221314 Bullies, 4061 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 40
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. itwasntme is online now
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,577

    Posted On:
    4/06/2012 9:33pm


     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Saturated fat

    So if you have read some of my other posts, you probably know that I'm currently incapacitated with a shoulder injury. I'm just looking for suggestions on foods, relatively cheap, that are low in saturated fat and high in protein. Even if it's not high in protein that's ok since I can't work out for about a month. Just about everything I pick up has saturated fat in and it's getting really old.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
  2. ChenPengFi is offline
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,257

    Posted On:
    4/06/2012 9:39pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is part of what i have for breakfast:


    http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-0-percent/
  3. Tzadqiel is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Where tornadoes come sweeping down the lane.
    Posts
    166

    Posted On:
    4/06/2012 10:08pm


     Style: Bas Rutten's MMA workout.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bag of lentils and a bag of brown rice about $5. Versatile combo. There are a ton of recipes for these online.
  4. jspeedy is offline
    jspeedy's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,616

    Posted On:
    4/07/2012 12:04am


     Style: FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For breakfast I've been experimenting with a recipe a friend gave me. It's kind of like an oatmeal pancake of sorts. 1 egg 2 egg whites 1/2 cup of straight up rolled oats oatmeal, just mix it together in a bowl and pour it into a frying pan greased with some light pam cooking spray. It's quick, easy, cheap and can be modified easily. I add some paprika and spices than top it off with a little fresh salsa for a kind of southwestern breakfast flavor. The other day I was trying to clear out the pantry so I went with the egg and oats as usual, than threw in a scoop of chocolate protein powder, a scoop of natural peanut butter (reg pbutter might work but the natural is runny and mixes easily), and a little honey to sweeten it up. It had that sweet breakfast food vibe that some people go for. Not sure about the sat fat of the whole meal but I'm sure it's minimal, you could always sub the one whole egg for all egg whites.

    Why are you so worried about only sat fats? Shouldn't you also be looking at sugars, carbs and the other crap that is not so good if you aren't active as well? I know very little about diet I just aim to limit sugar and empty calorie foods so these are legit questions not rhetorical ones.

    I injured my knee pretty seriously last sept and I made an effort to stay as active as possible but I could only do so much, most cardio was out for 3-4 months. I couldn't do anything for the first three weeks out of surgery. When I started working out I couldn't even bench. I had to focus on machines and upper body workouts, of course you'd be in the opposite situation. My point is I gained a little weight but managed to keep up some activity. I ate a little less healthy than I did before the injury but I tried to stick to an overall healthy diet, there were some pizzas and restaurant eating on the weekends. Of course, I was lean and active before the injury so your situation might be different.
  5. itwasntme is online now
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,577

    Posted On:
    4/07/2012 12:45am


     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    For breakfast I've been experimenting with a recipe a friend gave me. It's kind of like an oatmeal pancake of sorts. 1 egg 2 egg whites 1/2 cup of straight up rolled oats oatmeal, just mix it together in a bowl and pour it into a frying pan greased with some light pam cooking spray. It's quick, easy, cheap and can be modified easily. I add some paprika and spices than top it off with a little fresh salsa for a kind of southwestern breakfast flavor. The other day I was trying to clear out the pantry so I went with the egg and oats as usual, than threw in a scoop of chocolate protein powder, a scoop of natural peanut butter (reg pbutter might work but the natural is runny and mixes easily), and a little honey to sweeten it up. It had that sweet breakfast food vibe that some people go for. Not sure about the sat fat of the whole meal but I'm sure it's minimal, you could always sub the one whole egg for all egg whites.

    Why are you so worried about only sat fats? Shouldn't you also be looking at sugars, carbs and the other crap that is not so good if you aren't active as well? I know very little about diet I just aim to limit sugar and empty calorie foods so these are legit questions not rhetorical ones.

    I injured my knee pretty seriously last sept and I made an effort to stay as active as possible but I could only do so much, most cardio was out for 3-4 months. I couldn't do anything for the first three weeks out of surgery. When I started working out I couldn't even bench. I had to focus on machines and upper body workouts, of course you'd be in the opposite situation. My point is I gained a little weight but managed to keep up some activity. I ate a little less healthy than I did before the injury but I tried to stick to an overall healthy diet, there were some pizzas and restaurant eating on the weekends. Of course, I was lean and active before the injury so your situation might be different.
    I'm trying to watch carbs and sugar intake as well, though not being able to work out has sunk me into a depression and those have gone up lol. But those two things seem way easier to do away with than sat fat when looking for cheaper ways to eat a "workout diet." I eat more tuna than I can stand, peanut butter has a good amount of sat fat, lunch meats too. I'm finding sat fat especially hard to avoid.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
  6. jspeedy is offline
    jspeedy's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,616

    Posted On:
    4/07/2012 1:37am


     Style: FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    I'm trying to watch carbs and sugar intake as well, though not being able to work out has sunk me into a depression and those have gone up lol. But those two things seem way easier to do away with than sat fat when looking for cheaper ways to eat a "workout diet." I eat more tuna than I can stand, peanut butter has a good amount of sat fat, lunch meats too. I'm finding sat fat especially hard to avoid.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Fair enough, I get tired of tuna myself. Were you trying to lose weight before the injury? Do you have reason to be alarmed about your health? Are you a professional of some sort that must maintain a physique?

    If not don't worry let the injury heal, try to be healthy, enjoy life and get back into it when you can. Maybe someone else can comment but I feel better than ever after taking some time off from heavy lifts and regular training. I've been doing a kettle bell routine and am surprised at the gains I've made with a recovering knee injury, I feel like my endurance has reached a new peak and I feel stronger (or just as string) although I'm still recovering, although I'm sure I can't squat what I used to.

    Did you run much before? Are you able to with your injury? Perhaps stationary cycling or some other mainly lower body exercise will help you focus on other aspects of fitness to reach new heights. I'm not trying to derail the OP (see my sweet egg oatmeal pancake recipe) but if you're that concerned about diet perhaps you should be equally concerned about exercise options. An injury doesn't mean you can't be active. Of course maybe you already are active, I'm just throwing in my input as a guy that just struggled through a serious injury and is still recovering.
  7. TaeBo_Master is offline
    TaeBo_Master's Avatar

    Certified Fitness Trainer

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    4,033

    Posted On:
    4/07/2012 2:56am

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I'm a huge advocate of eggs. It's hard to beat the amount of high quality protein for the price. I don't think the amount of saturated fat in a whole egg is enough to be a concern. But if you're obsessive about sat fat, you can always filter out the yolk and go for the egg whites. Doing so gets rid of almost all of the fat. It gets rid of some of the protein also, but all of it that you're getting is about the best protein that money can buy.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!


    "You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

    - The Wastrel
  8. j-squared is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    13

    Posted On:
    4/07/2012 7:00am


     Style: Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lowfat cottage cheese. I think Greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt too.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
  9. cualltaigh is online now
    cualltaigh's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cooltown, SEQ
    Posts
    1,351

    Posted On:
    4/07/2012 7:29am


     Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't know what the supply of international foods is in your area. One I use often is take a tablespoon of miso soup paste (a source of protein in its own right), stir it in with 2 cups of water and add around 200g of marinara mix (though any meat can work really). Boil until the seafood is cooked. Low in fat, virtually carb free, only takes a few minutes to prepare and costs ~$3 a serve.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.
  10. itwasntme is online now
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,577

    Posted On:
    4/07/2012 9:29am


     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @jspeedy: I'm no professional, just a poor man trying to get back in shape. I appreciate all the exercise tips since this thread is about getting back in shape in a sense. The only reason I don't run much, aside from almost a weeks worth of rain, is I already have knee problems and I'm trying to avoid damage to my joints. If I had access to a gym, I'd be on the eliptical (sp) 3 or 4 times a week.

    @cualltaigh: Am I culinary illiterate or did you forget to add an ingredient to your recipe lol? Where I'm from, marinara is a tomato paste you dip your cheese sticks in. Is that supposed to be a seafood mix and I use 200 grams of it or do I add 200 grams or tomato paste and then some seafood?

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.