Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2004 9:59pm

Style: the Random fist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Capoeira

As you can tell, I'm new here. But I'm not going to waste this thread with that crap. I believe this belongs here, so let me get to the point.

I have heard that Capoeira originated in Brazil during the colinization of the Americas, in which African slaves who still practiced their traditional dances converted it into a martial style to rise against their enslavers, and the hands were never used due to the fact that they were chained together. However, a person I was talking to *who didn't elaborate on this* said he believe this to be false.

Does anyone know if this is true or not, and if not, what is the real origination of Capoeira?

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/15/2004 11:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This could get messy......

Yes it wsa developed in brazil under those circumstances. I could elaborate, but there's a lot better info on the history if you look online, check out www.capoeira.com for more info. The hands thing is kinda bogus. They used hands just fine. A lot of their kicks were developed to be done while shackled, but hands were of course used. Cap was done largely with knives actually. There is more than one kind of Cap though, so be careful. Regional and Angola are very different.

That's all I feel like writing for now, there's lots of info online, and some ppl here know more about it than I do.

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 4:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believ the topic of Capoeira was brought up a couple of times. You might want to do a search and read up on the old posts about what others think about it.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 7:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a search, and it was only mentioned in like two threads. And I remember hearing something about weapons in Capoeira, but I wasn't certain if that was a newer adaptation or a much older one.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 7:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Searching posts for Capoeira and displaying the results as posts brought up 500+ posts.

Searching posts for Capoeira and displaying the results as threads brought up 183 threads.

Searching thread titles for Capoeira and displaying the results as threads brought up 13 threads.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 10:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I searched specifically in the "Martial Arts History" section of the forum because it specifically related to Capoeiras History. 'search entire posts' only show two others besides this thread, titles only provides this one.

was I wrong and should this have somehow belonged in another section of the forum?

~

Posted On:
    4/16/2004 11:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the martial arts hsitory thread is reletively new.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    4/17/2004 12:12am

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Searching posts for Capoeira 500+ posts.

Searching threads for Capoeira 183 threads.
    Starting a new thread on Capoeira and anoy the **** out of the Wastrel - priceless

There are somethings money can't buy

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2004 7:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I'm supposed to know out of all those god damn threads which ones specifically says the history oc Capoeira. I must be fucking psychic.

at least someone NOW tells me that this section of the forum is new. Yea, like a noob is supposed to fuckin know.

meh, I've already grown weary of my conversations on this site and with the people on it. This adds fuel to the flame and I don't see reason to stay actually. So never mind and later.

PS: I always love when a goon repeats something a mod says to make them look cool. It always makes me feel giddy and good inside, like they know what they're talking about. Makes you look REEEEEAL smart and mature.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    4/17/2004 8:00am

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    take it easy, we all had to get through the hard initiation.
    Plus in my opinion you can start a new thread as often as you like and people who feel the matter has been extensively discussed should just not read it.

With regards to my last answer - Wastrels post just reminded me of the master card ad.
    So stay on, have a good time
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast