1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    875
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Meet Jorge Linares. He lost it all in the ring.

    Jorge Linares seemed to have everything. He had a great promotional deal, a great trainer, and natural skills.

    Then, last October, he lost his title shot to Antonio DeMarco in what should have been a gimme. The fight, while good, was a stoppage on cuts.

    While Linares did lose, he was winning on points until the stoppage. The loss was understandable. Cuts could happen to anyone -- right?

    Well, this weekend, he was stopped again on cuts. This one was in the second round. It happened against a journeyman in what was supposed to be a stay busy fight before the rematch with DeMarco.

    The fight itself -- all two rounds of it -- is good stuff. But it's also a reminder that all it takes is one fight to lose everywhere.


  2. #2
    Tranquil Suit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,839
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He lost it all in the ring.
    A bit melodramatic, no? He certainly hasn't lost it all. That is what I would say of Gerard McClellan and the likes.


    As for the fight, congrats to the journeyman. That was a legitimate knockdown, regardless of cuts. I had him winning so far.

    (button in upper right corner) Settings> (left menu under My Account) General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    875
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    A bit melodramatic, no? He certainly hasn't lost it all. That is what I would say of Gerard McClellan and the likes.


    As for the fight, congrats to the journeyman. That was a legitimate knockdown, regardless of cuts. I had him winning so far.
    Gerald McLellan's a different story. He lost his health — which I agree is much more serious.

    As far as Linares is concerned, though, his "everything" has more to do with potential. Golden Boy was grooming him to be the next Oscar de la Hoya. Believe me, they put a whole lot of money behind him — and this weekend, it all went away in a puff of smoke.

    Think about this more as watching a Fortune 500 company go bust.
    Last edited by atomicpoet; 4/03/2012 9:58pm at .

  4. #4
    Rivington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    4,803
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Jorge Linares seemed to have everything. He had a great promotional deal, a great trainer, and natural skills.
    And too-early title fights (filling vacant titles no less), an inflated fight record thanks to fighting mostly underweight ham and eggers who just got paid to stand there and get punched, and no ability to adapt to his opponents when they actually decide to show up for a boxing match. **** that kid.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    875
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    And too-early title fights (filling vacant titles no less), an inflated fight record thanks to fighting mostly underweight ham and eggers who just got paid to stand there and get punched, and no ability to adapt to his opponents when they actually decide to show up for a boxing match. **** that kid.
    In fairness, Linares has been a professional for 10 years. If he's not going to step up now, when would he ever step up?

    Other than that, I agree with you. **** him.

  6. #6
    JohnnyCache's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,528
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Gerald McLellan's a different story. He lost his health — which I agree is much more serious.

    As far as Linares is concerned, though, his "everything" has more to do with potential. Golden Boy was grooming him to be the next Oscar de la Hoya. Believe me, they put a whole lot of money behind him — and this weekend, it all went away in a puff of smoke.

    Think about this more as watching a Fortune 500 company go bust.
    Boxing's system has crossed the line into over-grooming if you ask me. We're now seeing guys bog down when thwy have to really take a win. It's also criminal that a loss is so damning ... even dana white knows **** happens


  7. #7
    Soldiermedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,163
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jimmy Garcia lost it all in the ring(and by extension, so did Gabriel Ruelas). This guy? Not so much

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    109
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couple things. First off, if you've seen Linares fight you know he's got great skills/movement/coordination/timing etc. Second, he got stopped on cuts but considering how he was getting battered it's unfair that his opponent doesn't get his chance at a legit KO. Third, he did beat some good fighters (Larios, Chavez, Juarez) so all of this "**** 'em" stuff seems like BS fighter bashing. It seems to apply to someone like Zab Judah but not Jorge Linares.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO