Thread: Hello everyone.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello everyone.

I was looking for a thread to introduce myself but it appears that I should make an introductory thread on my own (do correct me if I am wrong).

I am a nineteen years old from Korea. I am 180 cm tall and weigh 80 kg. I have practiced taekwondo for five years, from 8 to 13 and now I practice kendo, which I started about a month ago.

My knowledge on martial arts comes from action movies likes of The Bourne Series, UFC matches, Martial Arts Thread in TV Tropes, and et cetera (I have no intention of getting into arguing the authenticity of my sources so I ask you keep any judgemental comments to yourself)

While I like grappling oriented martial arts too, I am primarily interested in striking oriented ones like boxing and kickboxing. Currently my favorite martial arts/combat sports are muay thai, eskrima, and Krav Maga, and I wish to learn one of them.

As all newcomers are, I am inexperienced, both to this site and to martial arts. Although I did read the notification thread's caution stating not to expect people here to be polite, I will trust the integrity of this site and will be civil.

Once again, it's nice to be here and I hope my visits to this site become enlightening and fun.

Thank you.
    Last edited by dRoy; 4/04/2012 2:12am at . Reason: Redundancy

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gonna get the obvious out of the way first- you reckon marineking is gonna take the next GSL tournament?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no idea what you are talking about, unfortunately. Are you sure you posted at the right thread?

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wait youre a dude in south korea and you dont follow starcraft 2?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am sorry to disappoint you but I do not play any game. In additin, Starcraft 2 is not that popular here just yet. Everyone still prefers the old one.

Style
    ALIVE!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome dRoy!

Kendo is great, but if you are primarily interested in striking arts why did you start Kendo?

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @SteveM - Thanks!

The reason is because my parents are really, REALLY, against combat sports as a whole but found the aesthetics of kendo more appealing so they allowed me to take up that one. I have no choice really, seeing how I have no financial power of my own.

One of the reasons why my parents are opposed to learning combat sports (as in boxing or kickboxing) because they fear that I might encounter bad, uneducated, and brutish crowd (yes, my parents can be quite judgemental).

Luckily, I am going to an American university this summer and it has a boxing club with a good reputation. I am pretty sure they cannot say anything bad about that one. Who knows, they still might come up with some ridiculous reason that they will force their authority upon for me to comply.

Do not get me wrong; kendo is a really fun martial art to learn. I am just more interested in ones with practical applicability. Boxing and kickboxing sounds good for serving those purposes.