Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    4/17/2004 11:41am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capoeira is as good as the school you train at. I dunno if its in the FAQ but.. the quality of the instruction matters more than the name of whatever art it is.
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2004 4:34pm

Style: TKD & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capoeira is both a African and Brazilian art and there's is not fact that Capoeira was bought from Africa, It's just African slaves in Brazil developed Capoeira in the jungle areas of Brazil to escape slavery.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2004 3:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, I had chat with an African guy. He says where he is from, there is a martial arts which is just like Capoeira but without the same music. He also told me that the claim that hand stand was invented by slave whose hands are tied is not true because the movement exists in African ones as well.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/12/2004 7:03am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, stupid n00b that I am, I have to agree that it belongs here . . . there *should be* a thread on Capoeira history in the martial arts history forum, even if it's new, so that people who do the smart thing and look for the topic here *find it* instead of making a new thread. . . SO:

Capoeira was refined by slaves . . . it's a bit different then the african form (whose name I regretably can't remember), but yes, it has very definite roots in a similar african art. The main thing the brazillians did was dress it up and make it more dance-like and cermonials . . . they also blended in elements of different relgions, which is something that troubles some people about SOME capoeira schools/offshoots. . .

The weapons I've heard of being used in armed capoeira are short knives, cane knives (which is a horrible thought), machetes, and spiked/steel toed shoes . . . but I'm not a practitioner so that list might not be complete. I've heard this armed form refered to as machulate, although some people use that word for something else . . . or spell it different.

A problem with capoeira history and chronology is that brazillian slaves were not the world's greatest record keepers, or spellers, so much of the history is jumbled.

But . . . while it can be hard to find a good chronology of the development of the art, many of its early practitioners were fascinating . . . look up a word, quilombo, and start your history reading there . . . this is where I first encountered Cap, doing research on possible historic utopian communities for HS civics. I asked my Brazillian spanish teacher about it (this was in the mid-90s) and she wouldn't talk about it at first. I persisted, telling her it was for another class, and she started to tell me that at one point Capoeira had been outlawed, and in her youth in brazil, Capoeirstas were still very underground and stigmatized and it was seen as a sport of the 'lower class,' but later it was repopularized as a national sport.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 5/14/2004 12:39pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2004 9:25pm

Style: TKD & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The weapons in Capoeira is the maculele almost like two sticks which is part of the weaponry of Capoeira.

"Santa is dead kid, welcome to the suck"

Posted On:
    5/24/2004 8:10pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Search0wned
    I have niether the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manor of which I provide it.
    -A few good men

As the internet turns - omega

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2004 10:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capoiera is African N00b.

Get over it.
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2004 12:13pm

Style: Capoeira Angola

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by JohnnyCache

Capoeira was refined by slaves . . . it's a bit different then the african form (whose name I regretably can't remember), but yes, it has very definite roots in a similar african art. The main thing the brazillians did was dress it up and make it more dance-like and cermonials . . . they also blended in elements of different relgions, which is something that troubles some people about SOME capoeira schools/offshoots. . .
    Capoeira is pretty much secular, with occasional references to candomblé beliefs in some songs, but only portuguese or speakers with some knowledge of yoruban religion, or a yoruban speaker, would recognize it. The singing of the "ladainha (littany)" is a catholic tradition, but without the religious themes.

A problem with capoeira history and chronology is that brazillian slaves were not the world's greatest record keepers, or spellers, so much of the history is jumbled.
    Many of the slaves brought to Brazil were muslim/yoruban in culture, were very well educated, and provided the schooling for portuguese aristocrats before the portuguese crown was transfered to Brazil in the 1800s. The first university in Brazil were not founded until afer the Portuguese crown was tranferred to Brazil in 1808 fleeing from the Napoleanic War and established the Universidade do Rio de Janeiro, although there were schools connected to the church (jesuits), for instance. Being that the majority of Portuguese immigrants were illiterate, Portugal outlawed printing in Brazil, and even today, Brazil has virtually no public libraries and few bookstores. Getting back on track, after the total ablotion of slavery in 1888 and the formation of the First Republic, a campiagn was created to destroy all of the social records on slavery three years to the day. Historians since have been working to replace all that was lost.

Posted On:
    8/16/2004 7:28am

Style: Taekwondo,Boxing and free

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds about right it was disguised as a dance so they wouldn't be killed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2004 11:33am

Style: Capoeira Angola

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It may have been because of this that capoeira become more of a brotherhood and subculture, leaning more and more on the performance and ritual side than on the fight side. It became a way of unity with less focus on the violent aspects.
    Last edited by cafezinho; 8/16/2004 11:07pm at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast