Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 11:07pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Has anyone here ever used Isshinryu karate in a fight?

Has anyone reading this ever used Isshinryu Karate (or anything similar) in any sort of fight? I can't imagine someone throwing a hook at me and I respond with a 5 step move to counter it.

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 11:34pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish beast View Post
    Has anyone reading this ever used Isshinryu Karate (or anything similar) in any sort of fight? I can't imagine someone throwing a hook at me and I respond with a 5 step move to counter it.
    No. But I've never studied it either. Maybe you are asking the wrong person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 12:25am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    No. But I've never studied it either. Maybe you are asking the wrong person.
    Haven't studied it either...

Are you sure that you're not taking the 5 step counter move out of context? Eg the 5 step move to counter the hook is part of the grading/class (to ensure that you know how to do the moves). The difference between what you could use and not necessarily what you have to use to counter a hook.

In other words...To develop the application of the moves (whether it's for a single move or multiple moves), similar to bunkai of kata, rather than hard set moves.
    Last edited by kitkatninja; 4/02/2012 12:26am at . Reason: more info

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 8:33am

Style: Judofitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you should do the safe, tested thing and just Punch the Foot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 8:39am

Style: FormerShotokan,Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was this book on Isshinryu which I used to throw on the bad guys...

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 10:05am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I know about Isshin-Ryu I learned from Not Without My Justice: The Aaron Boyd Story (parts I, II, III, and IV), and the same author’s descriptions of interesting techniques he learned in the course of his Isshin-Ryu adventures, collected in the first post here. All well worth a read, or re-read for you forum veterans.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 10:08am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and of course the videos.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 11:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Something similar" covers a lot of ground. These pics are both "karate," but I'd imagine that the ability to use the art for self defense differs.

Name:  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  103.1 KBName:  egami2.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  8.9 KB
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 4:06pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure TS. I was five years old, walking home from kindergarten. It was a good day, I got to kiss a girl on the lips and I got a gold star for being so damn cool. As I made my way down the block, a couple of thugs came out from the alley way to my right. I could tell these guys were straight up Gs, hardened by years on the streets and rape in the state pen's bathroom. Clearly these 5th graders were hard.

I looked up at them as they stopped and stood in front of me and said "Sup brahs". They looked down at the kindergartner with and said, "Yo cracka, gimme your lunch money fore I beat yo ass like a dirty rug". I replied with a bart Simpson-esque "bite me".

Before I knew it they had rushed me, but before they could even throw a punch I was ready to kick some ass. One of the smaller ones rushed me head on. I quickly side stepped him and threw him on his face just like I had practiced in the dojo. Another came up to me and grabbed my neck, but I quickly broke his grip, locked his arm, and knife handed him in the neck, completely incapacitating him. Finally the biggest one came at me. Rushing in like Brock Lesnar looking for the double leg, and with just about as much force, he asn't ready for what was yet to come. I quickly jumped up and crane kicked him so hard, that it would make Steven Seagal proud and give Randy Couture PTSD flash back to his fight with Machida.

At last, all my opponents lay broken and forlorn before me, and I strode off safe and sound, all because of Itchin' Ryu Krotty.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2012 4:33pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @patfromlogan, Dante Ryu Jiu Jitsu is an example, I'm just thinking something with similar moves.
    @kitkatninja, well I'll give you an example. If someone threw a sucker punch at you, you were supposed to grab it, strike the bicep with a karate chop, and come in. Than you'd do this kimura type thing. I don't know how to explain it. I guess you can adapt it so that you hold the other arm with your off arm, but not much wiggle room.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast