Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 2:27am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Steroids and other PED in MMA

How common do you think this is, from the local shows all the way upto the likes of UFC, Strikeforce etc..

Whats your views on when a drug goes from being a supplements (Like Jack3d/OMR) to a PED?

In fact, does anyone know where you can find a list of banned substances?

For years I was involved in the bodybuilding scene and there even the naturals werent what you would call natural, there is always a way around tests etc..

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 11:20am

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drugs r bad, ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

"That was grappling. Real MMA."

"Where do I go for that?"

I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 11:26am

Style: karate!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thinks it's bad and most people use them. They should eat there Veges in smoothie form like I do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 11:50am

Style: Boxing, Rowing Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to see athletes be able to perform to the best of their abilities. I reckon that most athletes also want this. Steroids/TRT facilitate this to a certain degree, and allow said athletes to carry on performing past their sell-by date.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 12:52pm

Style: The Jits & Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately, as long as people are people, there will be steroids and other performance enhancers. Even natural bb shows are not natural as was pointed out. When I competed in 1995, we had to prove only 5 years steroid free. And the best shows made us do a urinalysis and take a polygraph administered by a former FBI polygrapher.

I wish that these performance enhancers would be regulated in sports. My solution would be to have sports which allow steroids. Then these peoPle can have a place they can compete with each other. And naturally gifted athletes can have their own competitive arena. These idiots are going to keep taking steroids anyway.

Cyborg was recently caught (no surprise there). She looks like Paul bunyon ****!
    Many others have also...too bad really! Makes it harder to compete legitimately.

I remember at my NPC show, I placed 5th where no testing. But my natural ABCC sanctioned show, I got runner up. The guy that won had been a steroid guy for years before and was just steroid free for the last 5 supposedly. He had like 50 pounds on me. It was ridiculous!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 7:32pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it interesting where you draw the line, I mean in BB there was the banned substance list, but you could still compete as a natural and be on all kinds of gear that wasnt on the list.
    Are you natural if you are on Creatine, Tribulus, 1'3 Dymeth? none would appear on the banned list but all would give you an unfair advantage.

I would love to know what some of these fighters are really on.

Can you imagine if you had a comp which had no drug bans, it would get insane!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 9:29pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as a list of substances I believe it depends on the sanctioning organization. Much like some states won't offer an execption for TRT use. I linked the WADA list below (PDF version) lots of words I wouldnt even try to pronouce, as well as a link to the California Athelictic commissions list. FAQ site which seems smaller and probably references the substances listed on WADA's list.

http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/Wo...st_2012_EN.pdf

http://www.dca.ca.gov/csac/forms_pubs/faqs.shtml

Oddly if you look at the lower left of the page, there apears to be minutes or an agenda for hypoganadism and TRT. I didnt open it and check it out but maybe I will later.
    Last edited by downtime; 4/07/2012 9:35pm at . Reason: better link

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2012 4:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    Unfortunately, as long as people are people, there will be steroids and other performance enhancers. Even natural bb shows are not natural as was pointed out. When I competed in 1995, we had to prove only 5 years steroid free. And the best shows made us do a urinalysis and take a polygraph administered by a former FBI polygrapher.

I wish that these performance enhancers would be regulated in sports. My solution would be to have sports which allow steroids. Then these peoPle can have a place they can compete with each other. And naturally gifted athletes can have their own competitive arena. These idiots are going to keep taking steroids anyway.

Cyborg was recently caught (no surprise there). She looks like Paul bunyon ****!
    Many others have also...too bad really! Makes it harder to compete legitimately.

I remember at my NPC show, I placed 5th where no testing. But my natural ABCC sanctioned show, I got runner up. The guy that won had been a steroid guy for years before and was just steroid free for the last 5 supposedly. He had like 50 pounds on me. It was ridiculous!
    Why is that 'unfortunate'? When the whole point of sports is to be the best one can be, what is unfortunate about practitioners pursuing means to enhance their abilities?

The stock argument, of course, is that using supplements to gain an advantage 'unfair', with which I can empathise. However, this idea stems from the desire people have to see a 'level playing field', or something like that, which doesn't really exist anyways.

If an American MMA fighter with a wrestling background goes over and cleans house in the UK or Europe (because wrestling is not widely available this side of the Atlantic), is his advantage 'unfair'?

Likewise, does a fighter or athlete who puts extra focus onto strength and conditioning have an unfair advantage come fight night?

Or a guy that has extra training resources (a pedro sauer bb in his camp, or an octagon).

Its not as if you pop a pill up your ass and suddenly have 18" biceps. IMO steroid use isn't characteristic of laziness or of athletes looking for a magic bullet, but the opposite. Amplifying this is that they risk their livelihoods, essentially, in order to be better performers.

The best years of some athletes' careers come as a result of performance enhancers: we see Dan Henderson and Chael Sonnen rocking and rolling, and its awesome.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2012 7:13am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu-Jitsu View Post
    If an American MMA fighter with a wrestling background goes over and cleans house in the UK or Europe (because wrestling is not widely available this side of the Atlantic), is his advantage 'unfair'?

Likewise, does a fighter or athlete who puts extra focus onto strength and conditioning have an unfair advantage come fight night?

Or a guy that has extra training resources (a pedro sauer bb in his camp, or an octagon).
    Yeah, and what if a judoka shows up at a tournament wearing a teflon gi soaked in glycerine? Should be fine, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2012 10:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Yeah, and what if a judoka shows up at a tournament wearing a teflon gi soaked in glycerine? Should be fine, right?
    Not really. That'd be him/her trying to sabotage his/her opponent. It wouldn't enhance their abilities/make them a better judoka.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast