Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 3:21am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

General PT Q&As: Bring your questions here

I figured I'd start a thread for general questions regarding the purview of the PT Forum. Any and all questions are welcome here. Even stupid questions. However, because of the broad and open nature of the thread, I warn you: Trolling, bullshitting, and anything off-topic will NOT BE TOLERATED.

Ask anything you like here. But a couple of things before we start. First, although you will not get in trouble for asking a question that has already been asked, please do a little due diligence and read through the forum. There is only so much we can do in one thread. So if there's another thread out there that addresses your question, keep it there.
    Second, if you do ask a question that has been addressed in another thread, don't be upset if I–or anyone else–answer your question with a link. This is simply to save time for both the askers and the answerers. It's much easier to link than to rewrite an entire topic.
    Third, do not be surprised or insulted if your questions and/or answers disappear. As much as possible, I will attempt to consolidate questions and answers that have already been touched on by moving the posts to the thread that originally dealt with them. When this happens, I will do my best to send a PM to the relevant people. This is not a chastisement, and will not result in an infraction. It's simply for organization purposes. Also, if a question asked here gets a lot of attention, I may even create a separate thread entirely for that question. (links to all moved posts will be included in this thread)

So, bring your questions. Bring your answers. Show me what you got.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2012 3:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a friend, (a girl) that is joining my gym to strengthen up for her Judo. She's 15 and about 120-130 pounds at an estimate. I'm going to get her to do a fair amount of bodyweight exercises (pull ups, chin ups, tricep dips, press ups etc) and some weights. Although I think she should strengthen up all over, there should probably be some muscle groups she should focus on, based on my (rather limited) knowledge of Judo I thought the Back and Triceps, would I be right in assuming this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 10:07am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Supplements question.

I train 6 days a week, and I need something to recover as much as possible for the next day's training. I sleep 7 hours, I do 5 meals a day (honeyed oatmeal+ nuts/fruit for breakfast, apple/banana snack, chicken/tuna/pasta/rice + veggies as lunch, fruit/turkey sandwich afternoon snack, different salads for dinner (with some meat or tuna).

Recovery supplements involve the use of glutamine and BCAA. I have found a protein supplement with BCAA and glutamine ( http://www.dymatize.com/products/pro...ite-xt-2.2-lb/ ).

Is it better to use a mix like the one above, just stick with a BCAA+Glutamine supplement or take two different supplements (one protein and one BCAA+Glutamine)? My goal is to recover as best as I can.

I previously tried Herbalife's Rebuild Strength, which helped recovery but is incredibly expensive.

Thank you!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 6:13pm

Style: Karate, Xingyiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Eddy: I would recommend the big 3(Squats, Deads, and Bench) because it takes cares of whole body strength, and eventually work in cleans, for hip drive. Pull-ups, Chin-ups, and Rows because there is a lot of pulling and gripping. The Legs, Back, Biceps, and Forearms are used pretty much the entire time. For the body weight exercises, you should also focus on lunges and Bulgarian Split Squat/Rear Leg Elevated Split Squat, because she will be on one leg quite a bit due to reaps. Finally, definitely work in a lot of agility work because the strength doesn't matter if you can't change directions quickly enough.

@Sarzis: I don't know much about supplements, but I know a ton of high level athletes alternate between cold and hot treatments while resting. The take showers and alternate the water between Ice Cold and burning hot. At a higher level they alternate between an Ice Bath and a Hot Tub. That is all I could really say about recovery. Well that and try not to be stationary after a workout, keep moving about but nothing strenuous. These things will help if you aren't already doing them. If you are someone else will have to give advice on supplements.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 8:00pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding cardio:
    Am I right in saying that the best cardio training for fights/sparring is high intensity work in round-length intervals? Like, 2/3 minutes of bursts, combos and sprints, with minute-long breaks in between?

Also: is it true that jogging and running don't help much with endurance? Will my ability to keep throwing hard, fast punches be unaffected by the amount of running I do?

I've checked a few threads on the subject, and this is what I seem to be coming up with.
    Thanks in advance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2012 9:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Gluckmann: Yes this is the best approach. Train how you fight is the standard. Sometimes go shorter and sometimes go longer. A good approach is to watch a fast paced match and match your conditioning to it. When they are engaged, move at high intensity. when they are lightly exchanging move at a medium intensity, and when they feeling each other out, move at a lighter pace. This helps you get a feel for the pace of a fight. And a key to training is active recovery during your rest. It really makes your actual rest times feel like pure bliss compared to active recovery.

Running and jogging won't help your your ability to keep throwing hard fast punches all that much, but they will help get your lungs, heart, and oxygen delivery of the blood strong. Long Slow Distance has it's place and should be done, but don't let it consume your training. When I take conditioning seriously, I will add a run to the end of conditioning. Rarely going over a mile, but every once in awhile I try to go 3-4 miles.

Hope that helps.

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 2:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What am I missing out on by not doing LISS cardio? I find it boring and uncomfortable. I'd rather just go to judo class and do an occasional calesthenics/barbell circuit for condtioning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 3:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Lindz: Certain enzymes in your body are produced in higher quantities when you do LISS cardio, which leads to being healthier, but besides from that it also works in a realm that taxes, and improves your oxydative pathway. This pathway is used to supply energy for all of your low-strength longer length needs. It is boring and uncomfortable but it has it's place. And I hate that it has it's place cause it is my least favorite form of exercise.
    Last edited by JPhoenix; 11/26/2012 3:27am at . Reason: Grammar

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 6:39am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For better endurance in sparring and such, a trainer friend of mine suggested sprint intervals with slow jogging in between. I always thought that if i have an excess to a heavy bag or what have you than going 8-10 rounds with one minute brakes is the best. I guess diversity is very important.
    I recently went back to jugging, and i guess ill start adding a few "sprints" if someone have any idea of the length and frequency for a descent work out, including the overall run (im am no athlete, just your average 32 yo sport lover so no Olympic level crap please) It will be lovely.
    For my sessions with the heavy bags and punching bags in general. what would you suggest i do to improve cardio? shortening the one minute breaks? or doing something instead of a break?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2012 7:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Erezb: For the heavy bag sessions pace is very important. If you want a good test for heavy bag try this. Go 15 seconds as hard and as fast as you possibly can, and then you do an active recovery( jumping Jacks, jog in place, light shadowboxing, footwork/headmovement drills, etc...) for 15 seconds and do this for a full round. Rest for whatever time is necessary and repeat. It helps you break your pace when working the bag, and you can repeat as many times you want/can. You can also play around with active rest for some of your heavy bag days. Shorten the rounds and the breaks, or just shorten the breaks. Just make sure each time you step up to that bag, for conditioning, you are pushing harder than you were the last time.

As for Sprints. Look up any Fartlekking workout and you will see the basic routine. When i first started I would aim for 10 sprints of 6-10 seconds in a mile. This would have me going for about 1 minute to 2 minutes 20 seconds of high intensity for about 6 minute 30 seconds of total work. The jogging part should till be at a competitive pace for you, moderate intensity.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast