Thread: BJJ takedowns?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ takedowns?

For the sake of my personal safety I'm posting this stupid question here.
    During BJJ class allmost all of our takedowns appear to be wrestling based. Do that they are near identical the the ones I was taught in highschool. So my question is this where are these takedowns rooted wrestling, Jiu Jitsu, or other?
    To make it clear I am not trying to argue effectiveness or rather or not they should be taught during BJJ cass.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharon View Post
    For the sake of my personal safety I'm posting this stupid question here.
    During BJJ class allmost all of our takedowns appear to be wrestling based. Do that they are near identical the the ones I was taught in highschool. So my question is this where are these takedowns rooted wrestling, Jiu Jitsu, or other?
    To make it clear I am not trying to argue effectiveness or rather or not they should be taught during BJJ cass.
    What are you a fucking retard? You've been fucked by an elephant. Your parents abandoned you after your 15th attempt to graduate 1st grade?

Judo. BJJ came from Judo. Guess where their takedowns come from? Yeah. Anywhere they want.

Dumbfuck.....(heh no safety in newbietown for you!)

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Historically, old school Gracie methods were Judo-like because that's where they came from. IMHO wrestling is a better fit for modern BJJ and that's what a lot of places teach. There is some take down stuff that's BJJ specific, but it's going to be 95% technically based on wrestling or Judo, though strategically or tactically distinct.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is customary around here to thank someone for answering a question even if they did not actually answer it. I would not want to color outside the lines.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Historically, old school Gracie methods were Judo-like because that's where they came from. IMHO wrestling is a better fit for modern BJJ and that's what a lot of places teach. There is some take down stuff that's BJJ specific, but it's going to be 95% technically based on wrestling or Judo, though strategically or tactically distinct.
    Thank you that mostly answers my question.