Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 12:25am

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why do many people here hate Tae Kwon Do?

I've been taking TKD for a little over a month now, and i see it's looked down upon often in this forum. Why is that?

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 12:39am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally don't hate Taekwondo. I hate bullshit - which most Taekwondo is - but I don't hate Taekwondo itself.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 12:48am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinlolwut View Post
    I've been taking TKD for a little over a month now, and i see it's looked down upon often in this forum. Why is that?
    Because I did TKD.

EDIT: That's a little harsh, I don't "look down" on TKD, it is a fun sport for kids and grown ups alike. But that is about it. There are exceptions to the rule, but that just proves the rule. Also, what I learned in the time I was in TKD was far surpassed by a months worth of BJJ.
    Last edited by battlefields; 4/04/2012 12:59am at .
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 12:57am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did the REAL TKD, so I hate all others.

But seriously I did TKD, very much a freestyle version of it. Moving on from that, most people here hate their McDojo-ness and shitty training methods.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 1:06am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've known a couple good TKD bbs and one, when I mentioned the numerous problems, said, he didn't know about that, where he was from in Texas they called it Bar Clearing Tae Kwon Do.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 1:09am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taekwondo is renowned for it's incredibly poor quality control over all, which leads to a huge number of commercial schools teaching absolute tripe.
    Still, it's better than Aikido.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 2:19am

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a fine sport and can get you into good shape (it did when I took it), but it's the places that represent it as being primarily a "street" art that do it injustice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 2:41am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have done TKD for five years during my elementary school years. I do not really dislike it, but I am not a big fan of it either. I cannot say on the martial art as a whole, because I am pretty sure it really depends on which school and instructor, but at least the version I learned lacked practical applicability.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 4:54am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dRoy View Post
    I cannot say on the martial art as a whole, because I am pretty sure it really depends on which school and instructor, but at least the version I learned lacked practical applicability.
    The biggest problem with TKD; it lacks practical applicability. As several members have previously posted, TKD is a great sport. We can debate the issue of it being the individual martial artist (degree of dedication, physical ability, being open-minded enough to cross-train, etc), but TKD is lacking. I spent six years training TKD, and was gullible enough to drink the WTF Kool-Aid. I spent a lot of time and money learning something that qualifies me babysit and be a personal trainer, more than to teach people to effectively defend themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Still, it's better than Aikido.
    In my three months of Aikido training, I actually learned a couple of techniques that had a practical application. I also learned in the first month, that Aikido wasn't for me, and started looking for another style. That was when I joined a TKD school and really wasted my time. When training in ineffective arts in general, it is really just a matter of personal preference.
    Last edited by slamdunc; 4/04/2012 5:04am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 7:20am

Style: American Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's very easy to argue against. I for one enjoyed it as a kid. our instructor was Korean and would make us do continuous sparring cause he hated point fighting. I think it really depends on the instructor and how credible their teahcings are. Many an ass was kicked back then. I even remember a kid kicking me in the face and my tooth going flying out my mouth. good times.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast