Thread: Introduction

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Introduction

Hi,

I stumbled on this site earlier today, and since the commentary was so interesting I thought it would be nice to join.

I am a former Marine who studied Tang Soo Do and TKD in my youth. 3 years ago on a trip to Brazil I met up with some BJJ guys on Copa who invited me to join there training session on the beach. Shortly after returning to the US I walked into a BJJ academy in Maryland and was immediately put off by the meat heads to attempted to rip my arms off during my "intro" class. Nothing like my experience in Brazil... fast forward a year I tried out the new gym in my neck of the woods and never left. I've been training BJJ under Vicente Junior a 3rd Degree De La Riva black belt for 2.5 years now and I love it. I'm currently a purple belt, I should compete more but I've had a fleet of reoccurring injuries (thank you Marine Corps).

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. You may want to check out this thread so you can get set up with Military and BJJ Purple Belt tags:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94707

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understood that a purple belt (bjj) is equivalent to a black belt (judo)..is it true? and if so kudos on how quick you reached such a level.
    What injuries did you sustain?
    And welcome.

Style
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. You have an iteresting, varied training history. Thank you for serving this great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome! I don't think they do purple belt tags any more, but you never know. Either way, enjoy your stay!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    I understood that a purple belt (bjj) is equivalent to a black belt (judo)..is it true? and if so kudos on how quick you reached such a level.
    What injuries did you sustain?
    And welcome.
    I've heard that as well, but I wouldn't claim to be an equal to any one in Judo standing up. I pull guard religiously, I would say so on the ground based having rolled with several judo black belts over the last two years I think we were equal. They had a different game on the ground that was less fluid than most BJJ types.

I have a rotator cuff injury that was diagnosed in my 9th year with the Marine Corps. A back injury from a fast rope gone wrong and I separated my ribs twice while training BJJ.

Thank you, looking forward to posting here.

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, BigJay!

Enjoy your stay and I'm looking forward some MA-realted action stories... :-D

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Style
    Kyokushin Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome! As Slamdunc said, thank you for your service sir.