely to be driving someone back. Lonely Dog's Cycle Drills, on the other hand, work extremely well for me.

His strategy for hitting the tire meshes with that too.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2012 9:32am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice video, I like the hanging tire. I use a wavemaster and actionflex clubs inside, and outside use durattan sticks on any handy tree.

Having a target you can move around is really beneficial with the double sticks, switching siniwallis on the fly as your lateral movement dictates. This is a great way to "break free" from the patterns.
    Last edited by SteveM; 4/08/2012 9:53am at .

Posted On:
    4/08/2012 12:24pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the video. I'm surprised he used very simple foot work though, same lead leg, straight in and straight out for the most part. I expected more angling and stance switching before I watched.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2012 3:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is supposed to do some more videos so it may just be that he is building up to more. But this is the first foot work that I learned and use as my fall back.

I like his cycle drills video also, I use that stuff a lot!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2012 10:20am

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the concerns at the beginning of the video, and it's nice to hear people say that medio is a horrible place to be. Good drills if you like that style, but personally I dislike in-and-out movements.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2012 11:41am

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lonely dog's largo is outstanding. I've watched a bunch of his fights, and his covering of range, power, and slippery retreats are really good.

I like the concept of using range and footwork when drilling the tire, and often do this myself. Combatively, it makes a lot of sense. I really liked his consideration of defensive retreats, and wholeheartedly agree with his points here. Shoot, I'd even take what he says a step further and say that many drills that stickfighters do could use more range variance.

Purely for cardio and stick speed, I will sometimes grind things on the tire at medio, but I work on a swinging tire, and also aggressively work my checks if it swings toward me.

The use of a static tire, particularly a wall-mounted one isn't optimal, but he may have done this due to space constraints. It allows you to work your explosive penetration from largo, but doesn't encourage much angling. A hanging tire, with some room to work around it is better for this, and will also challenge your targeting a bit more.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2012 12:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RynoGreene View Post
    The use of a static tire, particularly a wall-mounted one isn't optimal, but he may have done this due to space constraints. It allows you to work your explosive penetration from largo, but doesn't encourage much angling. A hanging tire, with some room to work around it is better for this, and will also challenge your targeting a bit more.
    Yeah, that hanging tire he used at the very begining. I'm gonna try to set something up like that. Maybe from a tree out back.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2012 6:58am

Style: Lightning Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Yeah, that hanging tire he used at the very begining. I'm gonna try to set something up like that. Maybe from a tree out back.
    Lol I just saw this thread today. Our Thai boxing team uses these hanging tires to condition their shins but I decided to go to town on it yesterday.

I don't think they were fully aware of the options.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 6:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Here is the next video that he posted. Pretty cool video. I especially like how there are people floating past them in the river. I know people are wondering what these guys are doing.

We had a bunch of kids watching us in the park this week while we were training. They thought we were crazy.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast