--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPhoenix View Post

Hope that helps.
    Cheers, man. I'll keep it all in mind.

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 1:44pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I was doing deadlifts this morning and nearly passed out. What the hell? I hadn't had any caffeine, just a few swigs of a protein/creatine concoction and I don't think my blood pressure was up or that I was holding my breath.

Am I going to die?

Posted On:
    11/28/2012 3:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Am I going to die?
    In the Grand Scheme of Things: Yes.

It could be by a bus tomorrow or in 50 years time surrounded by satiated, satisfied nymphs, glowing from your masterful efforts and awash in empty chocolate wrappers.

But it's going to happen to you.

(Though hopefully, not to me).

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 2:31am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I have a film shoot in about a month and I wanted to tone up my arms. A while back one of my friends was on this push-up routine, something about adding more push-ups consecutively everyday. any recommendations for such a program?

i found this thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88415

after reading it i got a little nervous with emevas talking about shoulder injuries from too many push ups without pulling; would doing a couple sets of body rows every day counter-balance all the pushing?
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2013 6:55pm

Style: JKD / Systema

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you work trigger points out of your muscles completely, or is massaging them until the symptoms and pain and all subside enough?

I've recently read into what they are, found some in my shoulder that have been fucking with it for years. I've worked on them for a few weeks, no pain anymore but I can still feel them in there. Just wondering if they actually completely dissipate or if painlessness is the total outcome.

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 12:14pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedle Avenger View Post
    Can you work trigger points out of your muscles completely, or is massaging them until the symptoms and pain and all subside enough?

I've recently read into what they are, found some in my shoulder that have been fucking with it for years. I've worked on them for a few weeks, no pain anymore but I can still feel them in there. Just wondering if they actually completely dissipate or if painlessness is the total outcome.
    This could open a huuuuuge can of worms that delves into neurophysiology, but I don't feel like writing an essay.

The short version is that "trigger points" as described by Travell and Simmons are at best a useful construct for thought, but very inaccurate in terms of actual physical processes.

Some good research has been done showing that areas of firmness do not always (or even often) correlate to areas of tenderness, so hunting for lumpy stuff in hopes of resolving pain may not make sense. If you feel good and are able to perform the tasks you like, hunting "trigger points" is going to make you worry more than anything else.

Further reading: http://www.bettermovement.org/2012/c...that-knot-not/

http://humanantigravitysuit.blogspot...er-points.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 11:31pm

Style: JKD / Systema

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Jazz, I had a feeling it went something like that. I'm about to read the links now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 10:12am

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a few questions. Pea protein is at about the price that whey used to be, $5/lbs or so. Is there any reason not to stuff myself full of pea protein as opposed to whey?

What the hell happened to trueprotein? That site used to be tits, is there something out there that works like how trueprotein used to work? (make your own mixes and also well priced)

I find most questions about when to ingest things kind of silly, but there's a lot of info out there on how and when to take creatine. If you mostly build muscle while you sleep, and creatine is supposed to help facilate that, wouldn't it be best to take creatine a bit before going to sleep? I suppose I'm having the same thoughts about any "recovery" supplement.

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 5:17pm

Style: Does exercise count?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by legomepanda View Post
    I have a few questions. Pea protein is at about the price that whey used to be, $5/lbs or so. Is there any reason not to stuff myself full of pea protein as opposed to whey?
    Whey is what most research has been done with. I honestly don't know much about pea protein, but I can say that optimal protein synthesis is limited by the amino acids present in the protein source. This is the whole "complete vs incomplete protein" business, which is a gross oversimplification and not terribly accurate. However, it's been suggested the most commonly limiting amino acid as it pertains to protein synthesis is leucine, which tends to be present in whey though is dependent on the type. If you're paranoid, taking some form of BCAA wouldn't hurt, but sufficient protein intake will do the trick. You could skip the whole problem altogether by eating stuff, but supplements are convenient.

Further reading: http://spotmebro.com/layne-norton-ph...and-how-often/

What the hell happened to trueprotein? That site used to be tits, is there something out there that works like how trueprotein used to work? (make your own mixes and also well priced)
    Have you tried Google? It forwards to their new site.

I find most questions about when to ingest things kind of silly, but there's a lot of info out there on how and when to take creatine. If you mostly build muscle while you sleep, and creatine is supposed to help facilate that, wouldn't it be best to take creatine a bit before going to sleep? I suppose I'm having the same thoughts about any "recovery" supplement.
    Creatine's big benefit in muscle gain is increased ability to recover between sets. It stays in the system after you've been ingesting sufficient amounts long enough. It does not matter when you take it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 10:05am

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz View Post
    Whey is what most research has been done with. I honestly don't know much about pea protein, but I can say that optimal protein synthesis is limited by the amino acids present in the protein source. This is the whole "complete vs incomplete protein" business, which is a gross oversimplification and not terribly accurate. However, it's been suggested the most commonly limiting amino acid as it pertains to protein synthesis is leucine, which tends to be present in whey though is dependent on the type. If you're paranoid, taking some form of BCAA wouldn't hurt, but sufficient protein intake will do the trick. You could skip the whole problem altogether by eating stuff, but supplements are convenient.

Further reading: http://spotmebro.com/layne-norton-ph...and-how-often/
    That helps a lot. I'm going to try out pea protein the next time I buy. And yea, trust me, I eat plenty. But I also like protein powders.

Have you tried Google? It forwards to their new site.
    And it's all different, and different scares me. I remember there being a ton of variation available in the mixes you can make, where now it seems to be just protein and carbs.

Creatine's big benefit in muscle gain is increased ability to recover between sets. It stays in the system after you've been ingesting sufficient amounts long enough. It does not matter when you take it.
    That makes more sense. There's way too much non-info out there on creatine.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12