Posted On:
    4/05/2012 2:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Ah, bloodyelbow is a great ressource for this kind of news:

Overeem's testosterone level is normal.
    AND HE IS A HORSE.

Still not as juiced as Sonnen was, though.

Or, in a picture:

Find Overeem on this photo.

Lol you had me laughing so hard from that picture I hurt my ribs.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 2:07pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reem had one job in my world. That was to beat Lesner into the WWE. That was successfull. Anything else was just icing on the cake. So I am satisfied. I like JDS and think he deserves to be where he is. Ovreem can go back to whatever else he thinks he can do in his life. Maybe use his intellect now to start a carreer in something else.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 2:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    I think Mir's always been overrated and he'd get skullfucked by Dos Santos' anvils in less than 2 rounds, but there really isn't anybody else who makes even a little sense as a replacement fight.
    Hilarious though this would be as a reaction to a roid suspension, I say stick Josh Barnett in there.

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 3:45pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mir has shown his biggest weaknesses are wrestling and dealing with a larger opponent. JDS will be a better matchup for him than Velasquez, I think.
    I think it's really his shoddy striking defense and below-average chin that will cost him with JDS. An over-the-hill Nog nearly put his lights out with one punch, and you can generally drive a truck through his guard. If he can get Dos Santos down and stay on top, he's got a good chance. But it seems like a fairly big if.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 3:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    I think it's really his shoddy striking defense and below-average chin that will cost him with JDS. An over-the-hill Nog nearly put his lights out with one punch, and you can generally drive a truck through his guard. If he can get Dos Santos down and stay on top, he's got a good chance. But it seems like a fairly big if.
    I don't disagree at all about the strong possibility of Mir getting knocked out. But I also think it could be a solvable problem if he's smart.

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 5:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mir's on a 3 fight winning streak - against two over-the-hill legends and 1 decent gatekeeper. Last time he went in there against a high-power striker in his prime, he got flattened within a round.

Mir doesn't really have the offensive wrestling ability to get Dos Santos down or the standup skills to stand with him. I see no reason why a Mir/JDS matchup wouldn't end most unfavourably for Mir.

How about Werdum? With his recently improved standup, I feel he could provide a challenge for Dos Santos, even if he hasn't really earned a title shot yet.

Other than that, yeah, Barnett would be a pretty clear choice, and he could most likely put up a good fight against JDS too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 5:38pm

Style: Bjj, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    How about Werdum? With his recently improved standup, I feel he could provide a challenge for Dos Santos, even if he hasn't really earned a title shot yet.

Other than that, yeah, Barnett would be a pretty clear choice, and he could most likely put up a good fight against JDS too.
    Really? Werdum is 1/1 in his last 2 fights. And he's lost to JDS before Annnd he just fought in Feb resulting is this..........Fabricio Werdum -- Suspended until Aug. 3, 2012, because of a right quadriceps contusion; Minimum suspension until March 6, 2012, and no contact until Feb. 26, 2012, if he is cleared to return sooner. Werdum would have little to no time to prepare even if he's medically cleared.

And Barnett is slated for a May 19th fight in Strike force, and doesnt even have a contract with the UFC (he has one with Strike Force)

Do you even follow MMA?

Mir's already in a training camp and preparing to fight for May. If they don't scrub the fight he's the most logical choice ready or not.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 6:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Last time he went in there against a high-power striker in his prime, he got flattened within a round.
    Carwin, you mean? Sure, but Carwin also was bigger and stronger than Mir and is a more accomplished wrestler than JDS. He was able to manhandle Mir against the cage. He also hits harder than JDS.

I think it could be JDS getting pressed into the cage this time. And I don't think it's outside the realm of possibilities to think Mir can drag him to the ground at some point.

Don't get me wrong. I think JDS will be the obvious favorite, and deservingly so. The thing that always gets me when people talk about Mir is how quick they are to dismiss him as if he's nothing. He's a very big guy with great BJJ and heavy hands. He's a former champ who isn't ancient yet and he's as seasoned as anyone in the UFC. He's a very legitimate threat to JDS in my opinion.

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 7:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    Really?Do you even follow MMA?
    Yes, for a little more than a decade. It's a hobby. Do you have any hobbies besides being condescending towards strangers on internet message boards?

We are talking hypotheticals. I feel that Werdum's standup has improved, meaning he may be able to last longer against JDS than he did last time. Barnett COULD be brought over, although this would mess with the already severely messed-up SF tournament, and I believe Barnett is a handful for anyone on a good day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 7:54pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say that pretty much anyone in the top 5-6 is a legitimate threat to anyone else on any given night. The thing with Mir is it is entirely dependent on which Frank Mir shows up. Also, Carwin may hit harder than JDS but JDS is a sniper with his punches compared to the inaccurate Carwin and Mir can't really afford to get hit much, let alone with well-placed shots.
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast