Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2012 9:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Went to the doc today. Got a few x-rays and they came back negative for a break or crack. It still hurts like hell though. I guess rest, ice, and advil for me.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 3:04am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    Sit out and watch next class. Ice it lots.

If it still hurts in a week, go see a Chiropractor.

If it currently hurts like hell to breathe, go see a doctor cuz it may be broken.
    I agree with everything except the word Chiropractor

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Busey View Post
    Went to the doc today. Got a few x-rays and they came back negative for a break or crack. It still hurts like hell though. I guess rest, ice, and advil for me.
    That's good news. Any time you have a joint injury (and ribs are definitely joints), the most likely thing to be damaged is soft tissue. Unless it's a significant tear in cartilage or ligaments, these usually require healing time. As the old saying goes, time heals all wounds. Don't be a ***** and use it as an excuse to take way more time off of training than you need to. But, that said, take the time off that you need. The recovery time for soft tissue injuries can usually be measured in days or weeks; but if you jump back in the game too soon and injure it again (potentially more significant than the original injury), then you might expand that time to the realm of months.

So, give it its necessary time. Then, man up and get back on the mat
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 5:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with everything except the word Chiropractor
    I've dislocated ribs several times while training. Each time, either a physiotherapist or a Chiro was instrumental in making things better. The first, and most serious, time the rib was popped out in the front and back. It hurt like hell to breathe and sleep, and this went on for more than two months (still trying to train of course). I Had several x-rays and a puzzled Doctor. Sent me to a physio who recognized the problem immediately and was quickly on my way to recovery (3 sessions and a month of healing). I've used Chiros for less serious rib injuries, due to them being cheaper.

I am interested to hear your views on chiro though, out of curiousity and for the sake of discussion.

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 4:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My main problem with chiropractors are that they're hit and miss. There's much less regulation, restriction, and oversight on chiropractors and chiropractic schools.

Are there good chiropractors out there? Sure. Can a good chiropractor help you? Absolutely. But it's a bit like going to the pharmacy, picking a random medicine, and hoping it cures you.

- The Wastrel

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/07/2012 5:33pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have separated my ribs on three different occasions training BJJ. The first two times I went back too early and re-injured myself. I would advise taking the necessary time to heal.

Your mileage may vary.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2012 1:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the good advice guys. Can't wait to put this nagging injury behind me and get on with training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2012 7:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Up until So my body decided to stretch last night wow that sucked. Now today it hurts much more than even the initial blow. Is this normal? Maybe I popped it out of place again?

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 1:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can expect there to be pain for a while. If the initial injury was reasonably significant, the soft tissues attached to the ribs will sustain damage, like pulled muscles and ligaments. Soft tissues–particularly ligaments–can be relatively slow to heal. It's possible that you could have lingering soreness for 2-6 weeks, possibly more or less. Unless the rib is broken, for the most part you need to just let it heal.
    But don't worry man, it'll get better with time, and the pain will decrease.

- The Wastrel
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12