Posted On:
    4/04/2012 7:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newbie's Experiences With His New and Shiny Kung Fu class

Hey you guys!

So, yeah, I'm new to all this MA business. I'm your standard weak 25 year-old nerd who has never had a real workout his entire life. Well, I've been doingsome nordic walking, but I figure you probably don't think that's all that impressive. I know I don't.

I'm actually serious (as in, telling the truth) in this thread, but I picked this forum because I think it's okay for people to troll on me a little. Treating each other with respect is way overrated anyway.

So, on one of my days walking around with my sticks, trying to swing my hips as girlishly as possible, I thought, hey, why not learn Kung Fu? The guy you used to play Tekken with used to do that and what he said sounded fun. Well, not the broken ribs, but then, in an utterly unnerdish twist, I've never been too afraid of pain. I know what migraines and ear infections feel like and I know what It's like for every organ in my body to be infected all at the same time ("kawasaki syndrome" when I was twelve. Look it up, not pretty. I'm lucky to have gotten out of it without lasting damage. And yes, my family calls it motorcycle illness) and I figure a punch to the nose is poppycock compared to that. The theory, as of now, remains untested, however.

So I went to google, typed in Kung Fu school and picked whatever was closest. It was a Chin Woo school at an undisclosed location (I don't want you tough BJJ guys to find me and beat me up for learning Wing Chun in one of your "BJJ vs. X style" videos) It teaches Wing Chun as a base, then Poket and choy lee fut (however the heck you spell it) once you have some strength and Shaolin stuff for leg techniques. Also weapons. (description transcribed freely from their website)

I got my first four trainings for free. After the first one I almost fell down when walking down a slope because my legs gave out. The next three felt a bit lighter, though I still sweated a lot. I had my first paid one this week and it really went to the legs again. We do lots of strength training and cardio and leg stretching, let's say about half the training session. Then we team up with a partner to do things like pulling them towards you into your punch or holding their arm, then kicking them. We're using a grip with middle finger, ring finger, little finger that seems weird at first, but is starting to make sense.

We also do lots of punch/block things starting from horse stance where we learn to twist our hips into punches. I'm enjoying the kicking the most, my legs have always been naturally strong even without exercise, so It felt good to kick the instructor with his mitts through the whole training hall with six kicks while others only managed maybe half that distance. I was then told not to break the mirror.

We have no master, we only have trainers, everyone's on a first name basis, there are no history lessons. My first training started abruptly, I was merely told to join the beginner class in their workout.

As of now, I am locked into a six month contract. I had to buy pants and a t-shirt and shoes. The training and clothes seem a bit overpriced, but not too much, and I figured that was okay because I really enjoyed my time and if nothng else it's better for fighting than nordic walking. (sticks might look theatening, but don't be fooled. They are made to absorb shock, are very light, and the other guy can twist your wrist badly if he grabs em) It's also a lot more exhausting in a good way.

Last lesson, we were all offered Wushu classes for an additional fee (reasonable) I'm taking the first lesson, which is again free.

I feel my body's already a bit stronger after three weeks of two lessons each (and some training in my own time). I might or might not keep a record here of how my training goes if you guys are interested (I'm fickle that way)

As of now, you're all invited to laugh at me for the stupid obvious MCdojo trap I've fallen into... or defend Wing Chun as the best martial art ever.

Oh, and another thing: typos are because of the stupid iPad keyboard. I'm usually conscientious about that sort of thing, apologies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 8:02am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First Nordic Walking, complete with the sticks, and now Wing Chun? You're an easy marketing victim.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 8:04am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome Lestra! Glad you are enjoying your classes.

I don't think anyone (really) has a problem with you deciding to learn Kung Fu and then finding a Kung Fu school.

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 8:07am

Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could be worse, at least they are emphasizing turning the hips, and tiring the little guy out.

Lestra, give it the six months, and if they haven't let anybody punch you, find a school that competes in sanda or san shou. Actually, do that anyway, if your school doesn't.

Then do judo.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 8:51am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am an easy marketing victim, though I guess victim might not be the right word since I am relatively conscious of what I am letting marketing do to me. I do know there's probably more viable stuff out there, but Hey, I gotta start somewhere :) Also, if it takes marketing to get me to move my ass, then long live marketing!

As for the hitting, there's another room in the kung-fu place where the more senior students train that I haven't seen yet. It's not forbidden to go there or anything, but they did say you probably wouldn't want random people gawking at you either, which I have to agree with.

As for sparring, I have no idea what we're gonna do, but I did hear people in the changing room talking about how that one guy had so much reach he had no idea how to get in on him. He didn't have a bruised face, but seemed exhausted as hell. I don't know how to interpret that.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/05/2012 10:22am at . Reason: randompeiple

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 8:56am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't get me wrong, working out is a good thing, I think. What are your goals, though?

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 10:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Don't get me wrong, working out is a good thing, I think. What are your goals, though?
    This might be confusing, but : no idea, honest. Right now I'm happy just getting tired out, hitting things and learning some left-right coordination :)

I'll figure out a reason I like after the fact, you know, kinda like history writers.

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You seem to be very out of shape, and eager to get into shape. You also don't seem to have any expectations for gongfu other than as an exercise routine. You're enjoying it enough that you're eager to continue with the training rather than giving it up. Sounds like a win all around, except for having to buy the t-shirt for a premium price. Even a six-month contract isn't necessarily so bad, as long as it doesn't auto-renew.

So good for you!

I'd be interested in seeing your school's webpage anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 11:02am

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Welcome Lestra! Glad you are enjoying your classes.

I don't think anyone (really) has a problem with you deciding to learn Kung Fu and then finding a Kung Fu school.
    Getting in shape is one of the best things you can do for self defense, and it's just plain good for you. You seem smart enough to move on to something else if your priorities advance. Welcome!

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 11:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I wouldn't mind learning to hit people in the face with the deadly while I'm at it, that's kinda why I'm here. I'll be using you guys as a control group for weeding out things I learn that I suspect are bullshit, if that's alright. As of now, however, I haven't been taught to rip out people's hearts through their anus.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast